1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Upgrade Pattern

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lew Crippen, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

I’d like opinions as to the best way to upgrade my HT speakers. A little background first:

I have lived for the last seven years in the Asia/Pacific region, the last three in Sydney. Knowing that I would return to the States, spending money on a powered subwoofer, which would work on 220–240 volts made little sense and finding a dual voltage model proved difficult. My wife’s preference, especially living in an apartment having only one main living area, limited the size of speakers which I could purchase and keep a harmonious household.

So I have 5 Jamo A 310 speakers and a small, passive subwoofer. As we have recently returned to the States, and are about to move into a house with a room which will allow me considerable more freedom in speaker size and placement, I plan to upgrade my speakers.

I don’t really wish to spend the money to replace (what is after all serviceable) all at once. So I’d like advice on which speakers I should change first.

My plan was (1) subwoofer, (2) center, (3) mains, and (4) surrounds. On the other hand, as I’d like to get a subwoofer on the order of a Hsu or SVS (and yes, I’ve followed the debates and expect that I’ll have further questions), I can easily see that replacing the subwoofer first might cause a major imbalance to my system.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lew

2. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Well-Known Member

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

Roberto,

The imbalance about which I was concerned was the potential for a reasonably good subwoofer to just overpower the other speakers. Your suggestion of properly calibrating the subwoofer is most helpful.

Thanks,

Lew

4. Larry Vale

Larry Vale Member

I'd pop for the sub as well. If set up correctly you might find you'll be spending money on a new furniture before replacing the rest. Especially if your primary use is movies!

Larry