1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers for Yamaha RX-v530

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bastiaan, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Bastiaan

Bastiaan Member

I'm looking for a 5 channel receiver and a set of speakers. My budget is quite limited. I went to the store to get some advice and the Yamaha RX-v530 was recommended. I think I will go with it.
    For speakers the salesman recommended either the JBL SCS178 set or a set of Missions, four m70's a m7c1 and a m70as. The JBL's would put me nicely within my budget, with the Mission's I would have to stretch my budget a bit.

Any thoughts on this set up?

2. LowellG

LowellG Well-Known Member

I have an RX-V530 and like it allot. It decodes everything very well, easy to use. My only issues are, it made me realize the difference between power and volume and I don't like the sub crossover at 90Hz. I have Def Tech SM350s as mains and HDT Level One's as surrounds. I am currently running in phantom center mode. The 530 does not have enough power to drive the 8" passive sub in my Def Techs, that's my only problem. I wish I would have bought a more powerful receiver or the Marantz 4200 that I could later hook up an external amp to.

What is your budget for speakers. That may help people with recommendations.

3. Bastiaan

Bastiaan Member

I have about 700 EURO for the speakers, that's about 700 dollars right now. The room isn't very big, it is about 10 by 15 feet.

4. StephenZ

StephenZ Member

You can still get the JBL NSP1 setup for under $300 plus a JBL 10" subwoofer for $300. I have this connected to my Yamaha 5560..........
    I am very happy.........

5. LowellG

LowellG Well-Known Member

I don't know about your space constraints either. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone a little cheaper price on the speakers. However, not much less quality. I would have went with JBL S-26 up front with an JBL S-Center, and 2 N-24s for surrounds. I already own a cheap 8" sub, but if I had to buy one on a tight budget, I would get the Sony SA-WM40. Famous in these forums for best bang for the buck.

These are based on my space constraints. No space limitations, I would have still went with the S-Center, but the S-38s as mains and the S-36s as surrounds. I love the detail in 3-way speakers.

Don't get me wrong on my Def Techs, I really love the 3-way sound of the SM350s. It's just the price in the long run I am going to spend.

6. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Well-Known Member

Michael
    Personally, I like the missions but I can't compare them to the JBL's. I would imagine that Missions sound very different from JBLs as they use a soft dome tweeter and they have the tweeter positioned below the drivers.

Did you listen to them yourself? Any thoughts?

- Mike

7. Bastiaan

Bastiaan Member

I listend to the Missions, they sounded very good. Problem is they didn't have the JBL hooked up to the same system, so it's hard to compare them.