What's new

Speaker Wire CRIMP or Solder? (1 Viewer)

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I have 12 gauge speaker wire that was pre installed in the walls for future applications and I have to splice into them for an extra couple of feet.

I know how to solder (Novice level) but I thought I read something some where where Crimping was better than Soldering.

What should I do?

I know I should of added more wire before the drywall went up (1992) but this is not in my Home Theater which was done right (Because of lessons learned the hard way)

Thank-U

Harley

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, it makes no difference. Some additonal food for thought. You can take your in-wall runs and terminate them in wall receptacles available from a number of places like PartsExpress. That'll cost a few dollars plus the costs of terminating your speaker wires so that they can plug into those receptacles. This gives a nice, neat look to things and then, if you're into making your speaker wire 'pimped out', then you can always buy some techflex and get that expensive look.
If that's not to your liking, then stagger your cuts on the wire and slide a couple of pieces of shrink tubing over the wires before soldering. The staggering of the cuts is just to ensure that 'should' a stray wire or two make its way out, it'll be far enough removed to not cause a short.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A properly soldered joint will make a good electrical contact that will last forever unless deliberately damaged or subjected to excessive heat. All other joining methods are subject to oxidation although shrink wrap will greatly retard the oxidation.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks