What's new

Spider-Man Live Action (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know when the '70's Saturday series of Spider-Man will make it to disc? I remember this version more than any other. Peter Parker was played by one of The Sound of Music's VonTrapp boys.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the pilot film to this series on VHS, when it came out I loved the show more than anything. I think time has been harder on this show than any other.
From what I can remember all he does is climb a few walls swing from a tree in his garden and from one building to another (the actor was hanging on for dear life!).
The guys name was Nicolas Hammond and had a cameo in the festival scene at Times Square in Spider-Man 2002.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Thank you!

I've been expecting this series since the first one came out and no word of it.

I know Rhino (who released the tapes) doesn't have it anymore as I asked a rep once.

Does anyone have an official word on this?

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I really love it and want this series on DVD!! I have all the Rhino tapes and I wish they'd do a box set!
Why do people always say that time has not been kind to certain shows? They are what they are, then and now.
I think that we are just jaded with all the cg crap in tv and movies today. I'll take fun over polished effects any day.:)
Nicolas Hammond just played a doctor in the 2004 TNT tv movie remake of Salem's Lot. Don't ask me why I was watching a horror movie.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Where is Nicholas Hammond in Times Square? I never saw it.

I remember watching this a long time ago, and I think they recently (haha 1993 is not recent) aired it on tv.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I remember this - I really enjoyed it.
I also remember seeing a theatrical SPiderman movie as a kid that I think may have been from this series also.

I wouldn't buy it (I would really be surprised if it still stands up today), but I remember liking it.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator

Because what was classed as good effects then has now been surpassed many, many times. In a way you could say we've been spoilt by better FX.

I don't think a show is the same then and now, take The A-Team for example when it used to be on TV I loved it and thought it was cool the way they shot guns from the hip, but after watching later shows like Alias or 24 and they hold guns correctly, most of the time it stands out like a sore thumb to me. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the old shows, I just notice the faults in them a lot more often.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
tvtome.com only lists 14 episodes, is that really true? I was only six when it premiered, but this show was one of the highlights of TV in my youth.

Funny how perception of time is different when you're a kid. I was blown away when I got older and realized that Battlestar Galactica only ran for one season. It had made such an impact on me that in my mind it had ran for several years.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, there weren't many episodes, that's true.

Basically, the series never had a regular time slot. CBS ran it as a series of specials over a two year period, which is why it seems more shows were produced than actually were.

CBS/FOX and Prism released these on VHS back in the day, and then Rhino re-issued some of them. Though the series wasn't very good, it would seem a DVD release would be a money maker anyway.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The Rhino VHS releases were actually the strung together episodes which aired in syndication. I would hope any DVD release would just restore the episodes to their original state.

I'd especially love a DVD of the two part "Deadly Dust" episode which has Joanna Cameron ("Isis") guesting.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Me too Tory, I have all of them on vhs and would really love to have them on dvd! I watch them a lot.
Too bad Cap and Doc Strange never got their own series.
I thought those three tv movies were great too!
(captain America 1 & 2 and Doctor Strange.)
Gotta love Cap's Motorcycle and the Doc would appeal to buffy fans and goths if they were ever rereleased on dvd. :emoji_thumbsup:
I lend toward Spidey and Cap myself. :D

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yeah, I also remember you very often could see the wall through Spidey when he climbed a building. :)
That being said, I'm surprised this hasn't been released yet to cash in on the success of the movie(s). I for one would definitely buy it.

Chris

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I grew watching lost in space, star trek, ray harryhausen movies, krofft and filmation shows so I don't actually care about effects all that much, as long as it's a fun show. If I want to see reality I'll step out my front door. lol!
This would be a automatic purchase for me! :D

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
Would be a must buy for me too .... I was putting in one of the discs from the '67 animated series the other day, and my wife was disappointed because she thought it was the live action series (the one where he used the "rope" ... her term .... :) )

Bryan

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I agree.....as long as it's fun! I was watching Wonder Woman the other day and just now realized that when she lassos someone it's not the "golden" lasso, but a huge piece of dull brown rope! LOL ...then when she puts it back on her belt it is small and shiny....but it is still a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks