What's new

Spiders - do they creep you out? (1 Viewer)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
How the hell do you kill em? I would be way too freaked out to kill one. Big hairy splatt.....ugh, don't want to think about it.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Now now...don't be putting solifugids like that in with spiders :)

Camel spiders are not spiders, nor are they scorpions like some of their other common names imply. They are in their own order Solifugid.

Here's one from the US:

(BTW, I think the 'spiders' are being held very close to the camera - the info I found says the body is 2" and the legspan is 5" )

Julie K

Screenwriter

On the other hand, the people who keep them as pets are probably jumping up and down with joy over the idea of easy imports ;)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
The picture is real... Some of the commentary that has accompanied it as it has made its way around the internet (they run 25 miles per hour, jump 10 feet in the air, and devoure your legs while you sleep after injecting you with an anesthetic to keep you from waking up) is all BULLSHIT...

Why dont you marry one then!!!:laugh:

In all seriousness, I think you missed the point... You can call them "Spiders" or "Sulifugids" or "Flying Freakin' Squirrels" for all I care... THEYRE STILL DAMNED CREEPY!

Julie K

Screenwriter

Yeah, but discussions of them are just thread crapping. Someone should start a thread "Solifugids - do they creep you out?"

(Yes, I'm joking both here and in my first post ;) )

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I find the crunchy sound some large bugs make when stepped on much worse.

I cannot stand anything with more than 4 legs.

--
H

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Im sorry... but when I see a spider with a 1/4 inch legspan creeping around my kitchen, I run to the living room, jump on the couch and scream like a little girl for my wife to "kill it!!!" (shes usually right next to me screaming "NOOOO!!!! YOU KILL IT!!!!")

I see a "solufigad" or whatever the hell you call that spidery looking THING with a FIVE INCH LEG SPAN, Im sprinting to the car, driving to the nearest Howard Johnson's, and on the way, Im calling Century 21 to sell the house...

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Sounds like a Pete Seeger song...

Good question... they disapeared... CREEPY BASTARDS!

[Edit] They're baaaaaaack...

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hmmm...I still don't see them. I'm probably the only person here not creeped out by them and I can't see the pretty spiders. I think I'll sulk a bit.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Years ago I knew a guy that was stationed in Iraq for a while said they had safety bulletins on these things.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

At least it explains WHY Hussein needed chemical weapons... If I had those things creeping around the yard, I'd stock pile poisons too...

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

Uh so what you're saying is your spine turns to gel when you see a spider, right? Just kidding.

One night while playing on my pc my wife said "SCOTT!!!! get in here NOW!!". Then I heard fear in her voice and I knew I wasn't in trouble but was being told to kill something. I kid you not it was a spider with (legs included) larger in diameter than a silver dollar. I made her leave the room and thought about how to kill it. If I missed, it might jump on me. Luckily it hit is square with a fly swapper and croaked it. I took it's carcass with and me and researched it's origin.

It was a harmless garden spider.

Harmless or not, it sure as hell didn't look harmless and it scared the shit out of my wife. In a sense, it had signed it's own death warrant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks