What's new

spending $2000 on the front three speakers, which ones... (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
Ive been reading up more on the av-3's.
Spec sheet seems to be a bit confusing, Danny, on the GR web site. The way I read it is that some of the info still references the old version of the av-3's. Or am I just na idiot?

PS, what depth would you recomend for them if I was not using a sub?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
GR is a great choice but not the only option if you're considering something DIY or custom built. I just have to recommend the Adire HE10.1/12.1... they don't have huge bass, but they are apparently very dynamic. And then there's the Kit281s which have better bass (to around 30Hz in room and probably more output than the GR's) but are low efficiency. I can say from experience that they sound pretty good but I know the midrange isn't up to the 5" GR's. And of course, there's the M8a design by Jon Marsh and Thomas W (what's his last name, anyway?) that's probably higher up in sound quality, but at a cost in money ($500/pr for parts?) and dynamics. Just so you know. :)

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Geno,

Everything below where it says "There are still some of the original design still available." still pertains to the current model and not the new version currently under development.

Everything above that is referring to the next version.

The depth of the current cabinet can be adjusted out to 15.75" and a slight port length adjustment to yield a -3db of 35Hz.

If not using a sub this is the way I would go with that model.

Brent-T

Grip
Geno, if you are trying to stay away from the towers with built in subs, and are 90/10 music/ht, I would definitely recommend the polk audio lsi9's matched to a good sub(svs?). I've had the paradigm studio 20's, which I've seen some members recommend for you, and recently auditioned the lsi9's, and can tell you these are wonderful speakers. They really shine on music, have a tweater found in $20,000 speakers, and the looks and build quality put paradigm to shame. Check out the reviews on these speakers. The lsiC center channel is pretty impressive too. Great for the price. Just my 2 cents.

Geno

Supporting Actor
ok stupid ? for Danny,
im assuming that the $300+ for thr av-3 kit is per speker and not per psir, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, i was thinking about having the cabs built with a plastic laminate finish [save money to possibly get 3 or 5 at once]but i know thats usually on part board and not mdf. Will it make that much of a diff.? should I insist on the mdf? If we apply the plam on in shop, it shouldnt be a problem but if we buy out, then well, I just need to know my options.

Another stupid ? - if I drastically changes the depth of the av-3's to say 24" to cut the heighth of the cabs down and keep the internal volume size intact, would that be recomended?

Geno

Supporting Actor
contd.

And as far as using these new speakers with a sub, I do have a pair of 10" subs I am using but the box is only temporary until I have time to really figure out what kind of box(s) they will go in. So yes I listen to music with the subs on but isnt it better to have the bass creating the soundstage also?. I dont have a good bass mgmnt system so I cant really tweak them so they ballance with the mains. If I could integrate the 10" drivers into the mains, that would be nice [the reason I am not interested in towers with powered subs is that they are usually side firing and come with thier own amps. I have my 2 10"'s so I dont need to purchase towers with more subs] but I dont want to deal with designing a xover for them or pay someone else to do it. I guess when I purchase the mains, it will almost force me to deal with the subs too. ahh the upgrade bug rears its ugly head! So if the subs can be used constantly instead of just during movies Id be happy i guess. anyway, any comments?

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
I guess when I purchase the mains, it will almost force me to deal with the subs too.
The speakers that you are considering can reach a -3db of 35Hz in the deeper box. This covers most music pretty well without adding a sub.

Also, sub-woofer plate amps have gotten pretty cheap and they offer a lot of adjustments to help you integrate them with your main speakers. I would look that way for an answer.

Geno

Supporting Actor
thanks for the reply, i didnt mean to lower the speaker [av-3] if i changed the height i'd add stands of some sort to keep the tweeters at the correct distance from the ground.

329 for a pair?? Wow!

BTW, i saw a pir of CELESTION AVF 302's !!! anyone heard these???cant say the design sucks but it might resonate itself

chek it out

JoeyTadeja

Agent
Check out the home theater shootout before you make your decision.

http://www.cheaphometheater.com/index.asp

Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO1
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/reviews/aegisevo.html
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/pr...udspeakers.html

Aperion Audio's 522D (with DiAural technology)
http://www.aperionaudio.com/products/pr_index.html
http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_135039_1594crx.aspx

Outlaw Audio and NAD Electronics would be a viable choice for a receiver.

A $2000 budget would probably get you a pair of kick-ass Vienna Acoustics Webern ($1500/pr)

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/va/prod_webern.htm

Geno

Supporting Actor
Thanks Joey, the Viennas look amazing!!

BTW i have my pre/amp setup but thanks for the NAD recomend. If I didnt have a b&k Id be getting NAD.

wow, now that i am really looking at speakers, the choises are just outrageous!!!! too many good speakers out there.

keep the recomendations coming!!!!

Geno

Supporting Actor
Danny, after looking around and listening to local speakers I [stick my foot in my mouth] am interested in the av+1's also. after thinking about putting 5 new floorstanding speakers in my 600 sqr ft apartment, I had to rethink for a while. If you would so kindly email me the CAD plans for the AV+1's , i would be most thankful.

ps Ill have some 3d speaker designs that youall can comment on soon.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I'm soemwhat surprised that you haven't heard about the VMPS options.

In your price area you would be looking at the RM1 and QSO626R.

"If" you are a 90/10 Music/HT listener, they certainly would provide a viable and incredibly performing speaker.

I have the VMPS in both an Audio and HT system (dual duty) and have never heard anything to match it.

All the speakers mentioned in this long, long thread are certainly superlative, but to my listening preferences (read: reproduction of the original even in music) there is not too much that offers the resolution, detail, soundstage and imaging.

If your not familiar with them go to www.vmpsaudio.com

Regards,

John

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw a big second in for John's recommendation of VMPS speakers! I've got a pair of RM2's that are just awesome, and will be adding other VMPS's down the line.

The 626R's are getting some great reviews, if you want bookshelves, and either the RM1 or the Tower II might fit the bill for floorstanders. John would be able to elaborate.

You can even get them as kits if you want to do DIY...Brian Cheney of VMPS has been great to deal with, and John has been a great resource, too...

In the end, it's all about the music!

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks