What's new

spending $2000 on the front three speakers, which ones... (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
ok, ive been slacking in the HT department for a while and moved to a spmaller apartment. but Ive accumulated $2000 budget for new mains and a center channel. the mains i have are old infinity bookshelves wich will become the surrounds on my 5.1.
the center only has to match the quality of those infinity's since now that i have moved, i am 90/10 music/movies. i could even possibly buy the center off ebay since thats how i got the infinity's. now to the mains. i am looking for high sensitivity speakers with a warm sound but still crisp when the music call for it. please make recomendations
havent looked at stores yet and wanted to get a good response from HTF before i went window shopping

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I like the internet brands because you get much more value for your money. Check out:
Home Theater Direct
ACI
Axiom
Onix Rockets
Ascend Acoustics
My personal favorite are the
Rockets

Sean Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Klipsch Heresy II's, my brother got a chance to listen too them, and he said he would place it up there with the Klipsch RF-5's, but without the lower bass. These have a high sensitivity, great dynamic range, and warm but crisp at the same time.

Here's a link to the Heresy's:

Klipsch Heresy Specifications

george king

Supporting Actor
Have Brian at Link Removed build you 3 GR Research A/V1+ speakers in the veneer of your choice, the caps upgrade and the matching stands for the fronts. There are extensive reviews of the A/V1+ here and at AA.

Check out the pictures at his website.

Hope this helps.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
What amp are you using? are you looking for high sensitivity speakers because you have low powered amp?

What types of music do you listen to primarily?

Where will the speakers be placed and what size of room are they going in?

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Geno,
I think you may want check out these B&W's

Fronts DM604 S3 $1400
Center LCR600 S3 $500

I had this setup and IMO it sounded great. But don't take my word for it go out and listen to as many speakers you can.

Have fun listening

george king

Supporting Actor
Then the GR Research A/V1+s would be a great speaker. Great for both music and HT. I have the A/V-1s (the smaller version), and they are really great. Supposedly a review of these will be out soon at the Secrets website, and the A/V-1s are favorable compared to $2K Dynaudios. The A/V1+s are even better than the A/V-1s.

Hope this helps.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
hi geno,

i would recommend to go with definitive technology speakers.
in your price range i recommend the BP2004TL floor standing speakers. they have a powered built-in subwoofer and sound fantastic with movies AND music. along with the fronts i would pick the CLR2300 center speaker which is also equipped with a build-in subwoofer. trust me: once you have encountered what a full range center speaker is capable of, you will never go back. this is a least my impression. further informations here: www.definitivetech.com

regards, holger

Geno

Supporting Actor
thanks for the opinions, keep 'em coming.
as far as powered speakers or speakers with built-in subs, i am not interested in those. i already have enough amp power for everything and I have 2 beautiful subs i could never replace.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
You could probably swing Paradigm Studio series with that kind of budget. Lots of people, including myself, seem to like them. They'd have that forward sound you're looking for.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
the center only has to match the quality of those infinity's since now that i have moved, i am 90/10 music/movies. i could even possibly buy the center off ebay since thats how i got the infinity's. now to the mains.
Whatever brand and model you decide with, I would strongly recommend to timbre match the center to your L & R. Preferably same brand.

Geno

Supporting Actor
has anyone heard of HUMAN speakers??? someone suggested looking at thos

Martice

Screenwriter
Whatever brand and model you decide with, I would strongly recommend to timbre match the center to your L & R. Preferably same brand.
Speaking of Timber matching, I say go with 3 GR Reasearch AV1+'s and don't ever worry about timbre matching again. Infact, if you have the same speakers up front then you're one up on everyone who has to settle on a similar but not quite the same center channel. The best thing is that you can get the finish anyway you want so that it matches your decor without sacrificing performance and more times than not, surpassing the offerings of retail speakers at similar prices.

george king

Supporting Actor
Well, you now have 3 votes for the A/V1+s. They really are great speakers even if you have never heard of them. The DIY or pseudo DIY is the best value.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
Although they will be under your budget by a lot. Check out the axiom m80ti's and the vp150 center channel. Things I like and other people like about these speakers: very good imaging, incredible midrange for the money, tight bass, very sensitive, and can play really loud. The things people don't like about these speakers: some people think they are slightly on the bright side, I did not find this true, but it is up to your ear, and they are low impedance so you have make sure you can drive 4 ohm speakers. Good luck with your hunt.

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to take a listen to a pair of Totem Arro's or maybe the Staff's. Very impresive speakers. Arro's are around $1200 and a litle more for the staffs.

Or the Paradigm studio's are another very good choice, as well as Triangle.

Geno

Supporting Actor
well that scared me a bit, I tried to search for Totem speakers and the first link that came up was a microlab/best buy link. I thought, "what are these guys trying to do to me?" but then i did a search for Paradigm's and the same darn link came up. Seems as though whatever known brand is put into the search window with the word "speakers", best buy has to get their foot in first making you believe that these speakers are actually sold at best buy [heaven forbid!!!].

i am really impressed with the Totems [forrest], but have always liked Dynausio drivers. The Hawks are almost as impressive as the Totem's with the revelator drivers. maybe I should save a bit more and get a pair of Hawks for the surrounds and a pair of Forrests for the mains?!?!?!? Bah, humbug, the upgrade but has definately hit me!!!Cause if I get new surrounds, whats another $800 for a fabulous center?!?!?!! aaaaa someone stop me, hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks