What's new

Spider-Man Deluxe Edition & Spider-Man Superbit (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Nice, my friend notified me FutureShop has it on estimated release tomorrow for them...

I hope the DTS track will feature more use of the rears... that was the one thing i didnt like bout the current DD track on the DVD out now.

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew, how about the featurettes from the 3rd disc? Are they any good? What this movie REALLY needs though is a documentary about the legal mumbo-jumbo the movie went through for about 20 years and interviews with the likes of James Cameron and that producer who battled for the rights for soo long (probabily the biggest responsible for Cameron's departure).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Is the 3 disk a superbit deluxe? Does it have dts, and is the first disk the movie only?

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone tell me if the movie coupon has any pass restrictions? i.e., Can I use it on opening day (June 30th) even though the theatre might have Pass Restrictions. I know there exists some coupons that are "Good even if the theatre has pass restrictions". What exactly does it say on the ticket? Also is there a movie pass coupon on the 3 disc SE and is it the same as the superbit coupon?
Thanks.:frowning:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
So, now Colin has posted his review of the Superbit, and it is pretty much the exact opposite of Andrew's comments above. Improved video (different transfer) but no significant audio benefit from DTS. (By the way Colin, the date on your review says 2003, should be 2004.)

It still irritates me that CTS can't just get it right the first time. I wouldn't mind so much if the first version was out in 1997, but there's no excuse for not doing a top-notch transfer right away these days.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I've read a few different reviews and none of them seem to be in agreement. Some say the picture is better while the audio is the same and others say there's no improvement in the picture, but the DTS track is much more dynamic than the DD. So, I'm on the fence with this one. If I knew that there was a noticeable improvement in both picture and sound I'd definitely pick it up, but I'm not sure what to believe after all the conflicting reviews. Anyone else here had a chance to compare the regular and SB?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I've made up my mind and decided to wait for the eventual "Ultimate" or whatever edition.

There's bound to be an edition with all the commentaries, all the extras and the (maybe) improved picture quality.

It will probably not have dts but I don't care about that anyway.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got the DTS vesion.. I didn't notice much difference in the picture, but the DTS rocks.

JACOB

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
As many times as I've seen the movie, and with so much else to watch, realistically I'm not likely to watch it much anytime soon.

Given the somewhat marginal improvements, I think the wisest (and most economical) choice for me is probably to wait for Blu-ray (presumably) or HD-DVD on this one, when I *know* there will be a substantial improvement.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Jacob,

How much of an improvement is the DTS over the DD and was there any noticeable difference in the picture quality?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just wanted to clarify that I did not mean to discount anyone else's experience with this disc. My comments were based on my experience with my equipment. I have a Toshiba 57H83 (less than a year old) that was calibrated by Eliab de la Campa of Avical, who is considered to be one of the best over at Home Theater Spot. On my monitor (at a viewing distance of about 9') I did not see a significant difference in the picture quality of the SB compared to the original release. Again I only checked out certain scenes on each disc-I unfortunately didn't have time to watch both versions back to back in their entirety. I'm in an apartment so I don't have a huge surround system (I have the Onkyo receiver and speaker package Circuit City was selling for about $500 a couple years ago), but again I found the DTS noticeably more active in the rear channels.

Again I apologize if anyone feels misled by my experience with the disc.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Andrew, you don't have to apologize for anything. Your observations are honest appraisals based on your experience and your setup. Others experiences and perceptions may (and do) vary, sometimes by 180°. I was just pointing out that fact. We value your contribution.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
They really screwed the pooch with this release.

Here is what they should have done...

One, 3 disc set

Disc 1 Superbit Transfer with DTS (if you want commentary, get the old disc for $10)

Disc 2 and 3 (All extras from disc 1,2 and 3 spread on 2, there is plenty of space for this)

As it is, the Superbit isn't really worth it because it uses the same transfer and the DTS is the same exact audio track source so any difference would be subtle.

Oh how I wish we could go back to the days when DTS could "cook" the mix to make theirs sound better.

D

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the tobey commentary is good.. he is joined by jk simmons. they have alot to talk about. they worked together in another movie before.

I notice the rear speakers much more in the DTS version. specially when peter is using his web when he is checking out his powers the first time.. on the rooftop. (hopefully) you all have seen the movie now.

about the picture. I notice that the flesh color of the characters are much better. its not as red as the first version, that you could notice in the first version of spidey.

JACOB

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
can someone tell me if the movie coupon is good for opening day and at what theaters is it good for?

Shaun

Second Unit
If you ask me, the only release Columbia/TriStar has gotten right is the 2 disc Mask of Zorro: Special Edition. That had all the features, DTS, etc. After that, they started milking everyone by making 3 or more versions of their movies (Standard, Special Edition, Superbit, Deluxe Superbit, etc.) in order to get everything for one friggin' movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks