What's new

Spider-man 3 - On Going Developments (1 Viewer)

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Wasn't The Sinister Six group of supervillains from the comic-book were meant to be Spidey's deadly foe?

The original lineup of the Sinister Six consisted of:

Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)
Electro (Maxwell Dillon)
Kraven the Hunter
Mysterio (Quentin Beck)
The Sandman
The Vulture (Adrian Toomes)

We've had Doc Ock, so will Raimi suit up his next foe from this group?

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I like a lot of your ideas there. But I think that might be too much for one film. The 3rd film should probably end after the big battle.

The 4th film could then begin with flashes of Spiderman losing control to the symbiote, getting rid of it with Connor's help, and the rise of Venom.

I could also see if they completely ignored the "black suit" saga for the 3rd film and incorporated that somehow into the 4th-5th films (if they do them).

One of the main problems of ending Spiderman 3 with him using the symbiote is that the black suit might confuse a lot of more "casual" Spiderman fans. I would bet that a lot of people out there aren't even aware of this whole part of Spiderman history...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Electro = silly costume and unexciting powers

Kraven the Hunter = silly costume and uses guns

Mysterio = bubble head and hypnotic powers

The Vulture = silly skinny old coot with bird wings

SANDMAN = We have a winner! How cool would this guy be?? Yeah!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
In keeping with Raimi's use of father figures for Peter, I'd think he'll lean toward Curt Connors/The Lizard (a father figure to Peter) or Hobgoblin (the culmination of all things fatherly to Peter and Harry).

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Point taken. I too think the 3rd film should end after the 3rd battle, although a lot like the 2nd did, with the battle, and a scene or two afterwards to wrap things up. I'd have no problem (and now that I think about it, I think I'd like it better) if, rather than Pete having the symbiote for the final battle in the third movie, just have him, Gobby, and the Lizard duke it out. Spidey then takes an unconscious Lizard to Connor's lab (where the black goo that they hadn't had time to check out yet is stored) and works out a way to cure him. Have the Lizard gain consciousness briefly, a small skirmish ensues, some of the black goo gets on Pete's costume, and then the scene with Pete in bed. Heck, they could even forget about the fight in the lab and just have Connors knock over whatever was containing the symbiote during his transformation back from being the Lizard.

I just think they need to intro the symbiote, even in some small way, before Venom is anywhere near being in the picture. And, although the first two movies haven't been cliffhangers in the strictest sense, they did leave me wondering what was going to happen next. I think a final scene with Pete in the black costume, not knowing how or why he got where he was, would make a great ending for the film.

Then start the 4th film with Pete trying to find out what this thing that's bonded itself to him is, getting rid of it, etc.

I think it's a shame that Raimi has expressed little interest in the Venom character. Even though he's not my personal favorite, I think a character like Venom is right up Raimi's alley.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I would love a movie with the symbiote, but I would be surprised if it ever enters the franchise. Please, Sam Raimi prove me wrong!

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
As long as they do a good job of creating Venom in Spidey 3, I could care less if there are more than 3. The last thing I want to see is another Green Goblin character. Man, that had to be the screen's most boring villain ever. Thank God the Doc-Ock character (mostly the visual effects of how they did his tentacles) came along to get me interested in Spiderman 2.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Either would make an excellent choice in the third installment.

As much as I enjoyed Venom and Carnage as nemeses, I think the histories of each member in the Sinister Six are far richer and deeper than either symbiote could ever offer, and should translate better on celluloid. Cletus Kasady's (aka Carnage) occupation as a professional criminal and serial killer could pose a challenge to the script writers content-wise, if a PG/PG-13 rating is to be preserved. Eddie Brock (aka Venom), as a character/villain, does have potential, but only if a decent backstory is provided regarding the symbiote/alien costume's origin.

Personally, I would like to see the Lizard, Kraven the Hunter, Sandman or Scorpion (in updated costumes) for #3.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
You WOULD think Raimi would like Venom, or at least the sybiote suit. He'd get to do some of that Good Ash/Evil Ash stuff again.

I think he and his cast will be pooped out after 3 though, and I'm hoping that will be a blessing in the long run.

Maybe Alex Proyas would be game for the symbiote story. His work on Dark City and The Crow was extraordinary and I could see him truly doing justice to Spidey vs the Symbiotes (working title:)).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think its way to early to start thinking of Symbiotes.

If they must have Venom and/or Carnage I pray they save them for the last film.Petes final confrontation, he hits rock bottom and looses MJ, Aunt May,everyone he cares about,then it makes sense to face Venom, who comes from him.Ill make a bet now we never see Carnage in a film. Venom, yes eventually, Carnage no.

Maybe Spidey can change to a black suit becuase MJ or Aunt May die:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think Venom and Carnage are lame and I'm glad that Raimi agrees. It's one thing to scrape the bottom of the barrel with villains that are evil versions of the hero when you're writing an ongoing monthly comic. It's another to do it when you're on the third movie dealing with a hero that has a rogues gallery second only to Batman in comic history (symbiotes excluded, of course).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"a rogues gallery second only to Batman"

A agree - Ive never seen the appeal of Venom and gave up on Marvel way before the Carnage stuff.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of Venom or Carnage at all. I hope that Harry takes over his father's identity, but with a better costume. Throw the Lizard in the mix as well.

Or Raimi could go with the Looter or the Rocket Racer.;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Heres a new quote from Raimi.....

"For now though he's got a 50-page treatment of the third "Spider-Man" installment, and says, "I don't want to assume that they would hire me to direct the fourth or fifth one. I would love to direct them if they ask me...I have as much of a passion for the character as I have right now, you'd have to -- you'd have to fight me off with a stick not to direct it."

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Stick the the old Ditko and Romita mythologies and characters. If they jump ahead to Venom, I won't even watch the movie, ever.

And yes, I know that makes me sound like some kind of spiteful fanboy. But I don't care for most of the newer villians. If they hold no interest for me, I won't go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks