What's new

splitting a composite video signal? (1 Viewer)

superdinoyoshi

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Heres my dilema. I have a TV tuner I use to take screenshots of videogames. However, there is about a 3 second lag, i guess because the tuner has to convert the analog signal to something for the computer. Anyway, because of this, its difficult to actually play a game and get to certain portions of a game and take screenshots of it. So i had the idea of splitting the video signal that a given console gives off, sending one cable into a tv and another into the tuner, so i can play the game, and take screens of it. Is there some way I can do this?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've never used one for video, but you can try a "Y" adapter:

You can get a cheap one at Wal Mart or Lowe's, or a little bit better one at Best Buy, Tweeters, etc......
Good luck!

adam613

Agent
Real Name
Adam
Keep in mind that the tuner is still going to be 3 seconds behind...this is an issue with most TV cards. If you're recording the entire sequence, this won't be an issue, since you are using another display source, but if you're trying to take screenshots, it might still be problematic.

Ron Connolly

Agent
Real Name
Ron
superdinoyoshi, if you are trying to take a screen shot off a computer display, there is freeware available called "Snagit" which is a very useful tool when wanting to capture what is being displayed on the computer monitor. You can Google it and download it for free.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You cannot simply split a video signal. It will mess up the 75 ohms that the video signals require. (Audio does not have this problem - that Monster "Y" cable is for audio).

The screen-capture program that Ron suggested is a better idea.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I use SnagIt myself. It's a good program. I had forgot about it. I don't see a free version of it anymore though. There is a free trial:
http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

I wasn't sure how splitting video with a "Y" adapter would work, but video is split all the time, with cable splitters (run cable tv to another room).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks