What's new

Speakers behind TV? (1 Viewer)

Pete Little

Auditioning
I'm planning on mounting my bookshelf speakers on the wall just above and behind my 50 inch Sammy DLP. The unit rests on top of a cabinet, so the screen itself extends about a foot and a half from the wall, due to the depth of the TV. How important is it for the front surface of the speakers to be on the same "plane" as the front surface of the screen?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As thin as that TV is, I don’t expect that it will matter much at all – after all, you’re talking only 2-3 milliseconds delay. If your receiver has a delay for the center channel, you can effectively tweak the “problem” out of existence.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It can matter quite a bit. Delay is not the issue, but reflections can be, especially if the speakers reflect off of the sides of the TV cabinet (if they are far enough to either side, this should not be a big problem).

I actually recommend having the front baffle of the speaker IN FRONT of your display, at least a few inches, but preferably further. If it is not a simple matter for speaker location, then I'd get them at least a few feet to either side of the TV, with a little toe in, which is better (further apart) anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks