What's new

Split Credits and Logos/ Reprised... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Ahh, something to bring you back. Flipping through the channels and came across CBS 2 NY. Instead of doing the usual split screen credits for the upcoming news broadcast/promo, they just did a voice over instead. I havn't watched CBS in the last two weeks, so have they started to change their practices? Doubtfull, but worth asking..

Speaking of wich, a wayward thought hit me. I wonder how the actors and people in the credits feel when their work is interupted, sped up, or not shown at all due to split screens, or interupted via network bugs? If they are as annoyed as we are, maby they can make some kind of fuss about it that would make a difference?

Networks got by just fine in the last 40 years without them on 24/7, even in the days of cable, why bother starting now...

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If they are as annoyed as we are, maby they can make some kind of fuss about it that would make a difference?
I wish they would do something.

On a somewhat related note, did FOX stop doing their "pop-up" ads during the shows? I don't remember seeing any on Sunday. (The local affiliate started doing their own stupid pop-up ads, however. :angry: All of them were for the show Banzai, and they showed them DURING Banzai, and on shows AFTER Banzai!)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
On a somewhat related note, did FOX stop doing their "pop-up" ads during the shows?
If anything, the Simpsons episode "Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington" from last season should've convinced them to stop doing it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, those split screens are horrible! This is outside of the fact that they have voice-overs too!

I'd like to know how they get away with that. If I rent out a movie to a station, don't they have to show all of it?

Better yet, it would be neat to make up a new contract forbidding them from doing that, and not telling them - and having some sort of a fine for screwing it up!

Glenn

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
These are one of two reasons I can no longer watch network television. The second one is, of course, the unutterably horrible programming.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That is a riot, Jeff. I didn't go that far into it but it looks like they never mentioned anything about protecting themselves from thieves, which was the original idea behind that mess in the first place.

Glenn

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I won't even allow anything shot by me to appear on America's Funniest Videos with a network bug on it! People who work on shows shouldn't allow it either!
I've quit watching TV altogether because of this, but I just got a DVD recorder and have been dubbing old tapes of TV broadcasts. It was fun watching an ABC showing of "Vega$" from 1980, with an extremely smeary film transfer, but at least there were NO logos or anything else onscreen during a single frame! They did however do a voiceover during the end credits, which pissed me off enough back then. (I don't even have my antenna hooked to the DVD recorder, or my VCRs now for that matter.)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how the actors and people in the credits feel when their work is interupted, sped up, or not shown at all due to split screens, or interupted via network bugs?
Jeff already took my answer about Matt Groening disliking it.

Don't these damn stations have enough time to advertise during the commercials???? How about the new TNN with their damn helicopter fly by promoting Ren & Stimpy, Stripperella, and Gary the Rat? Those pretty much take up half the screen :angry:

I wrote to my local Fox station (here in CT) that I have now switched to watching the Fox station out of NY because their damn logo is burned into my RPTV :angry: :angry: I doubt if it made much impression, but it makes me feel a little better.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that when the local FOX affiliate here squeezes the credits (during local programming), it makes the closed-captioning stop working. Has anyone else noticed this on other stations?

A few weeks ago, this station also put a pop-up ad that covered the phone number during America's Most Wanted!

I finally wrote and complained about all of the pop-up ads, credit squeezing, etc. I never got a reply, but I looks like they've at least stopped putting pop-ups during AMW.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I laughed last time I saw part of "America's Most Wanted"- since they keep the "FOX" bug on all the time now it was on even during the title card, so it read as "America Fights Back Fox".

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that when the local FOX affiliate here squeezes the credits (during local programming), it makes the closed-captioning stop working. Has anyone else noticed this on other stations?
Yes, complain. Alert them that this practice is ILLEGAL (not letting closed captions pass-thru). I've called both the local Fox and WB stations, and the threat of alerting the FCC made the pop-ups disappear immediatly.... it was later replaced with a non-interfering technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks