What's new

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
I wonder if Lucas will finally convince Speilberg to record commentary tracks for the Indy DVDs? A Lucas/Speilberg/Ford commentary track would be awesome! One can hope...
I can hear it now
Lucas- well this was a very hard scene to shoot
Ford-it took a lot out of me let me tell you
Spielberg- would you two shut up you're messing up the movie :lol:
seriously I think it won't happen:frowning:

Seth_S

Second Unit
It sounds like Paramount is trying to maximize sales ala Godfather III. I'm guessing Spielberg and Lucas want to do separate releases so their schedules wont' get bogged down trying to put out special editions off all three films at once.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Indy and Star Wars DVDs are ones I don't mind buying more than once. I just want Raiders as soon as possible! The wait has been much too long.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
It is very irritating that Speilberg and Lucas want to release the 3 over time. However, since I'm really just interested in the first one, I don't really care.

By the way, I am really disappointed in "Taken" as a whole. It started out with some promise but Oh My God it turned into crap real soon. The finale was a joke.

And what's up with casting Heather Donohue??? She cannot act her way out of a paper bag. Sure she was great in Blair Witch, but that wasn't acting, they were really scared out in dem dar woods!!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
We're aiming for next fall. George Lucas and I are having an argument with Paramount. Paramount wants to come out with all three [Indiana Jones] movies in one package. George [writer and producer of "Raiders"] and I want to come out with one film at a time and then come out with all three movies, and maybe even the fourth one, in one package later. (Paramount says there is no argument and discussions are ongoing.)
I can understand why he wants to do this just from the statements on this thread. "I just want Raiders." and so on. And that's cool. I think that's why he wants them released seperately as well. So those that just want Raiders can have Raiders, and those that want all of them can have all of them.
I personally don't understand why everyone seems to hate Temple of Doom. I've always liked all three equally.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Last Crusade is the one I never cared for. I thought Temple of Doom had more of a "Raiders" feel to it.

I always thought Temple was the weekest(I loved the way the movie started though). I would love to see them in a box set but I'll get them any way I can. So bring it on.:)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also a fan of indiana jones. I like temple of doom the best.. last crusade is okay.. sean connery saves it from being very bad.

I must agree that paramount is not my favorite studio.. they lack great extras like fox or universal.. I really wished the other studios like fox had the rights to star trek, indiana jones and even planes trains, and automobiles..

I heard there is someone at paramount that doesn;t like extras on the disc.. not sure who that is.. hopefully that could change..

JACOB

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Patrick: Depending on where you shop, there's often a substantial difference between the list price and actual retail price. The MSRP on the Godfather set is (or at least, was) indeed $105.99, though I'd imagine very few people on the HTF paid that much. I snagged mine for $55.89 shipped.

David W

Auditioning
Similar to the way he requested that Universal include the original version of E.T. on the two disc set, I think Spielberg is trying to help fans here, not screw them. Individual releases over time would probably be more comprehensive (2 discs each) and fans wouldn't be required to buy the ones they don't want. I get the impression that the the box set Spielberg speaks of would simply be the identical individual releases re-packaged together once they have all been completed. His past actions indicate (to me at least) that he wants to do best for his fans.

Paramount on the other hand knows that a $50-60 box set constructed on cheap cardboard packaging would contribute more to their bottom line than individual keepcase releases where many people wouldn't purchase all 3 movies. Given the likely extra expense of more comprehensive individual releases (each release would likely be 2 discs for a total of 6 discs as opposed to 4 in a box set), along with the money they would forgo at the cash register for the many people that wouldn't buy all 3, and you can understand why Paramount is balking.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with David... unlike whatever planned definitive collection Lucas may have for Star Wars on the distant horizon, I think the box set he's planning with Spielberg is just repackaging of the original releases, perhaps with a bonus disc of filler thrown in to sucker people (ala the Jurassic Park Trilogy set.)

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Well for me, If they release them individually first then I'll buy Raiders & Crusade. If they release the boxset first I'll buy that. Crusade is way better than Temple in fact I would put it on a par with Raiders, they are identical stories after all.

DanR

Supporting Actor
After thinking about this one overnight, I'm pretty sure it's going to wind up being separate releases for each film. I'm now banking that we'll see a 2-disc set of Raiders next October/November. Temple of Doom will follow, and then The Last Crusade. Indy 4 is a lock for 2005, so it all fits.

I really hope Lucas and Spielberg hold their ground, otherwise we'll get a 4-disc set with crappy packaging and a $125 MSRP from Paramount. Number of Paramount DVDs purchased by me this year...1.

Regards,
Dan

David W

Auditioning
If the movies are released individually I would expect each movie to receive treatment similiar to what we have seen with Star Wars Episodes I and II.

If the movies come out as a one box set, I would expect treatment similar to the Godfather set.

For me, either choice is acceptable, but I am convinced that separate releases, spread over time so they are done right, would be much more comprehensive. I can also see why this option is not as attractive to Paramount in terms of maximizing sales at minimum cost.

StevenJ

Stunt Coordinator
Speilberg is an idiot. Either release all three at once or all four at once, enough with this release one copy at a time then after everyone has bought them release a boxed set so they have to spend more money.
I hate Speilberg :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks