What's new

Speaker Recommendations for Denon AVR-3802? (1 Viewer)

Sam H

Second Unit
I'm thinking of possibily going with Polk Audio. I liked the CS400i center channel - what fronts/surrounds go well with it? And of course, feel free to recommend your own brand and models.

Thanks!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If you can afford Polk LSI line I'd start collecting them little by little.

With that receiver you basically have just about every commercial speaker to choose from. I'd choose speakers that are more warm than they are bright though.

JBL Studio
Paradigm Studio
Energy Connoisseurs

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Denon and the Polk RTi line go together extremely well - the sound quality is fabulous and the Denon AVR drives them easily and cleanly.

Not so true for the LSi line, from what I've read over at Club Polk. The LSi line has a very reactive impedance and dips very low at times and it's a difficult load for the Denon, which has no official power or THD ratings into a 4 ohm load. Although Denon claims its AVRs can drive a 4 ohm load, first hand testimony over at Club Polk suggests otherwise.

Do some research over at Club Polk and I think you will find either the Pioneer Elite or the B&K AVR line-up to be a better choice for the LSi - or outright separates with a high current amp.

Regards,

Ed

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 3803 and running the Monitor Audio Silver S8's and Silver LCR. Sounds great together.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Sam, the Polk RTI series is great. And the center channel is awesome (cs400i)best center channel I've heard for under $500. I have polk all around (except for sub-Velodyne).My dad has the 3802 with the KLIPSCH Lf-30's and they sound fantastic.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I alresdy had the 2000i,400,rt35's,450sub with my 3802.I sold them a year ago,now Klipsch rf7's,rc7,rs7's,rsw15,NO comparison,not even comparable.The Klipsch are like going to color tv from b&w.I made the mistake of thinking I'd buy the best cc had,that was a few years back.I now know to do in home comparison and shop around.The Klipsch will play super loud and clear with only a few watts,I have a friend that uses a ten watt tube amp to drive em'.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I have the Denon AVR 3803 and Energy Connoisseur speakers, C-7's for the fronts and C-C1 center channel. They are a great bargain and my receiver has no problems driving them at all.

My friend has the Denon AVR 2802 and has Def Tech BP2000TL's and the receiver handles them with no issues.

If you watch movies mostly I would go with the Def Techs.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Curtis, the klipsch are a good choice due to it's high sensitivity rating (98db) to use with low powered amps. But they do sound great with any amp (especially a warm sounding amp like the denon) :emoji_thumbsup:

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I have Denon 3801 paired with Axiom's M60ti with VP150 and I can't be happier with this set up. Movies sound crisp and clear and bass is tight and not boomy. Axiom is not too bright for might taste like what other fellas says. Best thing i guess is to audition as many speakers as you can.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I alresdy had the 2000i,400,rt35's,450sub with my 3802.I sold them a year ago,now Klipsch rf7's,rc7,rs7's,rsw15,NO comparison,not even comparable.
Uhhh...yeah, I would sure hope so. The Klipsch rig you are currently running costs about 5 times the Polk rig you originally had.

The Klipsch Reference Series IS awesome - I recommend it often - but you DO get what you pay for.

Regards,

Ed

CurtisC

Second Unit
Hi Edward,I paid 3150.00 for the Polk rig,1 piece at a time,the rt2000i's were 1700.00 at cc.I paid 3750.00 for the Klipsch all at once.You are correct its more,but only 600.00, the sub alone easily justified 1k more,imho.

Al_Swanson

Agent
I have a 3801 driving L/C/R 750's from M&K - which are 4 ohm. Drive them real loud, too... never any issues. Coupled with the SS150 and the MX-5000 and I don't think I've heard much that can beat it. Now, even without the sub - and I've used the V-1250 and then a SVS 20-39PC and then the MX - it sounded incredible. I used to drive some Polks with it before the M&K's...RT series and they sounded good too.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Curtis - sorry about that - clearly an exaggeration on my part. I've never been a fan of any powered tower and $1,700 for the RT2000i is really high. Actually, an equally as good (or better) sounding speaker in a high passed HT situation was the passive RT800i, which could be had for about $500/pair a year ago on close-out.

Regardless, your Reference Series is in another league and if you grabbed it all for only $600 more than you paid for the Polk rig, I'd say you a) got a great deal on the Klipsch, and b) probably got a little soaked on the Polk rig from CC.

I've always been a big fan of the Reference Series - Klipsch hit a home run here - glad you are loving it!

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks