What's new

Speaker stands that look like Roman or Greek columns (1 Viewer)

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
My wife does not want metal speaker stands in our family room. She really wants the stands to look like Greek or Roman columns. WELL, she is allowing me to get the 1801's plus AKSA 100 watt mono-block and TLP2 pre-amp and ... all for this Christmas.
So, I can let her choose the finish and the stands. But , darn it! I'm having a hard time finding any already made or designs that I can builid.
So, I come to you for help. Have you seen any designs or commercial stands that look like Roman or Greek columns? 20 to 24" tall.
This is the closest I have seen that may work for her. I have to figure out how to do it... she prefers to buy them already made ... seeing how busy I am supposed to be....
Sample DIY Greek column
Thanks,
Al Garay

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I seem to remember someone getting these recently. They are a plaster mold and can be found at a garden store (normally a potted plant would be placed on top).

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I actually saw some of those Greek column-looking pedestals at the local Wal-mart. They were probably about 24 inches tall or so, didn't see the price.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Al, I bought a pair from Walmart. They were in fact in the fabrics department near the plastic flowers stuff. They were $15 each. I filled the bottom with sand then sealed them up & painted them black gloss. They work great for the price.
Sounds like someone is going to have a nice Christmas!!!

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I got 2 of them for my rear surrounds, my wife painted them with the house interior trim. They work fine and my wife is happy.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure where you live, but if you are in Texas I have a pair of concrete Greek-column pedestals, nicely painted, that I'm trying to get rid of. I'll give them to you for a good price if you transport (they are REALLY heavy- probably 80 pounds each). Contact me privately via email.
I'm not using them for my front speakers because my wife hated them and wanted the black metal ones instead. Strange creatures, these women... ;)

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Try the tnt-audio.com site they have some intersting DIY projects. I built my Flexy rack from there, and am building Cat-5 speaker cables at the moment.

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for your help.
Made great progress today. Looked around and ended up ordering these:
http://www.thecraftplace.com/store/m...&CFID=31477&CF
These are the ones my wife originally saw online. They are made from a mold out of plastic and stone mix they call polyclay. Anyways, they have a hollow core and a 4" hole at the bottom of the stand. It will be easy to stuff it with Ziploc bags filled with sand (to avoid spillage) and plug it with something (that I don't know yet). Should be plenty stable.
I'll build a top shelf that's 1-2" thick to make the stand be exactly 22".
The best news of all, it's costing me $59 for the pair including shipping to WA. And my wife is excited about them. I'm happy.
I also placed an order for Honduran and African Mahogany. So, the cabinet finish will be Mahogany. I'm starting to build the cabinets this Sunday, actually my friend Darren Thomas will be my instructor/lead and I'll probably be the follower.
Also, I will get a chance to listen to my AKSA 100W mono-blocks using Darren's AV1+ and Tempest subwoofer. I do feel lucky! blessed.
Thanks to many of you have given me help,
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks