What's new

Speakers for Denon 2809ci receiver? (1 Viewer)

timextp

Auditioning
Real Name
Ravi
Hi,

I am a novice trying to setup a home theater system for the first time. I've decided on the receiver after a lot of forum reading and deliberation - purchased a Denon 2809ci.

Now, I'm trying to choose a good (small) speaker package for this. Currently, these are in my consideration:

1. Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 5.1 system
2. Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system
3. Build a Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 from the following:
a. DT Promonitor 800 for front and rear
b. DT Promonitor 1000 CC for the center
c. DT Promonitor 1000 or a Supercube III for subwoofer

I've heard the Mirage and DT Pro Cinema 600 at a local best buy. I like the Mirage's sound quality but somehow prefer the more convectional directionality of DTs. ProCinema 600 wasn't nearly as good as the Mirage in terms of sound quality, so I'm considering the upgrade to PC800 with a possibly upgraded subwoofer.

I like the aesthetics of the Harmon Kardon speaker system and stands a lot and they seem to have very favorable reviews as well. However, I've not seen or heard them. Also, despite being almost the same price as the Mirages there's not a lot of discussion about them on the forums.

Could you please help me with your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ravi.

timextp

Auditioning
Real Name
Ravi
Hi,

I am a novice trying to setup a home theater system for the first time. I've decided on the receiver after a lot of forum reading and deliberation - purchased a Denon 2809ci.

Now, I'm trying to choose a good (small) speaker package for this. Currently, these are in my consideration:

1. Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 5.1 system
2. Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system
3. Build a Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 from the following:
a. DT Promonitor 800 for front and rear
b. DT Promonitor 1000 CC for the center
c. DT Promonitor 1000 or a Supercube III for subwoofer

I've heard the Mirage and DT Pro Cinema 600 at a local best buy. I like the Mirage's sound quality but somehow prefer the more convectional directionality of DTs. ProCinema 600 wasn't nearly as good as the Mirage in terms of sound quality, so I'm considering the upgrade to PC800 with a possibly upgraded subwoofer.

I like the aesthetics of the Harmon Kardon speaker system and stands a lot and they seem to have very favorable reviews as well. However, I've not seen or heard them. Also, despite being almost the same price as the Mirages there's not a lot of discussion about them on the forums.

Could you please help me with your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ravi.

timextp

Auditioning
Real Name
Ravi
Sorry, I forgot to mention. I don't have a dedicated HT room, it's just my living room attached to dining and kitchen. The living room itself is about 250 sqft without high ceilings.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at Def Tech Mythos since your looking at DT already. A step up from the Pro Monitor lines. I am running a pair of twos for front L/R, a three for my center, and a pair of sixes for my surrounds. They sound great to my ears. I would like to add Gems XLs for 7.1 someday.

BTW, I have a similar room situation. My HT is in my living room that has our dining room and kitchen attached as well. Square Footage is just under 300. I do have cathedral ceilings though.

I am using a Denon 2309 and an SVS SB12+ sub.

timextp

Auditioning
Real Name
Ravi
Thanks Aaron. I did hear the DT Mythos Gems at a local Best Buy and was thoroughly impressed. Mirage Nanosats were great but the DT Mythos was clearly a step or three up. However, DT Mythos Gems with CC and Supercube III subwoofer will cost me nearly $2000. That's too much right now.

timextp

Auditioning
Real Name
Ravi
Aaron, how is the 2309ci? I had decided that was a good enough receiver for me until I went to the local Best Buy for auditioning the speakers. The Magnolia audio expert there convinced me that the 2809ci is better even if I dint care about the 3-zone feature (I cant imagine running all those wires across rooms, I'd rather get another receiver) and the nicer remote, because of the AL24 processing on the 280x series.

(I had considered equally priced 2808ci before 2309ci, but thought I could use the 2 extra HDMI inputs and the new Audyssey MultEQ and Volume levelling features on the latter)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
2309ci is working great for me.

Other than the slightly better DAC and more wattage per channel on the 2809ci there aren't any differences that I cared about.

I bought my 2309ci for $620 new so the money I saved on my receiver went to speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks