1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

SPHE Press Release: Das Boot (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

NOT JUST A TERRIFIC ADRENALINE RUSH,
    BUT ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER MADE

-James Berardinelli, Reelviews

WOLFGANG PETERSEN’S DIRECTING IS AN EXERCISE IN PURE CRAFTMANSHIP.”

-Roger Ebert, RogerEbert.com

BECOME IMMERSED IN THE SIX-TIME
    ACADEMY AWARD®-NOMINATED EPIC WWII MASTERPIECE

DAS BOOT

From Internationally-Acclaimed,
    Oscar
    ®-Nominated Director Wolfgang Petersen

DIGITALLY RESTORED AND FULLY REMASTERED

AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY™ ON JUNE 7

Culver City, Calif. (March 29, 2011) – Today, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment announced that they will unleash the harrowing 1981 epic World War II film, Das Boot, for the first time on Blu-ray on June 7, 2011 for the SLP of $34.95. Newly remastered for high definition, the director’s cut of this prized film adds 60 nail-biting minutes to the original version, which was nominated in 1982 for six Academy Awards® including Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Effects/Sound Effects Editing and Best Sound. Also included in the two-disc set is the original theatrical version of the film and almost three hours of all-new Blu-ray exclusive special features, including a retrospective documentary with Director Wolfgang Petersen.

The film follows the lives of a fearless U-Boat captain Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock (Jurgen Prochnow, The Da Vinci Code, Air Force One) and his inexperienced crew as they become engulfed in the "Battle of the Atlantic" during World War II. The crew confronts the constant and paralyzing fear of the unknown enemy above in the claustrophobic iron belly of a German U-boat. Variety likens the experience to “a descent into the pit of hell.” Director Wolfgang Petersen’s close and focused shots meticulously capture the gritty reality of pursuing rival ships from undersea in a blind environment, humid with sweat and rank with the bitter scent of metal.

Masterfully crafted by Petersen (Troy, Air Force One) and critically acclaimed as one of the best war films of all time, Das Boot is a masterpiece that should be part of every film enthusiast’s collection. The two-disc Blu-ray is tightly packed with special features including a retrospective documentary of the making of the film, seven vignettes taking viewers on an intimate tour of a German U-boat, two featurettes offering insights from wife and First Assistant Director, Maria Petersen and a look into the making of the Director’s Cut, historical material with footage detailing the evolution of submarine battles during World War II and a director’s commentary.

Trailers for the digitally restored and fully remastered Das Boot Blu-ray are available via the links below:

http://www.sonypictures.com/sphe/dasboot/dasboot_coming_soon_trailer.wmv

http://www.sonypictures.com/sphe/dasboot/dasboot_coming_soon_trailer.mov

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Das Boot Synopsis:[/FONT]

At the height of WWII, a young submarine crew heads out to sea on a top-secret mission that all but ensures most will never make it home alive. Ordered to patrol the Atlantic and destroy an allied armada bringing supplies to Britain, these raw recruits must band together, bracing themselves against a depth-charge assault from an unseen enemy. Oscar ® - nominated director Wolfgang Petersen’s epic adventure deftly explores tension as pressure builds to an explosive climax, packing a visceral punch few movies can match.

2-Disc Blu-ray Special Features:

• Wolfgang Petersen-Back To The Boat

• Going Deeper:

Maria’s Take

• The Perfect Boat

[*]
    Captain’s Tour

• Rooms Overview

• Entry Conning Tower

• Torpedo Room & Crew Quarters

• Captain’s & Officers’ Rooms

• The Control Room

• Petty Officers’ Room & Galley

• Diesel & Electric Motor Rooms

[*]
    Historical Material

• Behind the Scenes (1981)

• Battle of the Atlantic (1983)

• Director’s Commentary – Wolfgang Petersen

Das Boot has a run time of 208 minutes and is rated R for some war violence and brief language. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

“Oscar®” is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Das Boot[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']2-Disc Blu-ray Catalog #: [/FONT]37968

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']2-Disc Blu-ray UPC Code: [/FONT]043396379688

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']2-Disc Blu-ray Order Date: [/FONT]5/5/2011

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']2-Disc Blu-ray SLP:[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] $[/FONT]34.95

2. WinstonCely

WinstonCely Well-Known Member

Awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

3. SD_Brian

SD_Brian Well-Known Member

I've never seen the 1981 theatrical cut so I'm excited it's finally being included here! Finally I'll be able to choose between the 2 1/2 hour version, the 3 1/2 hour version or the 5 hour TV version (except I'll have to watch the DVD of that one, should the mood strike)!

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

Bummed that the 293 minute version isn't included. I guess they don't anticipate this title being enough of a big seller to warrant that kind of treatment.

5. taoyue

taoyue Member

Das Boot is a great example of how editing can drastically change the effect of a film.

I actually find the theatrical cut to be superior to the director's cut. Seeing the TV cut just completely ruined the director's cut for me. Now, it just feels like a cutdown version of the TV cut, with a number of loose threads and partial storylines. Whereas the theatrical cut feels like a complete reimagining -- because it's so much shorter that they had to think very carefully about what to include.

There's a version of the original theatrical cut with the actors dubbing themselves in English. Because of the proximity of German to English, this would be quite an interesting effect. I haven't seen it, though.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

FINALLY! A film from when Petersen was actually a good director, before Hollywood turned him to s#$%. This is a release day purchase for me.

7. WinstonCely

WinstonCely Well-Known Member

The first time I watch - er - tried to watch the film was on a VHS that only had bad, and I mean really bad English dubbing. I turned it off about 20 minutes in because it sounded too much like a joke. I'm 100% positive that it wasn't the one you're talking about because the accents were not the least little bit like German. I would be interested to see them dub the lines though. At least they'd sound German.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I've only ever seen "Das Boobs" on SCTV, so I might grab this up even though I'm more curious for the TV cut if that was the directors original intention.

9. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen this movie. Does the entire film take place in the submarine?

10. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

^ Not all of it is set on the sub but most of it is.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    For those interested, Amazon is currently selling this BR release at 17.99

Crawdaddy

12. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Well-Known Member

Phil
    Holy smoke, what fantastic news. I was just thinking a couple days ago about how much I would love to see this in high-def; it's on my most wanted list. Looks like I can check another one off!