What's new

SPL meter worth the purchase? (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I am planning to get a used SPL meter from eBay, the older RS model, the 33-2050 I believe. I'm in Canada, and I haven't checked, but I'm sure the new analog model, the 33-4050 is probably $60 CDN or more if the canadian radioshacks even carry it!

One question I have is: is it important/better to mount the SPL meter on a tripod? I'm asking this because I guess while you're holding it in your hands it moves around and probably causes "noise" when being held and shook, etc.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

It isn't critical. The recommended settings for adjusting your speakers is 'C' weighted and slow response.

What *is* important is that you not stand directly in front of or behind the meter while taking the readings. Your body can both shadow and reflect the sound you're trying to measure.

I always sit to one side of the sweet spot and hold the meter at arm's length, head height, and pointing up at the ceiling. Meter in one hand, remote in the other, and make the adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks