1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

SpikeTV acquires rights to Star Wars film franchise.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Casey Trowbridg, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Well-Known Member

From Variety via Pro Wrestling Insider

That's a lot of coin.

2. RickER

RickER Well-Known Member

Rick
    Bet you get commercials every 3 minutes with it, and those wonderful pop up ads that cover a good 40% of the screen. Not to mention it will be pan and scan. But i dont watch much TV for those very reasons anyway. But if Spike has $50 million burning a hole in their pocket. God Bless DVD.

3. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Well-Known Member

WOOKIE SMACKDOWN!!!! [​IMG]

4. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Well-Known Member

How does this offset the loss of WWE? Are they planning on running 1 a week for eternity? 2008? I just can't see spending that much money on movies that most everyone will own in a better form by then.

5. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Well-Known Member

yeah spending 70mil to offset a "loss" doesn't sound like smart business.. especially if the channel doesn't make it to 2008!!

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Well-Known Member

So the films won't hit for another year and half, after the 30th Anniversary (if it is celebrated), possibly after HD versions have been released to consumers. Wow, Spike is either incredibly stupid, or...well, I can't think of anything but incredibly stupid. I hope that it doesn't mess with HD airings, since I don't think Spike has plans to go high-def in the near future.

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Well-Known Member

Do people actually know how to find Spike TV? And will the chance at watching Star Wars for the 14th time actually make them care enough to look? How is this worth $70 mil? Man, I just think of all the money that is over spent and think, "Why can't they pay $60 mil and give me $10mil?"

8. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't get it. Who watches this kind of high-profile movies on TV anyway, when you can rent them in much better quality and commercial free for just a few bucks, or buy them and watch them whenever?

This makes no sense to me. Unless they also got a first-look option for the Star Wars TV-series or something.

9. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

After spending $70 million, Spike will pretty much become the Star Wars movie channel. They'll be play the movies an obscene amount of times and will be charging a good amount of money for ads during the movie. Each movie will run at least 3 hours on TV which means anywhere from approximately 55 to 35 minutes (depending on the movie) of commercials each time each movie plays. That's alot of ads. They'll charge more for ad time because it's Star Wars and it's exclusive to them. They'll easily make their money back.

It's not like Spike agreed to pay $70 million because they don't think that they can make that much money from advertising.

As for a first look option on the TV series, I'm sure they plan on having a network (if only for the budget) for the series not a cable channel known for MXC and CSI reruns. [​IMG]

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Methinks the title of this thread should say that Spike bought the rights to show the Star Wars films! [​IMG]

11. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Well, it could be part of a new push by Spike to become a "real" channel like Bravo or F/X. The budget for the Star Wars TV show is about $1.8M/episode (according to Rick McCallum in Entertainment Weekly), so I think a smaller cable-only network could carry it (it's not unlikely that it follows the Star Wars movie model and will be self-financed by LucasFilm and then sold to the network, so they wouldn't have to put any money up front).