1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Splitting Digital Coax Audio, please help.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jimintheb0x, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x New Member

I have scoured the internet, for what I thought would be an easy fix. I give up, and I'm finally willing to sacrifice the instant gratification of cooking something up tonight in exchange for a clear, precise answer on what it is that I actually need. My 50" LCD TV only has but one awkward external audio output-- digital coax. I want to hook up a pair of wireless headphones (1/8" phono) and also connect my surround sound system that has an optical audio in. I am already aware that I will need a digital coax to optical adapter, a digital coax to Analog RCA adapter, and a RCA to 1/8" adapter, but how can I effectively split the digital coax? I can't seem to find a splitter specifically for digital coax on the web, and I know that digital coax shouldn't be split using any kind of passive RCA splitter. So, if anyone knows where I can find one, or has a safe, workable solution, please let me know.

2. Mr645

Mr645 Well-Known Member

Jon
    Is there a headphone jack on the receiver?

3. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x New Member

No, it doesn't. It's one of those DVD player/surround sound box systems.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-27027-Toslink-Splitter/dp/B0002344GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361799636&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+splitter http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Digital-Coaxial-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B003L1AGVS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361799704&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+coax+splitter I guess neither of those exist.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    And, by the way... digital coax=composite video=shielded subwoofer. Those three cables are exactly the same thing. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Video-Splitter-Adapter-Female/dp/B003L1AI8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361800055&sr=1-1&keywords=composite+video+splitter http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-CYA-1M2F-P-Ultra-2-Female-Subwoofer/dp/B005DL2OVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361800113&sr=1-1&keywords=subwoofer+splitter

6. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x New Member

...really? Sarcasm? Not cool, man.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Just be glad you got the sarcasm without snark... Ha. Since you can buy the dig coax splitter as a male to two female for under $2, buy that. Two composite video cables of "about .5 meter" should be around $1 a piece(cause composite tend to cost less than "digital coax" or "shielded subwoofer"). Then your dig coax>toslink adapter/converter should be $5-$10(depends how "cheap" you want to get). You "might" be able to find a headphone amp with a digital connection. Mini-toslink to headphones was popular with gamers 15 years ago and those headphone amps are still made...

8. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x New Member

Haha, ok. Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already have the adapter-converters for digi coax to toslink and digi coax to RCA, and then of course RCA to 1/8" (the wireless headphones powered). That adapter you showed me was the last piece of the puzzle ;) thanks.