1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Matching

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Fernalfer, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Fernalfer

Fernalfer Agent

I currently have a Yamaha R-XV1700 reciever, Onix X-CS Center, X-LS for fronts. I have HTD level 3's for rear surrounds because the X-LS's are rear ported and my rear speakers need to go against the wall.

Now i want to add 2 more rear surrounds Should i buy 2 more x-ls's so most of my system matches or should i buy 2 more HTD Level 3's so the rears all match and the fronts all match. I heard for the rears matching is not as crucial. Any input is appreciated.

2. MaxL

MaxL Supporting Actor

it's a tough call. you are correct that matching rears/ surrounds is less important than mains and center speakers. the problem with unmatched speakers is that as a sound is panned from one speaker to another or sent to two speakers simultaneously, our brain might recognize the difference in sound, thus blowing the illusion. given that 7.1 receivers create the surround and rear surround channels from the same single signal, maybe it's better to have them match.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would wait a little bit, as I believe they are coming out with a surround model for the X-series...