1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

SPHE Press Release: Bright Star (CORRECTION NO BLU-RAY)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Please not that Sony issued a correction to this press release that the film would NOT be available on Blu-ray as indicated here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"Bright Star is one of the most deeply-moving romantic films in memory."
    - Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

Bright Star
    [FONT= 'Monotype Corsiva'] [/FONT]
    From Oscar®-Winning Writer-Director Jane Campion
    And Starring Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish

Arriving on Blu-ray Disc™ & DVD on January 19, 2010

Culver City, Calif. (November 16, 2009) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s romantic rhapsody is revealed as Bright Stardebuts on high definition Blu-ray™ and DVD on January 19, 2009 for the SRP of $27.96. Set at the heart of the British Romanic movement, when popular ideology celebrated emotion over reason, this ravishing love story centers on the wistful poet John Keats and his love affair with the clever, Fanny Brawne. The memoir is brought to the silver screen by Oscar®-winning auteur Jane Campion (Best Original Screenplay, The Piano, 1993) and the characters are flawlessly captured by the talents of Ben Whishaw (Perfume: The Story of A Murder, Brideshead Revisited) as Keats and the lovely Abbie Cornish (A Good Year, Stop-Loss) as his “Bright Star.”
    Focusing on the three-year period when Keats was a boarder at the Brawne home in Hempstead, England, this sweeping story is as full of grace and beauty as it is of pain and sorrow. Artfully capturing the story of young love at its purest, Keats and Brawne weave an enchanting tale that never goes out of fashion.

Bright Star
    Synopsis

London, 1818: a secret love affair began between 23-year-old English poet, John Keats, and the girl next door, Fanny Brawne, who was an outspoken student of fashion. This unlikely pair was initially at odds- he thought she was a stylish minx, while she was unimpressed by literature in general. Yet it was the illness of Keats’ younger brother that brought them together. Keats was touched by Fanny’s efforts to help and agreed to teach her poetry. By the time Fanny’s alarmed mother and Keats’ best friend Brown realized their attachment, the relationship had an unstoppable momentum. Intensely and helplessly absorbed in each other, the young lovers were swept into powerful new sensations. “I have the feeling as if I were dissolving,” Keats wrote to her. Together they rode a wave of romantic obsession that deepened as their troubles mounted. Only Keats’ illness proved insurmountable.

Bright Star is written and directed by Jane Campion (The Piano); executive produced by François Ivernel (Slumdog Millionaire co-executive producer), Christine Langan (The Queen), Cameron McCracken (Slumdog Millionaire co-executive producer) and David M. Thompson (Men Who Star at Goats); produced by Jan Chapman (The Piano, Holy Smoke) and Caroline Hewitt (The Hitchhiker’s Guide To the Galaxy co-producer); and stars Ben Whishaw (Perfume: The Story of A Murder, Brideshead Revisited) and Abbie Cornish (A Good Year, Stop-Loss).

Bright Star has a run time of 119 minutes and is rated PG for thematic elements, some sensuality, brief language and incidental smoking. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

Bright Star
    Catalog #: 33414
    UPC Code: 043396334144
    Order Date: 12/24/2009
    SLP: $27.96

"Oscar®" is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The Blu-ray Disc version of Bright Star is BD-Live enabled, allowing users to get connected and go beyond the discs with an Internet-connected Blu-ray player. BD-Live provides the opportunity to view exclusive content, register for Blu-ray Club rewards, provide feedback through our survey and experience interactive special features.

The Sony Pictures Blu-ray Club rewards consumers in the U.S. for purchasing and registering BD-Live enabled Sony Blu-ray movies. Members can redeem accumulated points for cool Sony products, plus enter to win cash and prizes in daily sweepstakes and more. For details visit www.sonyrewards.com/bluray.

2. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Well-Known Member

THANK YOU so much for posting this.

dvdtimes.co.uk posted an announcement yesterday but it only mentions a standard DVD release, and I was fearful there wouldn't be a Blu-ray, even though this beautiful film deserves ever so much a Blu-ray release. I can now relax. :)

3. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Paula,

Hate to burst your joy, but I just received this notice
    from the studio:

Bright Star Correction: The release date for Bright Star is now January 26, 2009 and it WILL NOT be released on Blu-ray. It will be only released on DVD. The edited press release is forthcoming.

So, it seems the studio sent out press releases that

incorrectly stated a BD version was forthcoming.

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

Sony must have reassembled the Delorean. ^^

5. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    What the hell? Why no Blu-ray? Is it 2007 again?

6. Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman Well-Known Member

Sony's probably holding out until a winner is declared in the format war.

Agreed - that decision makes no sense.

7. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Well-Known Member

Dear Ron,

Thanks for the update.

This wins for stupidest studio decision of the month.

As I said, this is a beautiful film. Not just beautiful actually, it's exquisite. And they're NOT releasing it on Blu-ray?

That's... NUTS.

Who do I write to, to let them know they just lost a sale?

8. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Chances are they are reading this very thread.

9. Guest

I'm writing to this address: consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com and also to contact@apparition.com (the company that released the film).

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

This film sounds tailor made for women. Looks like Sony is not interested in marketing Blu-ray to a market segment that has a major influence on household purchases. Brilliant marketing move Sony.

11. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Well-Known Member

In my household I am the person who insisted on 1) getting that new Betamax player; b) that new VHS player; c) that new CD player; d) that new CD/laser disc player; e) that even newer CD/laser disc player; f) that new big widescreen rear projection HDTV; g) that new Direct TV high def receiver; h) replacing the now old rear projection HDTV with that new big flatscreen HDTV; i) the Blu-ray player.

I also buy about 98 percent of the DVDs for our collection.

Not the hubby. ME. The female of the species in our particular household. (Hubby is happy with his old 27 inch TV that he frequently watches upstairs. It's the iPhone he keeps updating.) :)

I hope you're reading this Sony. :)

Seriously, I am flabbergasted. I just *assumed* that Bright Star would be on Blu-ray. There already is all kinds of garbage being released in the format, but they can't release one of year's loveliest films? I don't get it.

12. Brad HP

Brad HP Active Member

I agree. This is a great movie. It still lingers with you long after seeing it. I'm not buying any more new DVDs Sony so If you want a sale then please produce a Blu-Ray. Otherwise I'll find a used copy somewhere. By the way it happens to still be playing in West Newton, MA if anyone is interested and near there.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

So.....the most visually beautiful film of the year doesn't get a Blu-Ray release?
    Sony must hate us.

As a rule I no longer buy S-dvd of any new film, so I guess we all lose with this decision.

14. Bryan^H

Has anyone even heard a rumor as to why the Blu-Ray has been canceled?

15. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

What else could it be besides that they think it won't sell well enough to even bother releasing it? I'm not saying that they're right or wrong but I can't imagine it's anything beyond the projected numbers.

16. Bryan^H

Yes, but Sony releases every other small(limited release) movie of theirs on Blu-Ray. The Damned United just got a release date. I was guessing Sony just wanted to be difficult, but now I see that is sort of silly. After all there is no way to gauge how a title will sell until after it is released. I'm sure Bright Star will see a Blu-Ray release sometime next year.

17. strangetramp

strangetramp New Member

>_

18. JediFonger

JediFonger Well-Known Member

ARGH!!!! read so many rave reviews about this. like many i've stopped buying DVDs!!! i can't keep cluttering my house w/multiple media of the same film!

i'll keep waiting for your Blu-Ray! need to release EVERYTHING (especially brand NEW titles) on Blu-Ray! heck, Masters of Cinema series from the European lines are releasing Blu-Ray ONLY titles.

19. Bryan^H

Yeah it's puzzling to say the least. Sony releases 99.9% of every new release on Blu-Ray.

The only thing I can think of is there is a special edition coming to Blu-Ray sometime this year. They may be forcing a double dip for the hardcore fans of this film.

20. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Well-Known Member

Oh, the lucky French. Pathe has released Bright Star on Blu-ray in France. Region B locked, though.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bright-Star-Blu-ray/10102/#Review