What's new

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

theforce.net reports:
From what I’ve gathered from other internet news sources, Lucasfilm is doing a major overhaul to the original films in terms of image quality. But what I know hasn’t been seen on the net yet. Basically what you need to know is that the movies will be interactive – it wont be mandatory during film viewing, but you will have the option of learning more about the people and places depicted in various scenes. For instance, when Indy is in Cairo, you can stop to learn more about Northern Africa during the 1930s.
And I’ve also read rumors on other news sites that the DVDs wont be released as a trilogy, but one at a time over the next three years, with Raiders set to be released by Christmas 2003. I know the only "information stops" that have been worked on so far are related solely to places Indy went in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I would presume that this release schedule is correct.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
According to The Digital Bits, an announcement on the Indy films should be made in the next few weeks.
The Rumour Mill, date 4/28/03
So the discs will only be available in the box set, 4 discs in total. Cue disappointment from those who only want Raiders. Personally, I'm wanting all three, so I'm happy.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am not interested in Last Crusade, but it's not a big deal. It was the same thing for me with Godfather and BTTF III.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't seen it in this thread, according to USA Today, Indy is coming.
(1981), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) and an bonus disc loaded with extras. Among the material: new interviews with Ford, producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg. Each film was remastered in surround sound and restored digitally. "We're not just putting out a vanilla version (of the film on DVD)," Lucasfilm's Jim Ward says.
When Spielberg edited ET the Extra-Terrestrial last year for the long-awaited DVD release, he digitally removed some guns because of the film's young audience. But no changes were made to the Indy series.
What took so long? "Both (Lucas and Spielberg) found a pocket of time," Ward says.
Fans will have to be patient before Lucas' first three Star Wars episodes reach DVD. "We're not sure when exactly, but it will be coming out someday."
As I said in the other thread (and raise here as this was a significant subject of discussion on this thread):
Could it possibly be? No mention of "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark"!
YAY!!!!
I'm probably counting my chickens before they've hatched, but I can hope.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Yes! Yes! And for a topper - no changes. This means to me that the beginning of Raiders was not changed by adding IJ and the..

Can't wait to see the spines, and am wondering if Raiders is in the middle, as it should be. the article above seemed to imply that Raiders was 1st.

Also, as discussed here previously, no DTS. Lucas doesn't like it, but as none of these were ever really in 5.1 anyway, no biggie. Can't wait to put one in and crank it up!!

Forgot to mention I'm counting the days, and it is at 182. One half of a day short of 1/2 of a year. Odd?

Glenn

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Heck Jaws and Back To The Future where not 5.1 movies ether if my memory is correct? So I am sure that it would only help the sound in general. And I have to agree Glenn that Lucas does not like DTS! Lucas is good friends with Ray Dolby and has a financial partnership with Dolby Digital EX. I can only say I am disapointed that Raiders will not be in DTS, and I was equally disapointed when Star Wars 1 & 2 was not in DTS. I will still be in line to buy this trilogy just the same. Just like when BTTF was in DD only I still purchased the trilogy.

Am counting the days till Raiders will be released on DVD. As long as it is not misframed I will be happy to have it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Also, as discussed here previously, no DTS. Lucas doesn't like it, but as none of these were ever really in 5.1 anyway, no biggie.
OTOH, the Indy movies all had a 70mm 6 Track soundtrack, so a DTS could have been used to approximate it.

I think Paramount also had a hand at no DTS, since they say it compromises video quality. Regardless, I'm still eager to buy the boxset, DTS or no.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Dave - Misframed!?!?!? They wouldn't dare! Please get that thought out of your mind They'd never mess that up.

and Richard - DTS does take up a lot more room, so unless the movie is a short one, DTS would compromise the video quality, and as these are like 2 hours long each, it would be a no-no, unles they went to 18, but like Dave said, Lucas and Dolby are hitched up, for better or for worse.

I still can't wait to hear that boulder come rushing down towards Indy. I know that will send a chill right through me.

As for the spines, I had this sick and evil thought. I can see someone like Jay Leno getting an advance copy of the set and saying something like, "Well, you know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Oh, and what is with this?" (They do a close up of the spine) "These are numbered 23, 4 and 5. What happened? Are we missing 22 more movies?" (being absolutely clueless to YIJ)- and then he says, Oh, and these numbers aren't even correct. Raiders came out first!"

I'd just love to see something like that on the tube somewhere.

Glenn

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Found this on R2 dvd...
MAKING OF INDIANA JONES TRILOGY - PART 1: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK" 50m 47s
"MAKING OF THE INDIANA JONES TRILOGY - PART 2 - TEMPLE OF DOOM " 41m 6s
"MAKING OF THE INDIANA JONES TRILOGY - PART 3 - LAST CRUSADE" 35m 0s

"The Stunts Of Indiana Jones" 10m 52s
"The Light And Magic Of Indiana Jones" 12m 22s
"The Music Of Indiana Jones" 12m 24s
Looks like we might get some decent extras after all..Not just fluff!
Now we only need those deleted scenes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks