What's new

Spider-Man -films (Blu-ray) on 10-30-07 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay so I've encountered my first annoyance with Blu-ray, and it's on the Spider-man discs.

I use a PS3 + BD remote. I don't like the layout of the Pause, play, stop, FF/REW buttons on the bottom of the remote. It is unintuitive. Where pause should be, stop is instead. Hence I often when I want to pause, hit stop.

No biggie. For every other BD title I own (about 50), I can use the "wheel" part of the PS3 BD remote up top. Clicking the middle button plays and pauses, clicking to the left/right either FF/REW if in play mode, or frame forwards/back in pause mode. Great workaround.

The Spider-man BDs, for whatever reason, disable that part of the remote. Sure, I can still do the above actions, but I must use their dedicated, non-intuitively laid out, buttons, not the wheel. Further, after some investigating, I see some "options" also grayed out of the PS3 BD playback menu, things like A-B repeat. So my guess is that somehow the Spidey BDs have locked out some controls. When I FF/REW, a new, Spidey-dedicated navigation bar showing how far you are in the movie shows up at the bottom of the screen. Annoying.

Someone got too crazy with the interactive features on this release when it gets in the way of basic functionality. :frowning:

Otherwise, quite a good looking set of transfers, from what I've sampled.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also got the trilogy set. I must say that I was very impressed with both spidey 1 and 2. more so then others have stated.. they certainly look better then the dvd versions.. so much new detail.. its like watching the movie new again.

Jacob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i guess since i and some others were able to get the set for $55, it wasnt so bad after all/

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Seems like the number 3 was the death mull for alot of series this year. From the mediocre Shrek the Third, the absolutely dismal POC 3, and the equally bad Spiderman 3. At least the price is not over the top for Spidey 1 and 2. Can't wait to view those two releases.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I like spidey 3 the best. I think spidey 3 got a bad rap.. there was alot of thread s to deal with.. I found it to be a better second sequel then say x-men 3 and blade 3. they both sucked.

Jacob

troy evans

Screenwriter
I find that movies don't impress me as much in the theater as they do at home. I love going to movies to support what I like to ensure future installments. I love the first Spider-Man film and in the trilogy it's my favorite. The second movie didn't impress me as much as the first. The third is better than Spidey 2, but, not as good as the first. The drama of "2" seems to slow it down way too much. With the first one the drama builds to developing the characters, I didn't need this as much with the other two films, but, it's there anyway. In the third film, shit like that ego driven dance routine could have been cut. The whole MJ not being good enough to hold her stage job and the, can't you just stop being Spider-man long enough to care about me, crap. Oh, boo-hoo....really who gave a rat's ass about that shit? The conflict with Harry and thier friendship was great and all the drama we really needed. Sandman was good even though He was over shadowed by Venom. Venom should have been dealt with in his own film not shared between two other villians all clamouring for screen time. All in all, Spidey 3 is fun and that's all I needed from it. As far as quality of the transfers I agree with previouse posts. First film looks great, but, not as good as 2 and 3. I wonder why the first one is in 1.85 ratio and the sequels are 2.40 ratio? Since Raimi did all three films this confuses me a bit. Is there any technical reason why a 1.85 transfer would look any different PQ wise than a 2.40 transfer? More than likely not. Still, I wonder why the ratio switch between films?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to the set.

My $.02

Spider-man 2 I'd rank up there as one of the top superhero films of all time (along with X-2, Batman Begins and Superman).

I enjoyed Spider-man even though I think it's flawed a bit, great origin but they screwed up the Green Goblin by turning him into a friggin power ranger.

Haven't seen SM3 but I do wish they stuck with the classic villains (sorry I'm an old fart). Swap Venom with The Lizard and I'd be much more excited. :D

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I understand Venom was put there at the behest of Avi Arad. Otherwise, he was not planned to be in there. Avi basically should have stayed out of it.

I too like Spider-Man 3. I thought the climatic battle was great as well as the ending. Sure there were a few contrived scenes there but all in all, a fun ride.

Let's hope the Lizard is in the next one.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has the package for $60 this week. That's cheaper than Amazon.

I was very impressed.

My rankings(video):
Spiderman 1: 4
Spiderman 2: 4.5
Spiderman 3: 5

The audio is first rate on all 3 releases.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My rankings tend to mirror yours, Shane (Sony PS3 -> semi-calibrated Sony SXRD KDS-60A3000).

And I second the audio quality. I don't even have TrueHD capable sound, so I'm only getting DD 640kbps, and I can definitely tell an improvement over the DVD soundtracks [though what part of that is due to bit rate improvement vs. different mix I can't say for sure].

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
So I was in Target today and noticed that they have the blu-ray trilogy for sale in a single case instead of the three case set everyone else has. I love to slim down space as much as possible. Does anyone know of a way to contact Sony to get the single-case to replace the three cases that I currently own?

mike.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Bump.

Me too. I didn't have problems with it, but then again I'm not much of a critic anyway.

Anyhow, picked this set up yesterday. Haven't watched it but sampled a couple of scenes from each film and they look fantastic. SM1 does look a bit different than the others, but no complaints.

I haven't watched any extras from Spider-Man 1 or 2 since the DVDs were originally released. One viewing of the extras for each film and I never thought of putting them on again.

Still, I'll keep the bonus discs in case I ever change my mind, and give the features themselves to my grandmother who can lend them to her family/friends.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just bought the trilogy set and right there on
the back it says that there are cast commentaries!
I go to find them on Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2,
and I cannot find them.

They are advertised on the box!

Come to find out, only Spiderman 3 has commentary tracks!

I feel ripped off!

I was looking forward to getting rid of the DVDs, feeling
if the commentaries were ported over, then that is what
I really care about, as that is the only special feature I tend
to go back to over and over.

Okay, so I purchased the trilogy at the bargain price of $37.99
at Fry's on Black Friday, but considering I thought I was replacing
the DVDs, as I had done with Pirates of the Carribean, I am feeling
short-changed.

This is the last time I upgrade from SE DVDs to Blu-Ray without reading this forum
and the digital bits first!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm looking at my set right now and there is nothing anywhere
indicating a commentary on 1 & 2.

right on the outer cover box on the bottom is a list of
features.
Only the third movie has a listing indicating any extra features.
I really feel you should take a step back and rethink this if you think you were ripped off after paying only $38 for this set.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Considering I got Spider-Man 3 free with my PS3 and I've watched it as much as I can possibly stand to (twice), I'm patiently waiting for individual releases of the much superior first two. Anybody know of any plans to bring them out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks