What's new

Spot Any Christmas Decorations Yet? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well, folks - it's August. You know what that means, right? Before you can say "Back to School" or even "Trick or Treat" it's only a matter of time before you'll find yourself bumping into something Christmas-related over the coming days and weeks at your friendly neighborhood faceless giant retailer (or mom & pop pharmacy). Anyone from NYC will remember the old Crazy Eddie commercials on TV where he started pitching "Christmas in August" sales - that was always my cue to start my own "pitch" to my parents for what I wanted for Christmas (they tried to ban TV watching for a while after I got on their nerves). During my later years I began to think of August as "The Beginning of the End" - the end of the year, that is, as we're well past the halfway point for the year and it's past the midpoint for the Summer season. This, to me, signaled the rapid movement of time (represented by shorter days) and quick succession of major holidays - Labor Day, Back to School (for you kiddies), Halloween, Thanksgiving and the arrival of that magical time of year called Christmas.
I'm older now so Christmas isn't such a priority (:D) for me anymore but as I got older I've noted that it doesn't "take forever" to get to December like it felt when I was a kid. Now all it takes is for the calender to say August 1 and shortly thereafter for Kmart or some other faceless retailer to start putting up their Christmas merchandise and it can start to feel like Christmas (like it or not) pretty quick.
Before you can say "Happy New Year!", can you say "Tax time"?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
While the phenomena of time passing ever more quickly as I age seems real enough, I prefer to savor the fall season as it morphs into the Christmas season. I tend to screen out anything I would see in August that is Chistmas related.

The only Christmas decorations that I have seen in the past 30 days are the strings of lights still up on the houses of those who are too lazy to remove them. I actually saw some "live" wreaths on a house this summer that, of course, looked very much like a serious fire hazard....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The timing of this thread is great. :D I was just thinking yesterday as I walked through a couple of stores that, with the approach of Labor Day, Christmas decorations on store shelves are not far away.
The sad thing is, if you want anything specific you need to buy it early. If you wait until November, it'll probably be gone. I bought a couple sets of lights in September last year. I was almost ashamed to take them up to the cash register. :blush:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just saw my first Christmas commercial today.
No kidding.
Viking River Cruises is advertising for Christmas cruises.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
ChristopherG said:
The only Christmas decorations that I have seen in the past 30 days are the strings of lights still up on the houses of those who are too lazy to remove them.  I actually saw some "live" wreaths on a house this summer that, of course, looked very much like a serious fire hazard....
I'm one of those lazy people that didn't remove my lights.
Spent hours trying to balance on a ladder in my shrubs, moved it every few feet, put all those silly plastic clips in my eaves, and even bought new bulbs so I could set them up to alternate red and blue, which is actually a really cool look. Not to insult anyone, but they came from a country known for really shoddy drywall so the result should have been expected.
All the color came off the bulbs within a few days, ended up with clear bulbs that are almost invisible from the street so said F*** it and left them up. I'll use them this year then into the trash and I'll try to get better quality stuff in the future.
And yes, these were the large, outside style of bulbs, not the mini or regular sized indoor bulbs. They should have lasted for several years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks