What's new

SPHE - Bad Girls of Film Noir Vols 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Some of you guys are ridiculous, nobody ever "demanded" any cartoon shorts, nor that the cover be "fixed". Almost every single post I've made in the past few months has been Sony-related in some way as there's not much else activity around these parts thanks to the dormant state of the other studios. Almost all of these posts have been praising Sony's efforts and releases.

This is a forum which is unique in that it allows us to communicate with many of the studio staffers involved in bringing these releases to the public, and as such we're able to offer feedback, both positive and negative when it's warranted. This cover sucks and it's as simple as that; criticism warranted. I never said I wasn't buying the set because of the ugly cover, frankly it's my most anticipated release of the year next to the New Hollywood Collection!

It's called constructive criticism and those of you who refuse to recognize or acknowledge anything but the fact that this studio is releasing classic catalog titles in an otherwise barren environment for DVD consumers are acting like a bunch of mindless sheep and comments like "less moaning and more applause" are not only silly and outlandish, but do not nothing than serve to illustrate that the members of this forum are timid simple-minded followers and product consumers...

I will voice my opinion when I think something's great and I will do the same when something is not. This cover is not. This set is. It's as simple as that. Sony has a habbit of producing some awful cover art and most, including those studio flag wavers, would agree. Visit any other online DVD forum from the Criterion boards to DVDTalk, the Classic Horror Forum and any number of others - you will find similar comments and a general consensus. Is it the end of the world? No. Is it something that will deter any of us from purchasing Sony product? I hope not! Is it something that needs to be? No, not all. It cheapens the overall quality of a fine and top-notch package. Now for the record, my comment was a passing opinion adn YOU'VE all drawn this out and made it a bigger deal then necessary, but why not... Sony should be able to produce better. This one happens to be especially cheap looking. Now that's my opinion and I'm standing by it.

Good night.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Thomas T

I don't watch cover art. I watch DVDs. They can just put the title on the spine and leave everything else blank as far as I'm concerned.
Glad you're not employed by Sony's marketing dept.

This is the kind of attitude we want from someone producing high quality products. "Well the content's great... so let's just toss it in a paper lunch sack". It baffles me really.

You say you don't care, and frankly, I'm not torn by it either. But are you suggesting that if GIVEN THE OPTION of a nice looking package, you'd take something ugly and gaudy... because, um, you don't watch the cover??

Is this logical reasoning or is everyone just out to prove how unphased they are? Admit it... the cover is ugly. Sony won't pull the release to spite you guys, I promise!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Personally, I'm fine with the cover. At least some thought has gone into it and it's not just some "big head" abomination.
Anyway, here's a thought. I'm a fan of original poster art, and I guess most others here are too, but does that kind of cover actually do well with the casual browser? Fans such as ourselves will buy this regardless, but Sony must feel this will draw in more customers.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jay E

You know, I never looked at the artwork until just now after reading all these comments as the artwork is not of the upmost importance to me. Like someone else mentioned, it could be blank case with just the name on it and I will buy it (although it is a nice plus if the artwork looks nice).

That being said, and as someone who has some background in marketing, that cover is not the way to market a product such as this. It really looks like a cheap public domain release from one of those fly by night DVD companies, I would walk right by it if I saw it on the shelf at a store. I say this only because I really want sets like this to sell well and I would hate to see bad marketing decisions hurting it's chances.
Again... why the need to preface your opinion with the lame old "I would buy it in a blank case" schtick?

Some people are overly sensitive. I hope this isn't how all of you guys engage in "real life" conversation as you aren't likely to get very far. To the guy above who thinks that the studios are probably "put off" by reading quasi-complaints online about a product they are trying to sell us... get real!

Crappy artwork is crappy artwork.

To those who prefer not to acknowledge, then I have some fine scribble scrabble paintings that the kids in my second grade class made - I'll sell them for a premium and they'll look lovely framed. Send me a pm!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Livius

Personally, I'm fine with the cover. At least some thought has gone into it and it's not just some "big head" abomination.
Anyway, here's a thought. I'm a fan of original poster art, and I guess most others here are too, but does that kind of cover actually do well with the casual browser? Fans such as ourselves will buy this regardless, but Sony must feel this will draw in more customers.
If there were any doubt, well I'd be all for this but no way that's the scenario. This is being marketed to noir fans and golden age afficianados. It's not like a Tom and Jerry set where one can question the divide between the intended audience. Here, it's very clear and consumer know what to expect. Now too much is being made of the art work, but I do believe that within the "genre" or movement if you will, there's nothing more reflective of the noir films than the iconic vintage artwork that was used to market them. There's been several books released reproducing jsut that. I feel they go hand in hand. Similar to the pulp dime novels that influences so many of these screenplays. Film noir happens to be a "hot" thing right now, even outside of cinephile circles. There's a broader crossover appeal with mainstream including lots of lousy contemporary film homages and the like. Hipster directors like Tarrantino and his ilk love to praise these films every given chance. Now I'm not saying that I would absolutely want old movie poster covers, but I don't think there's any question that they would be better recognized by all in defining the type of release that this is. I think we can all move on from this subject now, and hopefully this resonates with the studio players who might be following along...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

To the guy above who thinks that the studios are probably "put off" by reading quasi-complaints online about a product they are trying to sell us... get real!
That's not what I said. I said "...I don't think this one thread or anything in it is going to drive a studio away from the internet but I doubt complaints about the cover raises anyone's opinion of message boards either."

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not seeing the difference between our two statements. Mine was a pretty close interpretation of that, no?

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
People who love these kind of films are going to buy them anyway...if you don't buy just because of the cover then you really aren't into the films and are more just a collector of DVD's.

Many of you are thinking like people who already like and want these films...the outside buyers who will or could make up extra sales might just like that cover more than just poster art(many thinking oh thats just some old movie)...besides it's four films, and I don't think squeezing four posters in there is going to please anyone. I really don't mind the cover, I kind of like the babe and like how in her shadow she's holding a gun...along with the title and the red color I think thats more appealing to the outside buyer really.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
People who love these kind of films are going to buy them anyway...if you don't buy just because of the cover then you really aren't into the films and are more just a collector of DVD's.
That's a mighty strong statement. Not everyone who loves these kind of films, belongs to an online forum or follows release dates like we do. There are a large percentage of people (especially older people), who don't even use the internet and their primary form of discovery is walking the aisles at Borders, Best Buy, etc... If the cover art does not jump at you, then a sale might be lost. If enough sales are lost, then financing is pulled and further sets are not released. That is my concern and should be other people's primary concern also.

I kind of like the babe and like how in her shadow she's holding a gun...along with the title and the red color I think thats more appealing to the outside buyer really.
That is a definite possibility. I don't claim to be an expert in marketing.....in fact I'm quite far from it because I would buy these titles in a brown paper bag. If a marketing survey has been done and simple artwork like this has been found to more effective, then I would drop the issue entirely. My personal opinion is that this artwork doesn't stray very far from the brown paper bag concept.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
That is a definite possibility. I don't claim to be an expert in marketing.....in fact I'm quite far from it because I would buy these titles in a brown paper bag. If a marketing survey has been done and simple artwork like this has been found to more effective, then I would drop the issue entirely. My personal opinion is that this artwork doesn't stray very far from the brown paper bag concept.
I spoke to several German DVD companies that offer catalog/obscure titles and here in Germany, the situation is pretty clear. If you want shelfspace in one of the big retailers you need to create a modern-looking cover. Original cover art seems to be a no-go. Don't know whether the American retailers have a comparable policy.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Speak plainly and express opinions. That's what I try to do on forums like HTF. Nothing wrong with liking the product but hating the packaging (in this case), pricing, or some other aspect and expressing that opinion. Doesn't make you ungrateful for the release. The consumer has the right to give feedback.

Same kind of resistance as you see on the Warner Archive threads where legitimate complaints are made about cost/value but posters are branded as whiners. "Quit complaining. You should be happy they're releasing them at all. Etc." I ignore such nonsense, there and here.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
For the record, nobody is asking for vintage looking poster art. criterion and many other companies can produce terrific looking contemporary designs that don't look like cheesy photoshop jobs from Alpha Video. That's all we're saying...

And if we're going to the exemplary ref. source, well then look no further then Warners hugely successful noir sets. They were not neglected shelf space nor scoffed at for marketing classic films as classic films.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

That's a mighty strong statement. Not everyone who loves these kind of films, belongs to an online forum or follows release dates like we do. There are a large percentage of people (especially older people), who don't even use the internet and their primary form of discovery is walking the aisles at Borders, Best Buy, etc... If the cover art does not jump at you, then a sale might be lost. If enough sales are lost, then financing is pulled and further sets are not released. That is my concern and should be other people's primary concern also.
I should have been more clear, I just meant people who know about it and see the cover like on this forum and say something like, oh I won't buy this because I hate the cover, ...people actually do that and that just makes no sense to me.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Ugh...I used to be like you guys and fight for every last thing with these classic releases but I woke up and saw whats going on now...sometimes when I read these posts it's like I'm watching dinosaurs that are ignorant of the fact I giant meteor is coming. The times they are a changin...like it or not.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
and what does that have to do with an ugly cover?

nobody's asking for anything with this topic really, they're just stating their valid opinions.

Who knows, Sony's henchmen lurk 'round these parts... maybe they'll get wise and change things up. maybe not. In the end the only thing that matters is the integrity of the studio with these products. It's their decision and we'll surely buy the sets anyway. But nobody's calling for revolution or even asking for anything different. Just letting them know that the artist designing this crap is really terrible. Point finale.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I hate to say this, but I actually like the Volume 1 packaging. It reminds me of a pulp magazine cover. The smoky shadow of the girl holding a gun is as interesting as her bright red fingernails that match her dress and lipstick. While this cover is not as good as it could be, it is miles ahead of the ones they did for Film Noir Vol. 1, Sam Fuller Collection, Jack Lemon Collection and others.

While the covers never bother me and I as so many other people on this forum do, we buy them for the content. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has their opinions. That my friends is what makes the world go round and keeps it from being a boring place to live. Bring on the different opinons.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
[COLOR= #0000ff]Let me again state that I am merely a consultant. I do not have any say in the cover art, and I'm not sure that Grover does, either. Our first and foremost concern is content, and it's not expedient to expend capital on things we have no control over. End of story.

Mike S.
[/COLOR]

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Cover art is nice.To me it's an extra. If they have nice cover art that i like, that's great. But in all the years i've been buying videos and dvds,i've never been influenced by cover art to buy a movie or tv season.It's always about the content.That being said.I wish all the studios that sell dvds would use original poster art for cover art.To me that would be great.

I do understand that others may not be of the same opinion.That's just what i would like to see.But if there is a movie or tv season i want.I'm buying regardless of the cover art.

Hell i could always make my own cover if it bothered me that much.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I will admit that Ive bought some really bad giallos and spaghetti westerns on dvd simply because of attractive packaging. I'm talking really unwatchable z grade 60s italian trash that I couldnt sit through, on the basis of vintage poster art alone. I'll also admit that when my wish list is high and I find myself at my local retailer, I will often be swayed towards those items that are visually more appealing. It took me forever to pick up the SE of The Apartment which was way up on my want list for the longest time because of what the thing looked like. I kept finding myself pulled towards other purchases. It doesnt ever prevent me from purchasing but I do agree with the above opinion that it's substantial as a supplement or extra. It's nice to have a nice package.

Sony's older Capra and Grant Collections were good lower cost alternatives I think, and it wouldve been nice to see those continued. I wonder what Rita will look like?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Back to content... I'm excited to read the public opinion of TKTSNY as I really believe it's an underrated noir gem that has received very little attention over the years. I hope this box set changes that. I'm dying to see the others too as I'm unacquainted with at least half of the content on these sets. I only wish these were being released sooner and in time for the holidays!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks