What's new

Special Announcement regarding the third Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection (1 Viewer)

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
So done with Warner, it's not even funny.

I've had it with their insipid dvd decisions.

They made a horrible mistake in the way they released Knots Landing, which suffered low sales because of their idiocy and now, no more Knots.

Now this, they're not going to put two cartoons on the dvd because it offends some people? Well you know what, if it offends those people, they don't have to buy it or watch it.

To tell other people they can't watch it because those hyper sensitive people don't like it is ridiculous. I thought this was a free country. Does this mean we're free so long as we all live like the super-sensitives. It's getting to the point where everything offends someone and if you keep on cowtowing to those people, nothing will get released.

What about Roots? What was done to the black people of that time is disgraceful... but you don't 'Not release Roots' because the treatment of blacks at that time was offensive. What whites did to blacks back then is so disgusting, it's far more offensive and damaging than a few racial jokes in a cartoon.

Same thing went on with the Little Rascals. Bill Cosby was so offended by the treatment of blacks in the Little Rascals, he bought all the rights so no one can air them anymore.

You know what, it's part of history. Not a pretty part of history but not allowing people to view it does not change it or make it go away. All it does is give other hyper sensitive people more of a reason to try and control what people should or should not be allowed to see and learn for themselves in a FREE COUNTRY.

So Warner, you can keep the cartoons in the vault, I'll keep my money in my wallet.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The widely-circulated rumor that entertainer Bill Cosby bought up the rights to Our Gang to keep the racial stereotypes off of television is false. Cosby has never owned any rights to the series at any time

But i would love to see a complete release of this as well, just like the original unedited cabin feaver releases, in order, if sony can do this for the stooges, which has more violence than a T&J cartoon, why cant the toon be treated just as good. The statement is true , those that want to forget the past are doomed to end up repeating it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Once again, Roots is very different. That film was depiction of a certain time in history that is based on historical fact, not to "Make Fun". Also, again, "Roots" is not likely to be viewed by many children. On the other hand, Fantasia has been censored. Don't hold your breath for Song of The South either.

I bet if "The Wizard of Oz" had the scarecrow dancing around in blackface, either that part would be cut from any release today or the film would not be released at all.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Since the above is Warner's statement about Volume 3 of Tom & Jerry, I'm gonna say this directly to WB and I hope someone there sees this:

I have cancelled my Amazon preorder for this set based on this press release. I realize the loss of one sale means nothing but there you have it. I'll probably give away Volumes 1 and 2, too. It's mind-boggling that this is the same company that just released the amazing Popeye set.

For shame, WB.

P.S.: What's a good email address to contact them about this?

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
One friend of mine on another forum, suggested that some bonehead higher-up at Warners decided to leave two cartoon off in order for there to be a nice round number (35 instead of 37) of cartoons to advertise, and epxlained that many companies operate that way.

It's most likely just coincidental that the two omitted cartoons have un-PC gags, especially since many cartoons with just as bad, or worse (His Mouse Friday, anyone?)content have made the cut.

BTW, I had trouble getting through PatH's avalanche of sub-journalism freshman wandering and incoherence, but this November's Looney Tunes set is going to contain an entire 15-cartoon disc of B/W cartoons, plus about half of another will be B/W for a rough total of 20-something. Add this to the 18 already on DVD now and you'll see that there hasn't been any reall "No B/W cartoons. Only do color" edict, at least not based on what's been reelased.

MikeGale

Agent
Could someone post an email address of some folks at Warner Home Video to whom we can complain? Let's not expect them to read our postings here, better to inundate them with complaints so they'll better get the message.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak

Sorry, I don't buy that. The press release clearly states the "offensiveness of certain scenes containing inappropriate racial stereotypes" as being the reason why they were pulled. Also, they "round number" theory is bunk, since Collection #2 was released with 38 cartoons.

I agree, that the inclusion of "His Mouse Friday" (which is also edited, might I add) and the uncut inclusion of cartoons with blackface gags ("A Mouse in the House" and "Life with Tom") is fairly strange, and doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I agree with whoever said that someone working at WB happened to watch these cartoons and made a grand proclamation to omit these cartoons from the set. He/she apparently hasn't seen "His Mouse Friday".

I think what really ticks people off about this (aside from censorship) is that these two cartoons could have been easily included with those scenes edited out. At least that way, they could claim a release of a complete collection of MGM Tom & Jerry.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Stange nothing. If His Mouse Firday had been omitted, then the "offensiveness" press statement would hold that much more weight. But Casanova Cat? how is that more deserving of omission than any number of cartoons that DID make the cut? Sorry, but I don't buy that these omissions were for any rational reason and not some arbitrary coprorate edict.

The round number theory makes a lot more sense, especially to someone who (horror of horrors) doesn't have the Warner Home Video rose-colored Glasses on skintight

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I just found the 2 cartoons in question unedited on Youtube. After seeing them, I can't understand the reasoning in the press release. Especially when you take into account the recent Droopy set where they had at least a couple of racial humor moments that more than topped what happened in these 2 shorts.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So the real reason they didn't put on two cartoons is so they could advertise the set as having 35 cartoons AND they also just made up an excuse which they knew would just piss off nearly every collector in the world? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
I'm confused. I know I've seen "Mouse Cleaning" quite recently, and I don't think it was on TV. Is it possible that it was included as an extra feature on some WB DVD? If it was, then this makes their decision even more strange...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
actually only one needed to be on this set, pick which one, because the other could have fit in nicely on volume 2 which repeated Texas Tom, I know that i as others have been complainig for some time about the treatment of the MGM toons, and as bad as it is. It could be worse, where are the Terrytoons, George Pals Puppetoons? and actual official Betty Boop. still set the set idea is the best route, but i think that with the yearly LTGC and now Popeye, if they are willing to do this, yes i know both of those sets are handled by the Film Division, while the MGM T&J are handled by the TV division. there is the censorship problem, you cant show it, or maybe thew just dont understand. I do hope that someone is following up on this. Art is subjective, it is not always without contraversary.

This is the dilemma, if this one is boycotted, then what is the chance of a future release done correctly?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

So you recommend buying garbage so that WB will understand the demand and release a proper set? I'm sorry, but I can't abide by that kind of solution. Besides, there are already two successful T&J sets released, so if they need further evidence that there is a market for a complete, restored, & unedited version of these cartoons then the the people in charge are even more brain-dead than I'm already giving them credit for.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the best way is to write a letter stating why you're not buying the set and that if a replacement disc was offered you would purchase the set.

Since it was a deliberate omission, they'll need to see low sales and alot of fan criticism to spur them on to correct the problem.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me interject my opinion here....

I'm not a fan of Tom and Jerry, but I have very special interest
in being vocal against any company that removes material like
this in the interest of trying not to offend certain people.

In the same way that Disney refuses to release Song of the
South
, Warner is sanitizing its own cartoons.

These films are a historical representation of an era long gone.
Why must we ignore our own history and sanitize everything that
gets released in hopes that we don't piss off a small sect of the
population?

Couldn't Warner have taken a more dignified approach and
put a disclaimer in their set, or perhaps having a film historian
such as Leonard Maltin do an introduction that explains the
historical significance of the material?

This is just plain wrong, Warner!

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

I found the same thing. Isn't it funny, though? No one complains about that stuff being on Utube, for free, but Warner won't put on a dvd what people are willing to pay for.

Amazing.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Ron

Thank you very much for making a statement on behalf of all the Tom & Jerry fans who belong to this forum. It means a great deal for the forum owner to stand up and make a statement such as yours. Warner has a great history with this forum in regards to their annual chats and it seems like they are actually concerned about the feedback from the members here. That said, this press releases flies in the face of everything that they have previously done and destroys a lot of good faith that has been previously built up. I find it to be an insult to all lovers of classic animation. Hopefully your statement will make the difference and WB will correct their decision and fix this heinous error.

David_AG

Grip
It's my understanding that in the present circumstances, letters/emails may be bottlenecked at entry. The best way to make your feelings known to WB Home Video is actually to leave a review at the DVD's page on amazon.com.
(I'd give you the URL, but I haven't left enough postings here for the bot to allow me to post an URL. Could someone else please do it for me?)
I am aware that the parties responsible for the censorship are reading the comments on Amazon—and should they continue to pile up, they may have a significant effect.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
You can also call their customer service line. They seem to take note of issues regarding the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks