What's new

Sports Night re-release rumored to be coming in September (Shout! Factory?) (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Such a great show deserves, what appears to be, a great DVD release. While I'm glad to have had the original release all these years (this is one of the shows I rewatch most often - love the first-season Christmas episode), I'm glad it's being reissued in such a nice set.

I haven't gotten around to listing my old set on Amazon yet but I'll get right on that.

David Lambert said:
Josh Elliott ... appear in this featurette
I guess it can't be a perfect package.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Dave, am I right in thinking the set doesn't have English subtitles? (I don't think Shout! releases usually do..) If I'm right, I'll stick with the bare-bones BV release.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Elena S said:
Good news for those of you who like this show.
But what's with a re-release of a show that did poorly in the ratings and was basically a failure? I don't understand how they could release this over so many great shows that have been passed over.
One word: Firefly.
I will totally double dip on this one, my favorite Sorkin show.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm said:
I will totally double dip on this one, my favorite Sorkin show.
It's not exactly the same. Firefly is getting a re-release in Blu-Ray while Sports Night is just getting a new SD version.
Plus the original Fire Fly has outsold the original Sports Night 10 to 1.
I think My So Called Life is a better comparison to Sports Night. Both are cult shows that have a had a sub par release go out of print and eventually be replaced by a better "Special Edition".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wezzo said:
Dave, am I right in thinking the set doesn't have English subtitles? (I don't think Shout! releases usually do..) If I'm right, I'll stick with the bare-bones BV release.
Hmmm...hadn't thought of checking that yet (funny, I usually do, since my hearing is on the slow-but-sure decline
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).
I am watching "Ten Wickets" right now (well, NOW the credits are rolling on it, so it's about to be the next ep), and I just hit the "subtitle" button on my remote. The response was "this operation is not available". :frowning:
Sorry,

Wezzo

Second Unit
David Lambert said:
Hmmm...hadn't thought of checking that yet (funny, I usually do, since my hearing is on the slow-but-sure decline
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).
I am watching "Ten Wickets" right now (well, NOW the credits are rolling on it, so it's about to be the next ep), and I just hit the "subtitle" button on my remote. The response was "this operation is not available". :frowning:
Ah well - guess you can't have it all. :frowning: I do wish Shout! would start including subtitles though, their sets are otherwise perfect.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I got my set today thanks to Deep Discount and USPS.
Here's the breakdown as for content disc wise:
Season 1 Disc 1:
Trailers (1:24) Advertising Freaks and Geeks and Spin City Season 1.
Pilot (22:22) With commentary by Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme
The Apology (22:00)
The Hungry and The Hunter (22:20)
Intellectual Property (21:48)
Mary Pat Shelby (22:19)
The Head Coach, Dinner and The Morning Mail (22:25)
Dear Louise (21:00)
Thespis (22:25)
Season 1 Disc 2
The Quality of Mercy at 29K (22:23)
Shoe Money Tonight )22:24)
The Six Southern Gentemen of Tennessee (21:55) Commentary with Josh Charles, Peter Krause, Sabrina Lloyd and Director Robert Berlinger.
Smoky (20:29)
Small Town (22:24) Commentary with Editor Janet Ashkaga
Rebecca (21:35)
Dana and the Deep Blue Sea (20:54)
Sally (20:53) Commentary with Greg Baker, Kayla Blake, Timothy Davis-Reed and Ron Ostrow
Season 1 Disc 3
How are Things in Glocca Morra (21:19)
The Sword of Orion (22:23)
Eli's Coming (22:26) Commentary with Peter Krause and Director Robert Berlinger
Ordinance Tactics (20:53)
Ten Wickets (20.57)
Napoleon's Battle Plan (21:36)
What Kind of Day Has it Been? (22:23)
Season 1 Bonus Disc
The Show (33:47)
Face-Off: ESPN's SportsCenter vs. CSC's Sports Night (21:04)
Season One Gag Reel (11:48)
Original Promos (1:38)
Season 2 Disc 1
Special Powers (21:34)
When Something Wicked This Way Comes (21:33)
Cliff Gardner (21:36)
Louise Revisited (20:49)
Kafelnikov (21:36) Commentary with Greg Baker, Kayla Blake, Josh Charles, Timothy Davis-Reed, Joshua Malina and Ron Ostrow.
Shane (21:35)
Kyle Whiaker's Got Two Sacks (21:34)
The Reunion (21:30)
Season 2 Disc 2
A Girl Named Pixley (21:05)
The Giants Win The Pennant, The Giants Win The Pennant (21:35)
The Cut Man Cometh (21:41)
The Sweet Smell of Air (21:33)
Dana Get Your Gun (21:05)
And The Crowd Goes Wild (21:01)
Celebrities (21:36)
Season 2 Disc 3
The Local Weather (21:31) Commentary with Josh Charles and Joshua Malina)
Draft Day Part I: It Can't Rain At Indian Wells (21:04)
Draft Day Part II: The Fall of Ryan O'Brian (21:41)
April is the Cruelest Month (21:26)
Bells And A Siren (21:29)
La Forze Del Destino (21:40)
Quo Vadimus (21:37) Commentary with Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme.
Season 2 Bonus Disc
Looking Back: A Conversation with Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme (26:09)
Inside the Locker Room (21:16)
Season Two Gag Reel (1:54)
Despite having 2 more discs, the set takes up less space thanks to Shout Factory using 4 ThinPaks with 2 discs in each case. There's a little booklet that comes with it telling the story of how Aaron came up with the show, an episode guide and a floor plan of the show's floor.
The only episode I watched was the Pilot with the commentary and even on a 27" SD TV, I could tell an improvement in the picture quality. It's not much, but trained eyes can tell.
All in all, it's a set worth getting and double dipping on if you own the original bare bones set. Well done, Shout Factory!
As for the subtitles, I didn't check, but there is closed captioning, which I prefer anyways, since I use that when watching TV.

Michael Gunde

Auditioning
Elena S said:
Good news for those of you who like this show.
But what's with a re-release of a show that did poorly in the ratings and was basically a failure? I don't understand how they could release this over so many great shows that have been passed over.
Well it's not like Shout! have the rights to all the "great shows that have been passed over".

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
So can someone confirm the debate from earlier in the thread (I think it was this thread) about Jeremy's parents divorcing, and in the "previously on Sports Night" there's a scene that ISN'T in the prior episode? It has Jeremy talking Natalie.
Won't be bothering with this set. Had they managed to dump the laugh track, it'd be my first ever double dip. But since the audio track is the same, it's just not worth spending $50 to replace a set I spent $80 on in the first place.

Michael Gunde

Auditioning
From TV.com

"The "previously on Sports Night" contains a scene of Jeremy talking to Natalie about taking a couple days off to go home, due to his parent's impending divorce. This explains Jeremy's absence at the start of the show. The scene in question never occurred in the show, however. Instead, the news of his parents impending divorce was revealed during Jeremy's voice-over letter to his sister Louise during the previous episode, How Are Things in Glocca Morra? and the scene, apparently shot but elided, appears only briefly in the teaser."

That's the way it aired

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bonedwarf said:
Had they managed to dump the laugh track, it'd be my first ever double dip. But since the audio track is the same, it's just not worth spending $50 to replace a set I spent $80 on in the first place.
That was something I came here to mention.
I blind bought this Sports Night set, never having seen the show before. I like the show quite a bit after watching the first disc or so. I just wish there had been a MASH "no laugh track" option, because like MASH (and most non-3 camera sitcoms), this show loses something with canned laughs.
But it's a great show, and nice to see so much cleared music in it. Nice job, Shout.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The Obsolete Man said:
But it's a great show, and nice to see so much cleared music in it. Nice job, Shout.
Speaking of cleared music, for those who watched it originally on ABC and have the DVD, is ALL of it secured? I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive in the mail, but I didn't think of it until Shane brought it up; and I always assumed it would be all intact. Thanks.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I've recently gone through my Blu-ray/DVD library and this is the last remaning set in shrinkwrap.

FXX has been airing this with some music changes. I read that the same was true when it was available on Netflix Instant.

Which begs the question, does the 10th Anniversary set retain all of the music? I have yet to find a definitive answer.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Bumping this thread, because Chris Cook deserves to know. Music is a big part of his life, and he will not tolerate even a single music substitution on the 10th anniversary DVD edition of Sports Night.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I appreciate the effort. It does appear no one knows for sure if the music is fully intact. I'm trying to seek an answer elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks