1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Split HDMI into receiver and TV?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by darrenkperth, Apr 22, 2013.

1. darrenkperth

darrenkperth New Member

Darren
    I have a bit of a dilemma, my receiver (Yamaha RXV 3900) doesn't have ARC or can pass through 3D video and I'm using a PS3 for Bluray. When I'm watching regular BD's, I plug the PS3 > receiver > Screen (LG 60LM9600), however when I want to watch a 3d BD, I have to switch to a dedicated HDMI lead that goes directly from PS3 to the TV and then optical cable from TV to the receiver for audio.
    Heres the problem, I tried to watch Avatar and that doesn't have a Dolby 5.1 english track, only Dolby Master HD – which my TV cannot pass through. So all I get is a stereo PCM mix. Obviously now I'm torn between 3D and surround (surround wins by the way). Questions is, can I split the HDMI and go PS3 > splitter and a) one hdmi with full audio going to the receiver and b) a second HDMI going directly to the TV for 3d?
    Thanks in advance...

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Nope.

Signal split to two sources is "dumbed down" to least denominator...

No 3d because of the AVR...
    No 5.1 because of the TV.

You could ;always buy one of the twin HDMI out BD players on the market. Panasonic made a couple. Other than Oppo and Marantz, there are a few others.

3. darrenkperth

darrenkperth New Member

Darren
    Thats what I feared.. thanks for that..

Now the question is, new BD player or new AVR - either way, the minister for finance and recreation (my wife) will not be pleased.