What's new

special effects becoming noticeable (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have been told that in star trek and other shows, that things can be seen in blu-ray that were not supposed to be seen.

like hidden cables, etc.

i just experienced this for the first time, while watching twilight zone, eye of the beholder.

i think this may be the best of the best episode, as far as having a deeper meaning.

but there are a few scenes where the doctor's faces can be seen clearly enough thru screens, etc. in the beginning of the show, that one could not see on 240 tv.

and it does take away from the punch, just a bit.

i wonder if they could perhaps drop to lower resolutions on at least some frames, such that the original intention of the show does not lose integrity ?

on the particular episode in question, the whole idea was to make the faces muddled enough that you could not see them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Welcome to one of the reasons some TV(and movies) don't belong in 1080P(or even 1080i).

A lot of good television and film turn into Plan 9...by accident.

(somebody copy/paste so Jimmy can see this)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, if you are going to complain about noticeable special effects because of 1080P...

Don't bother watching the original King Kong.

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
One thing I never noticed until Blu-Ray is that the shot of Batman on the rooftop in the 1989 film is a cartoon! I love it!

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I thought this thread was going to be about how fake the CGI looks in the Percy Jackson trailer, or how Oz looked like it was shot on a green screen. Or how the transformers don't really transform, just wiggle a bit then magically morph. Don't get me wrong, Avengers and Pacific Rim blew me away. But they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. And awfully expensive.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont think of myself as being that picky, regarding how spectacular a special effect is.

i am more interested just in the story.

but i dont want to see cables holding up something, when it was not the intention of the photographer.

it takes away from the "reality" of what i am watching.

and in my specific example, it really makes a dent in the episode.

i dont know anyone who wasnt blown away the first time that he saw it - just was not expected.

i love the clarity of 480 and 1080 over 240. and this may be the only episode needs addressing.

but it should be fixed, such that this particular special effect does not reveal as much as it does.

i am only in season 2 of the twilight zone. but i have probably watched a dozen or so complete series now - and this is the only episode of any show that i have seen so far, that it substantially affects the story.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
spoiler : do not read any more if you havent already seen the episode, the eye of the beholder.

i just sent the following to image entertainment, so at least i know that someone is aware.

ya cant fix what ya dont know about !!

Hello Sirs :First, I would like to thank you for your blu-ray release of The Twilight Zone.I am just on the second season, but am enjoying the shows a lot.I recently viewed one of the best episodes of the series, the eye of the beholder.The clarity of the blu-ray release shows the images of the faces early on that reveals something that is very contrary to what the intentions of the producer wanted.I would like to request that you guys "fix" that sometime in the future, perhaps dulling the resolution on some frames, such that the punch line of the episode is not affected.Thank You for listening, and I hope to hear back from you,

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
To be fair, often it isn't HD that makes the wires more visible, but whether the contrast and brightnes is right. War of the Worlds being a good example.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
When the original WotW was re-released on SD, boy, were the wires visible. Were they meant to be seen, no, not at all. What would happen if it came out in BD? I would want 2 releases on it. One of the original, darkened like it was meant to be seen in the theaters in 1953 and a release that removed the wires (or maybe scenes in the extras section), just to see what it would look like. Some may think that was talking blasphemy, but I bet some people would like the choice.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I wonder if they could perhaps drop to lower resolutions on at least some frames"You can't be serious?Alternate version (with e.g. updated effects) is another matter, but "hiding" flaws with lower resolution is just another silly idea.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
There are several episodes of Lost in Space (even those crappy DVDs) where you can see the background propped up at an angle. Another good one, Gilligan's Island w/ backgrounds and lagoon that is (i believe) in a parking lot. lol All of this adds more charm to the show in my adulthood. As a young and stupid kid, I was fooled.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Seems like some of the responses are a bit mean spirited. I do agree that an early reveal of the faces in the TZ episode would lesson the impact of final reveal. It would be nice if individual attention could be given to each episode so the some adjustments could be made so that each transfer is faithful to the original intent of the producers. That ain't gonna happen. Chalk it up to unintended consequences.

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Another thing is - the 16mm prints that showed up for reruns and such hid detail because they were lower resolution then the fomat they were shot on, and cropped.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
John Sparks said:
When the original WotW was re-released on SD, boy, were the wires visible. Were they meant to be seen, no, not at all. What would happen if it came out in BD? I would want 2 releases on it. One of the original, darkened like it was meant to be seen in the theaters in 1953 and a release that removed the wires (or maybe scenes in the extras section), just to see what it would look like. Some may think that was talking blasphemy, but I bet some people would like the choice.
The wires can be seen due to 3 strip Technicolor, the 3 strips shirink to different sizes and needs a full restoration!.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The one that gets me is definitely Exorcist bed. Takes me out of the movie for a second (along with the crawling down the stairs thing, i know that isn't her)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I never thought I'd read complaints about a Blu-ray's transfer being too clear. The whole point of this format is to create a window that offers as close a view to the original negative as possible. I certainly don't want studios to start making random decisions about what should and shouldn't be seen.

If it's there, I want to see it, apart from the rare wire or garbage matte. Even then, I have little to no problem with it. TZ was filmed on film, but shown on television, which hid a lot of flaws. That doesn't make a case for reintruducing the limitations and flaws when a superior format comes around.

If your goal is fuzzy images, stick with DVD.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jari K said:
"I wonder if they could perhaps drop to lower resolutions on at least some frames"You can't be serious?Alternate version (with e.g. updated effects) is another matter, but "hiding" flaws with lower resolution is just another silly idea.
First, it wasn't a flaw for the creators of the episode to cloud the image on the equipment on which they expected the episode to be viewed. Second, if the higher resolution eliminates the mystery intended in the episode, it is a very reasonable to drop the resolution in that one scene so as not to compromise it. Maybe there is a better way to do it without creating some goofy modern effect that alters the orginally intended image. However, it's by no means silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks