1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man Coming to DVD on November 1, 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheBat, Jul 14, 2002.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    www.superherohype.com
    The announcement we've all been waiting for! According to Variety, Spider-Man will hit DVD & Video on November 1st - that's a Friday! Here's clips from the article...
    "Spider-Man" will swing into videostores Nov. 1 with lofty expectations from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, which is mounting the studio's biggest marketing campaign, valued at more than $100 million.
    Executives are certain that the $400 million superhero film will surpass "Men in Black" to become the bestselling DVD by any studio to date. But they want to fly even higher, setting their sights on surpassing the home rental biz's all-time top seller, "The Lion King."
    That would mean selling nearly twice as many copies of Spidey as "Men in Black," which is estimated to have sold 15 million-16 million.
    Company is giving "Spider-Man" an optimum and rare Friday release date that will capitalize on Halloween night retail events and four full weekends of sales leading into the Thanksgiving holiday.
    The video division is continuing corporate marketing partnerships that "Spider-Man" had during its theatrical releases with Cingular, Dr. Pepper and Carl's Jr./Hardees. Combined with other partners to be announced, the marketing campaign will involve $45 million in media buys and overall promotions that create 8 billion impressions and increase the value to more than $100 million.
    The studio's introductory DVD version of "Spider-Man" will be a two-disc set chockfull of extras, including Tobey Maguire's costume, makeup and screen tests that reportedly were the turning point in convincing director Sam Raimi that the thesp could pull off the physicality of the role.
    Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment manager of worldwide DVD content Javier Soto said the "Spider-Man" DVD also will provide an extensive history of Marvel's superhero character. In addition to interviews with Marvel's Stan Lee and many of the artists who worked on "Spider-Man" comics, company was granted access to the Marvel archives in order to present galleries of drawings and collections of Spider-Man's loves and enemies in the comics.

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

This is gonna be a very expensive November. [​IMG]

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    no doubt.. with both lord of the rings and episode 2 also coming out in November.. It will cost alot.

JACOB

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Screenwriter

And November 1st is my birthday, how nice. [​IMG]

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Screenwriter

Followed closely (or not too closely) by a movie only editon and then a 2 disc SE version with DTS, then a SuperBit Deluxe version...

ARGHH!!! How I hate the marketing dunderheads at Sony!!

Just make the fucking thing a SuperBit Deluxe version to begin with!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    its a 2 disc special edition on the first release.

JACOB

7. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Screenwriter

It will not be Superbit deluxe upon release, mark my words!

Otherwise there would be no pan and scam version. Unless the WS version is Superbit and the "fullscreen"(funny expression as to why they dont fill my 16:9 screen)version called it Supershit.

Sorry, cheap shot.

9. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I'll take this one with a grain of salt until I see the announcment from Columbia Tristar.

10. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Screenwriter

I can't recall the last time a home video got a Friday release, but their reasoning seems sound. Either way, I'll be getting a copy.

Bruce

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

12. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  13. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

While it looks exciting, I really don't like the phrase "introductory dvd version." Call me picky, but doesn't this sound like the American Pie/Jurassic Park fiasco? I really don't want to choose between 7 versions of the film.

14. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That's typical video industry talk just meaning the first release. Videosget re-released and go OOP all the time, it's just that most people weren't aware of it until very recently. People bitch and bitch about double-dipping like it's something new.

I'm positive you can expect a SuperBit release somewhere down the line, but doubt there will be anything beyond that in the near future. I would not be suprised if the initial disc has DTS, since Sam Raimi appears to be a fan

16. Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like great news, Ill be scraping together the pennies for this sucker!

17. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Screenwriter

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

19. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Exit Wounds was a Friday release, if I remember correctly.

20. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit