What's new

Spider in the TV!!! (1 Viewer)

Ok, this is pretty wild, but any advice to remedy this would be appreciated. I was watching some dvds yesterday on my Toshiba 50H82 set. I noticed a spider on the screen, so I went to knock it off, but it didn't go anywhere. I then noticed the damn spider was INSIDE the screen! Anyone have any advice how to get the thing out of there? Is there any way that I myself could gain access to the inside of the set and remove the thing without risking damaging the set in some way? Also, does anyone know how the spider could have possibly gotten inside??? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Hardly, David. You'd be surprised how many members report this problem. The spider let himself in the RPTV's "back door" (that is, the ventilation holes). Getting the little fellow out might require letting his lifespan run its course (all of which is based on the presumption it's not a female spider bearing her brood).

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I'll echo Jack. It will probably be gone in a couple of days-- from death or excessive noise from the speakers. I suffered from pantry moths last year (always close your flour bags!!!) and the little buggers kept showing up between the screens. They were extremely annoying, but they died out in a couple of days.
I wouldn't risk opening up your set to get a single spider and don't try to squish it, but like Jack said, if you see spiderlings that's a different story.
Good luck!
~~Nathan

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
(Spider hating person here). I know I have some 'Spider Killer' spray that kills spiders: only a teeny tiny bit touching them sends them running and to immediate death. Perhaps it would be safe to spray some in the air near the vent? I'm not sure how safe chemicals in the air are to an RPTV, though, any thoughts, anyone?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I like spiders. Every time I see one in the house I take the thing outside (spiders run the risk of playing a game of Natural Selection with my beloved cat Attila). Luckily, my equipment hasn't become a refuge for the potentially endangered creatures.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm assuming this should go without saying, but DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING inside the rear of the set while it is on, or turn it on within an hour after having done so.

Also, refrain from watching Spiderman until you know he's gone...you just never know!

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Jack, give me your mailing address and I'll send you a box full of new pets. :)
:D
~~Nathan

MikeM

Screenwriter
I remember reading way back in an issue of Macworld as to how one could "spider proof" their computer.

The same could hold true for TVs, where the most interesting suggestion was to buy ordinary women's pantyhose and stretch them to completely cover any ventilation holes. Although TVs are much larger, it's an interesting idea if spiders persistently become a problem.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Dave, what's your spray? I don't like anything with more than 7 legs.
Nathan, it's called Spider Killer. Seriously. Nice simple name for a good product. They stock it at our local Meijer store (I don't think Meijer is in GA) in the same aisle in Grocery with the paper plates & Hornet killing stuff. It will either mist or spray a nice big splat of it depending on how hard you press the button (it splats about 6 or 7 feet!).
And on spraying, I wasn't talking spraying inside, just in the air outside the TV perhaps? The teeniest hint of it near them generally sends the spiders a-runnin'.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Spiders are generally beneficial or harmless, but my tolerance for them ends at the back door. If they're inside my house, they're fair game.

I'd be careful with the spray, though. Every time you use it, you get it on your finger, you breathe a little in, you leave residue on the floor and walls that pets and kids can get into. Just squashing 'em with a Kleenex gets the job done.

I'd also agree with the advice to just let the spider inside the TV alone. You can, if you want, follow the various online directions for removing an RPTV screen and clean inside, but the spider will probably just go away or die.

Just as a side note, I got ants inside a telephone once. They kept crawling out of the receiver and there seemed to be no end to 'em. I finally put the phone in the freezer for a couple of hours and then shook the frozen ants out.

I don't recommend this technique for an RPTV, however. :)

Jan

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 40H80 that has hosted, unfortunately, any variety of wildlife. One night I thought the machine was going nuts as three circles (like tiny UFOs) moved around the screen. It was a ladybug seeking a warm winter home. Fortunately, the bug escaped or croaked without rooting itself on a lens.

I did acquire a spider at a later date. Worse than just having him scuttling around, the little sucker built a web. I ended up getting a service call under an extended warranty--the only time I ended up using the expensive sucker. In addition to wiping away the spider (then dead of starvation of course), I got a couple of years worth of dust off the lenses. The truly brave who are bereft of warranty could no doubt do the work themselves.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks