What's new

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Speilberg is an idiot. Either release all three at once or all four at once, enough with this release one copy at a time then after everyone has bought them release a boxed set so they have to spend more money.
But if the evential box set is just the previous discs repackaged, then why would you care? Personally, I'd rather see a quality package like the SW 1&2 discs, but if they can pull it off for all three at once-great. If not, I'd rather get em one at a time (meaning that I can skip temple). If they choose to go the godfather route-great. There were enough extras there for me, and it was a nice little package (except the disc sleeves were a little cheap...) Either way, it's a win-win situation.

StevenJ

Stunt Coordinator
True, but the only special features on the discs will be behind the scenes, and if we're lucky a few deleted/alternate scenes. That's it, no commentary, because Speilberg is a jerk!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Yes, quite a jerk. The way that he fought to get the original E.T. availiable outside of the gift set was unforgiveable. And the wealth of special features? That was awful as well. [/sarcasm off]

-Dave

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Steven,
Disagreeing with Spielberg's position is one thing, but calling him an idiot or a jerk and then stating your hatred for the man really doesn't reflect well on you or your point of view on this matter.

Crawdaddy

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I personally don't understand why everyone seems to hate Temple of Doom.
Let me count the ways:
1. Short Round
2. Kate Capshaw's whining
3. The glowing rocks
4. Short Round
5. Its sluggish pace
6. Short Round
Now, lest you think I'm being too hard on the film, I do love the opening sequence. In fact, the first few minutes of the film contain probably just about the most brilliant set piece in all three Indiana Jones movies. However, most of the rest of Temple of Doom just doesn't cut it for me. Did I mention Short Round?
Just my $.02, of course. Your mileage may vary. :)
Regarding the issue at hand, I have to admit that I will buy the series any way that its offered. If I have to purchase all three then I will. If they're offered separately, that's cool too. I don't care anymore, just get it done. It's time, Paramount!
Link Removed

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I think the box set he's planning with Spielberg is just repackaging of the original releases, perhaps with a bonus disc of filler thrown in to sucker people (ala the Jurassic Park Trilogy set.)
Well, I just had to pay a few bucks to get that new box and disc from Universal so I wasn't really "suckered" into buying it again and I'd do the same for Indy, and Paramount is so weak on special feaures and re-releases, I wouldn't think we would have anything to worry about.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

You don't HAVE to buy any of them. It's your choice.

I would rather them release them one at a time over the course of a year, it makes it more fun. Waiting for these things is half the fun. Really, once all of the holy Grails we've bee waiting for are out, what will we have to talk about on these boards?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
After thinking about it more, I suppose that Temple of Doom is the weaker of the three, but they were trying to get away from the Nazi's and all that for Temple and do something darker, which is cool with me. And Willie Scott is my least favorite of the Indy girls (Bring back Marion! Steven, I beg you! She was awesome!)

Anyway, Temple of Doom still had some of the best action sequences, The mine car chase, The opening sequences, the Rope Bridge scene.

Funny enough Mark, but Short Round never really bothered me.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
My question is why is there a need for all the releases at once? What's the big deal?
Need, need... but you will have 'em sooner. And a box may be cheaper.
And if you can't be sure a box will arrive - you will have to start buying the separate DVDs.

Cees

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Really, once all of the holy Grails we've bee waiting for are out, what will we have to talk about on these boards?
I'm sure we'll find something.:) There's always titles new to DVD, plus reissued old ones, and whatnot. Heck, you could get virtually all of the "holy grails" on LD, but we continued to yak about it until DVD killed it. Though there was a lot more room for growth with the reissues since many initial releases were bare-bones pan and scan packages. The studios could then entice us with widescreen versions, and then bring us back again for special editions. After that, the advent of 5.1 sound for the home meant yet ANOTHER dip.
DVD usually doesn't have the same room for growth, though obviously people DO seem willing to repurchase titles that meet all of these criteria. After all, it looks like many lust for a new Alien, even though the original offers anamorphic widescreen, 5.1 audio, and scads of extras. So even if all the grails hit the streets tomorrow, I wouldn't count the hobby dead just yet!:)

DanR

Supporting Actor
That's too bad because you've missed out on some fine dvds.
Please by all means list them for me; maybe I'm missing something. Paramount, as far as I know, has not released many films that interest me this year. When their DVD releases are subpar as compared to other studios, it makes me want to rent rather than buy the "marginal titles".

Thankfully, it look like the wait for good DVD versions of the Jack Ryan series will be over next year.

Regards,
Dan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

First off, it would be easier if you listed your viewing habits because I don't know how limited your film taste is across different genres and films from different eras.

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Off topic, but what the heck. FWIW, Some of the titles that Paramount has released this year include:
Sunset Blvd.
Roman Holiday
Houseboat
To Catch A Thief
Sorry, Wrong Number
Will Penny
Goin' South
Bad Company
The Duellists
Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Urban Cowboy
Serpico
Pretty In Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
The Gambler
Our Lady of the Assassins
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
Changing Lanes
Atlantic City
Seconds
Better Off Dead
Top Secret
Major League
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop
Fatal Attraction
We Were Soldiers
Star Trek II (Special Edition)
Star Trek III (Director's Edition)
Mean Machine
Most of those are pretty solid entertainment, and there are some bona fide classic titles on that list. Paramount happens to be one of my favorite studios because I never worry about the quality of the DVD. They rarely, if ever, disappoint me in terms of transfer quality.
To each their own, as always.
- Walter.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I would buy all three in a heartbeat anyway.
As for who should produce these shiny discs, my bet would be that Van Ling & Laurent Bouzeraut would be splitting the duties. So perhaps we will get three revolving menus like the Star Wars dvds or am i just dreaming
:D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
happens to be one of my favorite studios because I never worry about the quality of the DVD. They rarely, if ever, disappoint me in terms of transfer quality
I see you left Footloose off your list. Transfer quality sucked royally on that one! :frowning:
Back on topic, bring on all three of the Indy films! Make 'em available separately if you want, but bring 'em on as fast as possible. I'll buy 'em all! As for saving money in a box set, nah. Not with Paramount. I refer you to Naked Gun as an example.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Some of you are saying that if they come out all at once, they won't be given as good quality than if they are released all at once. Can't they just give it the best quality discs(some have used SW 1,2 as examples)all three at once and release them both in a box and seperatly.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I would prefer a box set as well if only it weren't at Paramount's inflated prices, don't get me wrong I think "The Mount" does great work as far as DVD is concerned but they also have the highest prices of any major studio.
One film at a time is fine by me and kinder to my pocket book.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Count me in for the boxset right away. I don't want to buy a box set with IJ4 later. (2004? So H. Ford will be how old?? Comical.)

Truthfully, I'd take all 3 bareboned in paper sleeves.

I also see Speilberg/Lucas as being more greedy then gracious inn their plans. It just rubs me wrong when someone would rather have a slow, meticulous release followed by a big boxset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks