What's new

speaker advice needed an appreciated... (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I believe the OSW-1's were designed with the Alpha series which came before the Beta's (duh..) but they work well with any Alpha's, Beta's, Primus and IL series. They are listed as going down to 70 hz but 100-120hz is more like it. More wife friendly then bookshelves as surrounds. I somehow wound up with 5 pairs (all white) but I'm keeping one pair for myself.I tried to con Mike Frezon into buying the 20's, 250 and two pair of the OSW-1's for $400 shipped to NY last year but he didn't bite. I'd of lost my shirt on that one....

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
i think maybe you guys have convinced me to go used at any rate, i believe i an get much better quality that way...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can get some real good deals on new speakers like Polk Monitors from Amazon and newegg.com although I haven't looked lately, and the Primus series from Frys (usually in-store only but sometimes on-line). But used is the best over-all value. But you need to be patient and lucky. It also helps to be in a larger metropolis as shipping speakers can be expensive.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've reiterated this story before(helps to date...never marry, ha)...I once drove 4500 miles for two pairs of speakers. Granted those speakers were...1. Huge2. Expensive...even usedI bought a hitch for my Miata, rented the smallest trailer the speakers would fit, set out on a 10 day road trip that included...Mount RushmoreBonneville Salt FlatsGrand Canyon/Hoover DamPikes PeakWhat I didn't pay in shipping, combined with savings over New, practically paid for the trip.

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
ahh, westwardboud:)... i truly believe tat the Grand Canyon is something everybody should see at least once in their lifetime...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Diceman....I forgot to mention I'm about 30 minutes from Livermore. I'll wave to your friend the next time I'm passing through. Blistering hot in the summer. Can be 20-30 degrees hotter there than in Hayward. About 60 miles between S.F. and Livermore. The high in S.F. on one particular summer day last year? 64. Same day in Livermore? 107.

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
iactually met Ken over at the Harmony Central forum about 4 years ago, we became fast friends. pretty much all of my electric guitars have his hand wound pickups in them...on a side note, what's the concensus on the BIC America stuff?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a theatre of the BIC V. V are from when BIC made their stuff here in the US. DV is MDF made in China as cheap as possible.There is nothing wrong with the DV62. That, if you count the V62, the single longest continually made speaker there is. BIC introduced the V line in the early 80s.BIC used to(60-70s) import Dual(turntables) and Wharfedale.Now? BIC is good cheap stuff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nothing wrong with them, all things considered, I'd buy used speakers anyway.The Acoustech are the exception. Those are not found often used.BIC V are all over EBay. Take your time and a set of V820/830 might appear. Those are much better than the DV64/84.

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys, i've narrowed it down to the BIC FH and DV stuff if I buy new. Any thoughts? Will I encounter any problems with horns up front and domes for surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks