What's new

Spider-Man 2, which version??!! (1 Viewer)

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Same here, Jon....I would like to see the stuff they did about the Doc Ock from comics-to-big-screen stuff on the Special Edition 2 disc, but I really want that DTS track...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
super bit for me.

But of course why couldn't columbia do like some other studios and make their 2-disc SE basically the super-bit disc with the 2nd disc containing all the bonus material in the same package?

grrr.

Lev-S

Second Unit
I still can't believe that somebody would buy this movie in "Pan and Scan"! It's a 2.40:1 ratio so that's almost half of the movie! Whatever, it's his loss...

Superbit for me!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Superbit all the way. I'm very grateful that CTS is giving us the choice this time by having the 2 disc, gift set, and superbit all released on the same day rather than releasing the superbit a few months down the road. Bravo CTS and continue this practice.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'll be picking up both the SB and the SE, but i will be opening the SE first.
i will also be flashing back 10 or 11 years to when i dropped $120 on the Terminator 2 box set on LD.
$32 for S-M2 (for both packages) doesn't seem all that bad in comparision.
that's really only $2 over the msrp of one disc.

'sides, it sounds like Charlie put enough care and craft into this, that $15 isn't that much for just a good 'making of' disc, with the bonus feature being an extra version of the film with a few commentary tracks.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I'm getting the 2 disc SE, that will be good enough for me. Unless the DTS track is supremely better than the DD track I don't see the point. Some DD tracks have been knocking my socks off lately so I don't really care if it's DTS or DD as long as it sounds good on my system. And from all accounts it seems like that's the case with the SE, so that's the one I'll be getting. Colombia needs to cut out this single disc Superbit crap and either do 2 disc Superbit Deluxes for all releases or just dump the stupid Superbit label and make outstanding 2 disc packages like damn near every other studio.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Pat, you'll get no sympathy from this board though. I guess we are so pro-widescreen that even thinking about pan and scan (you mistakenly called it full frame) makes us angry. the fact that you are educated to know the difference makes it even worse. I would liken it to a smoker who knows he is killing himself by the very practice but says he prefers to control his own destiny by killing himself with smoking.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Unless the DTS track is supremely better than the DD track I don't see the point."

After hearing the difference between the DTS AND DD on X-Men2, Gladiator and others Im always gonna pick the DTS track.

Hopefully my brother will pick up the 2disc SE and I can watch his.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

I just saw a commercial for Spider-Man 2 on DVD and at the end after showing preview scenes it showed the case for the "full screen special edition." It made me nauseous.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I was going to reply to this thread with a "buying the superbit", but after checking Sonys website & the seeing the list of special features I am leaning towards the 2-disc.
The commentary alone is a huge plus for me. I've only recently discovered commentaries & do enjoy them (most of them....but that's another subject all together :D)

Lucky for me I haven't seen this movie yet. Another great "I'll wait for the DVD" movie release.

And to fuel the fire. If Pat wants to buy it that way I will not be offended. Hopefully his purchase will be in the minority.
He is fairly a new member, maybe new to HT..? He just needs to be shown the light.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
just commenting on the prefrence for 4:3 on small screens, Could you not just but the widcreen version then have your dvd player set to 16/9 and force the picture on the screen with the sides cut off. I did this with my 27 incher before FP somethimes when people would complain that the they couldn't see the 7" picture on my puny TV.

Lev-S

Second Unit

What's so funny? My evident surprise and apathy from a HTF member preferring "pan and scan", or your total lack of respect for cinema? ;)

Rocky F

Second Unit
I certainly am pro-OAR all the time, but I did read an interview with Raimi (not sure where so I can't link to it, but I think it was in the same interview that he talked about 2.5) where he said that he personally supervised the 4:3 transfer. While that don't make it right, it at least means that people who must buy pan and scan at least still get a director approved version.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Why not buy the Superbit and the fullscreen 2-discer? Then you'd get both versions of the movie (including the best possible presentation of the widescreen) plus all the extras.

I don't know about anyone else, but changing aspect ratios in the middle of a series kinda bugs me. I mean, it looked great in scope, but it was almost as if they were trying to scream "hey, it's the SEQUEL now, everything is BIGGER and BETTER!" It just feels more unified to have the same AR all the way through.

Lev-S

Second Unit
I thought it was rather refreshing to see Raimi shoot scope again. (This is his 2nd film after "For the Love of the Game"). I think it's a great example of him expanding his artistic horizons both metaphorically and horizontally, although I can certainly understand the "hey it's a sequel so everything is bigger" complaint. Think of it as providing variety. That said, "Spiderman 3" will technically have to be shot in Full Frame 1.33:1 to accomodate this pattern. Err-- nevermind. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks