What's new

Spider-Man 2, which version??!! (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm going with the Superbit and will probably grab a used copy of the SE if I feel the need to watch extras and no better version has been announced in a couple of months. :)

Regards,

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I also have a 27", but it irritates me to watch butchered movies on it.

Even with the 27", better transfers are noticed, so the SuperBit vs. SE is a dilema for me as well. I am leaning towards the SE since I have heard that the supplments are REALLY good and this and the first one will eventually be purcahses on whatever HD format is left standing.

It is too bad that columbia is trying to manipulate consumers to buy the same title twice on the same day. As has been noted in the other thread, other studios are able to deliver SuperBit calibar transfers with commentaries and DTS, and some supplements on that first disc. They could have also included the second disc with the SuperBit as well (SuperBit Deluxe). Spiderman 2 is a must buy, but this marketing is going to put other Columbia titles on the no-buy list.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Nope, they were being stretched/distorted to fit the screen. This is not "fine", it is actually worse than viewing pan & scan because not only is the picture cropped from the original, it is also stretched, further distorting how it was meant to be seen. Any deviation from OAR is considered taboo here and if you really want to experience home theater as it should be, 99% of the people on this forum would suggest getting used to widescreen (OAR) DVD's. Besides, are you going to replace all your DVD's when you get a widescreen tv or stretch them so you get a cropped picture that is distorted?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

Huh?
If that is in fact true, Sony needs to fire their non Superbit mastering team. Any difference should be subtle (horizontal resolution, etc.)
I still can't believe they are still throwing around that name. They should just call it "DTS" version.
Harry Potter POA has a very high video bit rate, should Warner's start calling that Superbit?

Something tells me when the regular user reviews are out, there will be no difference in pic quality and high marks for the DTS soundtrack.

D

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"Nope, they were being stretched/distorted to fit the screen. This is not "fine", it is actually worse than viewing pan & scan because not only is the picture cropped from the original, it is also stretched, further distorting how it was meant to be seen. Any deviation from OAR is considered taboo here and if you really want to experience home theater as it should be, 99% of the people on this forum would suggest getting used to widescreen (OAR) DVD's. Besides, are you going to replace all your DVD's when you get a widescreen tv or stretch them so you get a cropped picture that is distorted?"

Well, I am sure it wasn't technically and scientifically "fine," what I meant was, it filled the screen without any black areas to the left or right of the screen (as I was told would happen with watching fullscreen DVDs on a widescreen set)...it may have been distorted technically, but I did not notice any blurring, stretching or distortion, and the film played back just fine for my liking, and thats all I usually judge the experience by. So it seemed "possible" to play back fullscreen discs on a widescreen set; this may be considered taboo here, but Im not disputing the OAR argument or fact; I said in an earlier post that I do recognize, respect and accept that OAR provides the director's entire scope of vision and intention for the enjoyment of the film...I am not condoning the preference of fullscreen, all I am saying is, on MY set, on this 27" Sony I have now, the elimination of the black areas by watching fullscreen DVDs, is A LOT less distracting and tiresome than watching widescreen discs. It just is...to my eyes and all the guests I have over for home theater nights....I KNOW widescreen is proper OAR, and I am not arguing that...I am well beyond the average Target and Wal Mart DVD shopper standing in line, not even knowing what OAR means, or staring blankly at someone who would attempt to explain that to me. It just seems more enjoyable right now to watch material in 1:33:1; it seems easier on my eyes than watching 2:35:1 material on this set.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
That's okay, Marvin....you are entitled to your opinion and whatever comments you wish to make; you called them hacked-up films; I say it just seems easier on my eyes...if I dont receive support, as you say I will not, then that's okay too...I dont really know what support you are talking about, because I already stated that I am admitting to accepting the correct OAR is widescreen, so I do not wish to receive "support" for my personal views on fullscreen; the stress of focusing in on a 2:35:1 image seems too much at times, and I simply just enjoy the fullscreen image better, even at the sake of losing director vision; you can watch all the widescreen discs on your 27" that you like; thats okay. It is still easier on my vision to watch them the other way --- of course, most of the time, there is no choice because most everything is coming in the version of preference, which is OAR/widescreen, but when there is a choice, it seems a bit less straining on my eyes to watch in 1:33:1 is all.

takeshi_gt

Auditioning
I watched the Superbit version last night and the transfer is outstanding. I wouldn’t say the whole disk is reference, since there was a problem with about %7 of the picture (some minor softness, and what I perceived as edge enhancement; that could be the way it was filmed). But the rest of the 93% was awesome. Good details and saturation and no artifacts (I couldn't find any)!!! And the DTS was better than the DD.

I haven’t seen the 2 disk set for Spiderman 2, but for sure this DVD rips the hell out of my 2 disk Spiderman 1 DVD. If ya got a big screen and you want the best… you get the Superbit version. There’s no going back.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Was the DTS track REALLY better than the Dolby track? If so, this would be the selling point for me...if the mix was more aggressive on the Superbit version, I would go with it over the two disc.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
True, Matt, true....although I doubt Sony would find many buyers aside from me...but yeah, a full frame Superbit would be a good comprimise for me, temporarily at least, until I upgrade to a widescreen set...

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Hey give Pat a break!!

If it is easier to enjoy fullscreen movies on his television set, so be it. He is not debating the fact that widescreen is the intended image. All he is saying is that FOR HIM it is EASIER to watch the fullscreen image. What is the big deal about that. My dad has a 32 inch Sony Trinitron and likes the fullscreen better. Who cares, as long as the person watching the movie is enjoying it.

Cheers!

It would be one thing if you were trying to educate, but he is educated so leave him be.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very, very much Scott....that's all I was trying to say. I mean no disrespect to those who swear by widescreen; I understand the merits of such a presentation. Thank you again.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I'm not going to get on Pat about his fullscreen preference, but he has sort of hijacked the thread.

This is HTF. Most people here don't even consider MAR to be a release of the film, not to mention one that would be a candiadate for purchase when there a different releases.

Is it too much to ask that the discussion get back to the SuperBit vs. 2-disc WIDESCREEN Edition (and maybe vs. the Gift Set)? I feel I can safely assume that this is the dilema that many of us are facing and what this thread was meant to address.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
For me tomorrow it will be Spiderman 2 Superbit. I'll also pick up the SB for Spiderman also.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely agreed, Aaron....I by no means meant to "hijack" the thread...apologies all around; this was un-intentional.

I am still debating Superbit of Spidey 2 IF the DTS track is superior to the Dolby variant.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Because it is passive endorsement of the non-OAR version of a film, which is completely against the mission statement of this forum. It would be the same as going on a Chevy forum and saying "I understand why you guys prefer Chevrolets and I admit the reasons are good, but I buy and own Fords because 'for ME' they are better. Please don't flame me, I admit your reasons for liking Chevy are legitmate, I just like Fords so much better. I like their styling better, I think they come in better colors and they are just all around better for me and I don't mind saying so on this Chevy website."

He is even trying to give the information that the fullscreen versions on a widescreen tv are "fine" and "I did not notice any blurring, stretching or distortion". He may not have noticed it, but it was obviously there. Given this, it appears the only thing he cares about is filling the screen, because to not notice that a 4:3 image is stretched to fill a 16:9 screen seems like he was not looking very closely at anything but the fact the black bars are gone.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Thank you for this, I must admit that the direction this thread went in is not what I expected when I first clicked on it.

That having been said I'm going to get the 2 disc SE tomorrow. Widescreen of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks