1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

SPHE Press Release: GHOSTBUSTERS (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “Who ya gonna call?!...”

Ghostbusters

Debuts on Blu-ray Disc™ Worldwide June 16th

Available for the First Time in High-Definition in Celebration of the 25th Anniversary
    Arrives Packaged with 32 Page Scrapbook, Including Exclusive High-Def Features “Slimer Mode” and “Ecto-1 Refurbishment” Featurette

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 8, 2009) –America’s favorite paranormal psychologists are back to save the world, this time with unsurpassed picture and audio quality and advanced new bonus features in the Ghostbusters Blu-ray Disc, releasing worldwide the week of June 16, 2009. The simultaneous launch of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, the highly anticipated videogame from Atari, celebrates the film’s 25th anniversary, with an all-new adventure from by the film’s original writers. Ivan Reitman’s sci-fi blockbuster comedy stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Annie Potts, and Rick Moranis. The high-def set oozes with special features and interactivity including collectible 32 page scrapbook, Slimer Mode, a picture-in-picture graphical viewing experience, a featurette on the refurbishing of Ecto-1, and more.

“This great franchise is one of the crown jewels in the studio’s library,” said Lexine Wong, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s Senior Executive Vice President, Worldwide Marketing.
    “With Ghostbusters 25th anniversary upon us and the forthcoming release of an eagerly anticipated new video game, this is the perfect opportunity to release this exciting new edition on Blu-ray Disc.”

Directed and produced by Ivan Reitman (Meatballs, Stripes), with the screenplay written by Dan Aykroyd (My Girl, The Great Outdoors) and Harold Ramis (Knocked Up), Ghostbusters stars Bill Murray (Meatballs, Stripes), Dan Aykroyd (My Girl, The Great Outdoors), Sigourney Weaver (Aliens, Copycat), Harold Ramis (Knocked Up), Annie Potts (TV’s “Designing Women”), and Rick Moranis (Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Spaceballs).

Synopsis:
    University parapsychologists Dr. Peter Venkman (Murray), Dr. Raymond Stanz (Aykroyd) and Dr. Egon Spengler (Ramis) lose a research grant when their experiment methodology is proven to be bogus. The team decides to go into business for themselves and open ‘Ghostbusters,’ a ghost removal service. After struggling to get on their feet, they are summoned to investigate the strange happenings in Dana Barrett’s (Weaver) Central Park West apartment. What they discover is that all Manhattan is being besieged by ghosts and other worldly demons through a portal in her building.

Ghostbusters Blu-ray Disc Special Features:
    All-New Exclusive Special Features
    •Digitally Mastered Audio and Video
    •Slimer Mode: Picture-in-Picture Graphical Viewing Experience with an examination of the spook-hunters’ firehouse headquarters, an in-depth exploration of the creatures in the Ghostbusters mythology, behind-the-scenes discussions of making the movie, new cast, crew and special effects artists interviews and much more!
    •Featurette: Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
    •Ghostbusters Garage: Ecto-1 Gallery
    •Collectible 32 Page Scrapbook

Additional Special Features
    •Filmmakers’ Commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck
    •Featurette: 1984 – The Making of Ghostbusters – Interviews with the cast and crew
    •Featurette: Interviews with Cast and Crew
    •Featurette: SFX Team - Includes Before and After Multi-Angle Explorations
    •Scene Cemetery – 10 Deleted Scenes
    •Audio: English, Spanish (Castilian), French (Parisian), Portuguese (Brazil)
    •Subtitles: English, Spanish (Latin Am), French (Parisian), Portuguese (Brazil), Dutch, Arabic
    •Storyboard Comparisons
    •Closed Captioned

Ghostbusters has a run time of approximately 105 minutes and is rated PG for adult language and mild violence. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

The Blu-ray Disc version of Ghostbusters is BD-Live™ enabled, allowing users to get connected and go beyond the disc via an Internet-connected Blu-ray player. Download exclusive content, register for rewards, give feedback through our survey and more!
    Get rewarded for registering your Sony Blu-ray discs! The Sony Pictures Blu-ray Club rewards consumers in the U.S. for purchasing and registering BD-Live enabled Sony Blu-ray movies. Members can redeem accumulated points for cool Sony products, plus enter to win cash and prizes in daily sweepstakes and more. For details visit Sony Rewards - BluRay - Sony Rewards.

Ghostbusters Blu-ray Disc™
    BD Catalog # 24946*
    UPC Code: 0-43396-24946-2*
    Order Date: 12/18/08*
    SLP: $38.96*
    *Information applies to US release only

2. zackscott5

zackscott5 Well-Known Member

very sweet! Now I only hope that they replace the awful photoshoped cover art with the original poster art for the Blu-Ray Release.

3. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Well-Known Member

I would love for the box art to be the simple "no ghosts" logo on a black background.

4. Scott D S

Scott D S Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite films but I'm going to wait until the reviews come out. I'm sure the quality will be just fine but I've seen comparisons between the original 1999 DVD and the remastered one (with the slime-green artwork) and I like the original transfer better.

And I agree re: just the "no ghosts" logo on the cover.

Too bad they aren't including any of the other deleted scenes (the complete fort scene, the scene when they get back to the college which was included on the Criterion LD, etc.)

Are the trailers and trivia track included?

5. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Well-Known Member

Jeff Robertson
    Great news! I just threw in my SD-DVD not long ago and it doesn't look too good....but not due to the source material. I just think it is a poorly authored disc. I'm sure the BD will look excellent, though.

6. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Tim Glover
    Great news indeed! Thanks Ron.

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

Very cool!

8. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Well-Known Member

Excellent news......Another DVD to send to the used disc shops once I get this. [​IMG]

9. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

John Steffens
    I got rid of my Ghostbusters DVD a very long time ago.
    I do remember that there was a bad flicker motion in the beginning somewhere.
    It always bothered me.

Here's hoping the blu-ray will be fantastic.

I would have liked to have the deleted scenes from the Criterion Laserdisc.
    But I still have the Criterion Laserdisc

10. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Well-Known Member

Why are the deleted scenes from the Criterion LD still missing?

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Man. Ernie Hudson doesn't even get a mention in the press release...

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not being forced into buying GB2 if I want this (ala Warner) but you wouldn't know it by the higher than normal price tag.

Good news it's coming though.

13. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Well-Known Member

It's only one of two deleted scenes from the Criterion LD, a scene that takes place right before they walk into the lab to find Dean Yeager coming to kick them out.

YouTube - Ghostbusters - Deleted Nobel Prize Scene

The thing that fans have wanted to see for years, though, is the Fort Detmerring sequence. This was a job that Ray and Winston were at while Venkman was encountering Zuul and Egon was with the Keymaster. Part of the Fort scene (the floating female ghost) was pulled out and used in the montage in the middle of the film.

The only other bits that didn't show up on previous editions seem to be a parking attendant attempting to ticket Ecto-1 and the Keymaster encountering some muggers in Central Park.

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Well-Known Member

[nitpick]collectible? Hockey cards are collectible![/nitpick]

Sold!

15. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Well-Known Member

Just a head's up: The Digital Bits is reporting that Sony's lowered the MSRP from $38.96 to $28.95.

16. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this one.

17. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

Smart move on Sony's part.

18. Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose Well-Known Member

A must buy. Still I'm disappointed that none of the other deleted scenes are included and the music video is also MIA.

19. Timothy E

Timothy E Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    The press release describes 10 deleted scenes. Hopefully, all of the deleted scenes from the Criterion LD are included in this. It doesn't look good though since the DVD had 10 deleted scenes and the Criterion LD scenes were not included there. [​IMG]

20. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Well-Known Member

As noted above, there is only one scene on the Criterion LD of 'Ghostbusters' that wasn't on the DVD. I'm more concerned that they won't bother digging up the other three or so scenes that have never been seen anywhere.

Incidentally, all the deleted scenes from 'Ghostbusters' have appeared from a tape copy of a workprint. If Columbia had all the materials to re-edit 'Stripes,' why wouldn't there be the ability to get the trims from 'Ghostbusters' and do nice transfers? This is obviously one of their premium catalog titles.