1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BillBR, Sep 4, 2009.

1. BillBR

BillBR Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

Just throwing out a general question...anybody got a recommendation for a good pair of speakers on the cheap side? I'm using a 22'' Samsung HDTV and a PS3 with HDMI connection. The TV speakers are really good for such a unit but a little low on the volume, especially when playing DTS and HD sound on BD's. So I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just something decent that will give me a little fuller sound.

Thanks

2. MaxL

MaxL Well-Known Member

what are you pluggin the speakers into?

3. BillBR

BillBR Well-Known Member

Uh...I would assume the television. In all honesty I don't know how running HDMI plus speakers works, but I do know the PS3's new software update included an option to output to multiple audio sources...

But if using a set of speakers with an HDMI connection sounds undo-able to you, please let me know :)

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

Unless you use something like computer speakers which are powered, you can't just connect ordinary speakers to a TV, you need an amplifier to drive them.

How much money do you have to spend on this project? At the low end you can just get a soundbar type solution like a Sony CT100 (~$300). Less than that you should hunt around for a used receiver + speakers.