What's new

Speed Racer - Blu Ray - Sept 2008 (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
You know, I can live with titles like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" not having a lossless track - its what? An original mono soundtrack from 1975?

But to not provide at least a TrueHD track for a film like Speed Racer? I used to pre-order titles from the Warner online store, but don't think I want to do that anymore - not until Warner gets their damn act together.

Looking back at my HD DVDs and Blu-rays, I see that a lot of the older HD DVD titles only offered DD+, but lossless started coming in strong with time. Its nice that Warner are trying to keep us stuck with the early specs of HD discs.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, even those new bare bones "action titles" have Dolby TrueHD (most of them, at least)..

Since HD DVD is out of the picture and companies doesn´t have to "encode" films with only "max 30gb" in mind (
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
), it´s a bit strange that this type of title is using 25gb-disc... Perhaps it can still change?

Don´t get me wrong, I love Warner, but you know...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I couldnt find the other topic for Speed but obvously we know there is no lossless track.
not only that but from some of the wording on the specs right on the back of the case it looks like Warner just considers this movie an after-thought.

in the grid listing for special features we see that for
video: "May be in standard definition"
audio: "Audio standards may vary"

I guess it's bd-j because it has a spinning loading logo at the beginning
and there is no resume feature ability after hitting stop or ejectiing the disc.

sound is terrific.
center channel audio could have been better.
slightly muffled vocals sometimes.

49 minutes in there is a spectacular fully immersive surround sound effect including a great sub effect.
So while the sound is very good, it isn't great, as it should have been.

Visually this might be the must stunning
and exciting movie I have ever seen.
The colors, the colors.

I want this disc to be part of my collection but the
lack of significant special features and no lossless
is the reason i won't be buying this.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I remember a while back Bill mentioning that WB had given him more insight into the lack of lossless that he said made it more understandeable (though IMO not excusable, as it COULD have been included).

Anybody know what that was about? An SE version in the works or something?

I won't buy without lossless.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I'm hoping an international version with lossless becomes available. So far all I've seen is the Korean version (here) with better cover art, one more extra than the U.S. release ("Speed Racer: Ramping Up!"), and a sticker price that's $14 more than the U.S. version. At least the shipping's free, right?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
And it doesn't come with either the DVD game or digital copy. But the disc info on that site says DD5.1. Crossing my fingers for the Japanese version . . .

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

David I do understand what you are saying but this disc is just unbelievable it truly is demo quality, take a punt buy it you will be thouroghly impressed.

It completely blew me away.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

the yes asia version only has one more feature and still doesnt have truehd according to the specs in that link.
not worth it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
"demo" or not, no one can convince me that a core DD is on par with a lossless audio track after the hours and hours I've spent comparing such tracks on the many other BD titles in my library.

We waiting on tranformers. I can wait on this one too.

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
I have not seen any professional reviews yet. It is funny how Iron Man comes out in three weeks and at least four sites I have seen have the review up already. SR comes out next week and nothing. I think Warner is laying low because the high def communinty is really going to let them have it with the lack of lossless audio. I look forward to renting SR, but will not purchase it unless they come out with a lossless audio copy in the future.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Our views of "professional" may differ, but DVD Beaver posted its review of the "Speed Racer" Blu-ray yesterday. Very positive review, even without a TrueHD soundtrack. Otherwise, I agree with you - the collective silence on this title is somewhat surprising.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's a conspiracy. Fox probably wants to get the ball rolling on promo for the Iron Man DVD and Blu-ray now since it was a huge hit and Warners knows that Speed Racer isn't going to sell that many copies no matter how early they get the disc out there for review.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
True, but Speed Racer was a textbook example of Warner's inability to market a family-oriented film without a built-in audience. Of course, Fox can't market family films that well, either. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks