What's new

Speaker Selection Help (1 Viewer)

cobi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
OK I was running just 2 speakers and a subwoofer in the past. Can't do surround in this room unless it's wireless (concrete slab, vaulted ceiling with no attic), and my center channel didn't sound good with my other speakers.

My setup was two floor standing Infinity Entra II speakers and a cheap/small Infinity Sub that sucked.

I am replacing my speakers due to ordering a new LCD TV & custom oak stand/entertainment center.

I want to hide the speakers in the new stand and they are putting in speaker cloth on the side doors. The side area where my new speakers will live will be 7" wide X 22" high X 30" deep. The speaker cloth will only be about 4" wide (not sure if that will cause problems, if so I can remove the doors all together).

What I want:

Option A - Just replace my existing setup with a couple good sounding bookshelf speakers that will fit & a new sub (not too big). It will sit on laminate flooring so not sure if it should fire down or sideways.

Option B - Same as option A but add a center channel that can go on top and isn't obnoxious to look at (wife decides whats obnoxious looking).

Option C - Add in some wireless surround speakers (probably won't be worth it).

I hadn't really thought about a budget. $800-$1,000 maybe?

Maybe something narrow like the Boston Acoustics MCS 130 Satellites, since my speaker cloth opening will be narrow? Or the HS 225's?

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If your wife is dead set on the "looks" of the system, check out the new soundbars from Yamaha and Polk. They simulate a 5.1 system fairly well, and are very compact.

cobi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
I JUST saw those (soundbars). If I go that route I better tell them not to custom cut my speaker grills into our doors then!!!!

How is a soundbar gonna sound compared to bookshelfs and a sub?

cobi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
OK, wife said NO to a soundbar or even center channel on the TV satnd. So, looks like we're staying with option A. Two speakers and a sub.

On the bright side she may be open to me doing an addition to the house at some point to have a real theater room.

cobi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
No thoughts on relatively smallish speakers for my setup? Help, I need to get them ordered.....

Relevant Info:
The side area where my new speakers will live will be 7" wide X 22" high X 30" deep. The speaker cloth will only be about 4" wide (not sure if that will cause problems, if so I can remove the doors all together).

Also need a sub.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Hmmm.......doesn't sound like there is any advice to give if you wife does not allow speakers in the room. Maybe just buy headphones. What you really have to do is convince her of the benefits and get your buddies to compliment you on your awesome speakers as they look impressive
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Anyways, sounds like you are looking for a satellite setup (small speakers with a sub). I almost bought the SVS system (SBS-01 surrounds and center with the Ultra 13). I ended up building a dedicated home theater so I went with big speakers by Paradigm. Look into this as they are quite affordable (SVS I mean).

As far as surrounds, I would run my speaker wire under the baseboards. Then run them up the wall in the corners using that paintable wire hiders (flat track you can buy at Home Depot that clips in place covering wires).

The Center channel can sit on TV or under it. This is where you will have to grow some nads and convince your wife it is beneficial

Now, since you room has laminate, it is terrible for sound reflections. Get a big area rug and make sure the area between you and the speakers can not reflect sound.

You big sub can go just about anywhere if you buy the Ultra 13.

I think this is the best you will do under the circumstances. Otherwise just buy good headphones and wait for your addition.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I have one other suggestion. If you want custom-installed speakers in your new cabinet, you can choose whatever you want for that cabinet (assuming they have some good power) and match them with a subwoofer you can buy later. Instead of a center channel you can set your fronts to "Phantom" or "Virtual" center as it uses the fronts in the receiver to make a virtual center.

You can go with surrounds as I previously mentioned by running wires under baseboards, with cover-tracks, but the wife may not approve of these either as you can see them........unless you run the wires under the baseboards to the back of the room, pull of the baseboard at the back wall, then run Fish-Tape up the wall to fish wires between the vapor-barrier and drywall. Then buy in-wall speakers. Cut the holes and pull your fish-tape through and install. Then put the baseboard back on of course

cobi

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Not sure my receiver has a phantom or virtual center mode? My receiver is a Sony STR-DE597. So it's using the R & L fronts as a virtual center?

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Even old receivers can do the "virtual center". Use this just requires setting your center channel to "none" (or off) then the receiver will use the Fronts to create a pseudo center channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks