What's new

Spider-Man 2.5 (yes, it's already planned!) (merged) (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
On one hand I agree with you, but the purist in me, the REAL film fan, the kid who used to go sit in the theater for hours at a time on the weekends doesn't want to know how they made Superman fly, I want to believe that he just did. That same part of me wants to believe a battle occured at Helms Deep and that millions of participants were there slaughtering each other. Knowing how its done does spoil the magic, he's got a point. It's just not what you want to hear. ;)

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
Honestely, for the most part, even after I know how it was done, I still look in awe at the screen in that kind of situations. In fact, sometimes I enjoy the scenes even more after I know about the effort and dedication the SFX technians put on it, and the ingenious techiniques they used to get over a trickier situation. I also don't care about bad CGI for the most part. Watching Burly Brawl for example, I don't care that the Smiths look like rubber dummies, I just look at the fight and enjoy watching them crash against a building or something.

Great, I've become a cynic :frowning: "Blue screen? Mommy why would Superman need a blue blackground? Mirrors? Oh no!!!" :eek: :frowning:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I will wait for the Superbit (if I even end up liking the movie).

Colin Jacobson --- if you are reading --- this is the case where it is obvious a Superbit will be released....wouldn't you agree? :)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
The reveal the magic thing does have some sense behind it. After seeing the scale documentary of Fellowship I do find myself spotting the tricks they used to pull off the illusion, tricks I never noticed before despite having seen the movie 10+ times. So in that way, yeah, the movie has lost a little of its magic.

That same reason is also why Spielberg keeps the supplements on his movies more superficial, he also feels that there's a certain degree of stagecraft, and that a magician should never reveal his tricks.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I'm still waiting for the deleted scenes and infamous "WTC" trailer from the first Spider-Man movie to be released.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I don't think it's quite the same situation here. LOTR is 30 - 45 mins additional footage with tons of new FX shots to produce. What Raimi describes is nothing similar.

Plus, chances are this will be released with a much LARGER gap between theatrical and extended cuts than the LOTR films have been doing.

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm planning on purchasing the upcoming DVD release but it seems like I read somewhere here that there was a director's cut planned for the near future. Has anyone else heard of this and if so, when is it rumored to be released?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Raimi mentioned a director's cut, and I believe it was planned for at least a year after the first release. From his description, it doesn't sound like it'll be worth waiting for. Something like one minute of extra JJ Jameson footage? No thanks. I will only buy this title once, so I'll wait for reviews. If the 2-disc's transfer is comparable to the Superbit, I'll get that. If the Superbit blows the 2-discer away, I'll get the Superbit. I won't buy both, no matter how exciting the bonus features.

Actually, here's the exact wording of what was going around:

It doesn't sound horrible. The JJJ bit is not the ONLY thing being considered, just the only one directly mentioned. I won't hold off on buying the disc over it, though.

If you want to read more about this, do a Yahoo search for spider-man 2.5 raimi. That gave me a bunch of links, but they mostly seem to all contain the passage above.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
I think that Sam Raimi said at a press conference that a few snippets and one very small scene (together less than five minutes) were cut and that Columbia Tristar will release an extended version sometime "later".

But that will only be an "Extended" version - the Director's Cut was what you saw in the theater and it will be released in November.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I took the word "teased" in this regard to be similar to a teaser trailer, or just a brief taste. But, you may be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks