What's new

speakers for around $1000 (1 Viewer)

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
What sub do you use with that your Infinity Betas, Luna? And how large is your room? Thanks.

cabreau

Second Unit
My advice to you, whichever set of speakers you go with, is focus on the center speaker. That is where the foundation of your sound is going to be coming from if you are using it for 75% most of the time.

I remember several years ago, I was looking to upgrade my Paradigm Atoms and cc-170 to the Monitor Series. I went to the dealer and he was playing Toy Story there. The footsteps, the voices, everything sounded "ok" but didn't really catch me. I actually thought the Monitor Series, at twice the price of the cc-170/Atoms didn't sound any better. Then, for the heck of it, I went and listened to the Studio Series center speaker (I think it's a cc-470). Night and day difference. I ended up buying the Studio series center, with matching Studio 20's and skipping completely over the Monitor Series line because to me, they sounded muddy. I was either going to just keep my Atoms/cc-170, switch to the Studio series cc-470/Studio 20's or do nothing at all. I ended up getting a really good deal on a trade-in for my speakers, so I managed to get the Studios that week. That was my Christmas present for that year. :)

The sound that you will notice the most (for home theater), will be what's coming from the center speaker. If the voices are not clear, or footsteps are muddy, you won't be happy. I believe that center speakers are far more important than any of the other speakers in your setup, bass excluded.

So if you are looking at packages, pick the package based on how well you like the center speaker and then make sure you get speakers that are matched with it for the full and seemless sound that you are looking for.

Right now I'm using Paradigm Studio cc-470 center, Studio 20's for fronts, 4 Paradigm Atoms for surround and a Paradigm PW-2200 for the bass. I love the system, the only upgrade I'd do right now is get rid of the Atoms being used for surround and get some nice di/bi polar speakers to replace them.

If you can spend up into the $1300 range, Axiomaudio seems to have some nice packages. I haven't been on these forums in a while, but I just recently checked the reviews on those things and everyone seems to say they are crystal clear. They come with center, fronts, surrounds, and sub. 5.1 only though. You'd have to order two more surrounds.

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
Thanks for all of the recommendations, Somebody recommended Athena speakers, what do you guys think of these speakers, and more specifically, the Athena WS-100 floorstanding speakers, the WS-60 for the center, and the AS r1.2 dipole/bipole for the surrounds. Is this a good combination, they are currently on sale at Best Buy. It would be $1040 for that combination. Any input on Athena? Do they sound as well as the Paradigm as mentioned? Thanks for the help and recommendations!!!!

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i think you need to go out and listen...

i have listened to the WS series. i recommend athena speakers regularly, but always the AS sereies not the WS series. not because the WS sound bad, but because, IMO the AS offer a remarkable value. whether the WS system you mentioned is worth about $1000, only you can decide. let's just say if i was going to drop a grand on 5 speakers it probably wouldn't be these 5.

again, not cause they're bad, i just think you can do better for the $$. for $1000 you could do AS speakers all around and get a decent sub. or psb's or monitor audio bronze series from saturday audio with a decent sub.

i haven't listened to paradigm's. i haven't done the AS and WS head to head. you really should listen before you buy, even if it's not what you buy that you listen to. if i want to buy "internet speaker x", i should still go listen to at least six (not necessarily at one store, at one time) other speakers at, above and below the price of what i am buying. that way, when i get them, i'll have some idea how they compare to what's out there and whether i really like the sound and think they are worth the $$.

oh yeah, so have you decided to go 5.1 instead of 7.1 now? your post implies 5 speakers for $1040, no mention of sub or rear surrounds.

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy, I thought I would just mention that vanns.com has some fantastic deals going on. For example, you can get a COMPLETE 5.1 Infinity Primus speaker set-up that includes the 362 towers, the very large PC350 center, and the 152's for rears. This system also comes with the Primus PS212 12" powered sub that offers great performance. This system is ONLY $1000 delivered to your front door. As an Infinity Primus owner I can NOT recommend them enough. Lots of bang for your buck so to speak. Good luck in your decision. Lets us know what you decide and how it all turns out for you.

vm8444

Agent
Real Name
vince mirabelli
hi looks like I am going to agree with max and his last 2 posts and recomendation,,
speakers he likes for the money I highly agree with ,,electronics really matter too.
and I love marantz recievers with psb ,,wow what a match ..
wait for their 1.3 hdmi switching that will be out soon ,,on marantz
and you'll love it ..

peace
vm

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
Thanks for all of the recommendations, has been VERY helpful. Well, I purchased speakers yesterday. As most of you probably already know, Tweeter is going out of business, and selling everything in stock currently at 50-70% off of already sale prices. I couldn't pass this deal up, so I purchased a pair of the Polk Audio LSi15's ($750), Polk center LSiC ($200), and TWO pairs of the Polk FXi3's ($340) (bi/dipoles) I couldn't be happier. haven't purchased a sub yet. So, I got the whole 7.1 speaker package minus sub for $1290!! A little over budget, but I will never find a deal like this again. While I was on my spending spree, I also purchased a Pio Elite TSX82 reciever for $800!! I know that I wasn't even considering these speakers because they were supposed to be WAY out of my price range, but who could pass this up. I really love the way they sound, can't complain at all, but may be a bit much for my small condo!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks