What's new

Splitting analog audio signal from t.v. good idea or bad??? (kind of long) (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
T.V.: Toshiba 32 inch t.v.
receiver: HK AVR 500
vcr JVC 7600
dvd player Pioneer 414.

Here's the scenerio, for me to take full advantage of the stereo expander from the t.v. analog audio and logic 7, I have the satellite box rca running through the vcr audio input and then out of the vcr into the t.v. analog input and then finally monitor out of the t.v. into the HK. Together Stereo Expander and Logic 7 makes all the information directed to the surrounds that much more discrete to me hence creating the closest 5.1 sound. The DVD player is hooked up via coax as well as through the vcr's analog additional input.

Of course 5.1 material isn't the concern here but when I watch a DVD movie that has only Dolby Digital 2.0 or surround, I can change the digital output on the DVD player for PCM and therefore take advantage of logic 7 on non 5.1 material, but with a side by side comparison, I find that using the analog output from the the vcr through the t.v. has better surround seperation than the PCM from the coax digital connection. Granted PCM has more punch with bass but I can address that by simply making the adjustments accordingly. Since I'm using the HK as the video switcher, when I switch to DVD on the HK it only has the coax digital connection. For me to enjoy the analog connection through the t.v.'s stereo expander, I would of course change the vcr to the secondary input from the DVD and compromise the picture because the dvd player is connected to the vcr via composite from the DVD player and then into a composite to s-video adapter which I think is not as good as the direct s-video connection via the DVD input on the receiver.

Phew, now that being said, splitting the analog audio signal from the the t.v. into video 1 of the receiver and analog connection of the DVD section of the HK will allow me to enjoy the sound I desire, and the picture with out switching to the vcr picture. Is this a good idea by splitting the signal, will I lose anything when I do this or can I maintain the sound integrity by using of course monster cable to perform the tasks. Sorry it's long but this would be the final connection needed to make the system really user friendly.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Thoroughly confused...

but a simple answer: with any split comes loss. The dB loss in an analog audio split is going detrimentally affect the signal to noise ratio, raising the level of noise as compared to the actual audio signal...

Also, every component that a signal passes through will create loss...

Bottom line... if it sounds good to you, you haven't acheived enough loss to affect your listening experience.

If you want to have the least amount of loss, take your output and run it through a distribution amplifier. Each output of the DA will be at full strength for the components it feeds.

-Scott

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I know, sorry for the confustion and thanks for the response. I'm not familiar with a distribution amplifier, I can understand what it does, where do I get this from?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks