What's new

Speaker Advice... guide me away from Bose... (1 Viewer)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'm too cheap to believe in a power conditioner. I think they are $100 plus.

Ask Curtis I believe he has one.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Cool, Curtis. I'm always interested in comments by people who hear one of the online companies for the first time.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Johnal is going to listen to more stuff this weekend too. He is taking notes. hehehehe

Yeah Johnal, I should have pointed out all the equipment. I have a power isolator that I got from eBay for $70 if I remember correctly.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Oh, not a problem, if time allows I really do intend to try and go back for a 2nd listen. Unfortunately I did not budget my time as wisely as I should have when I went over. I wasn't sure how long "speaker auditioning" is supposed to go for before you are taking "too long" so I had planned on spending minimal time there. Of course, after seeing Peter walk in with a 6 pack and potato chips...i can see it's a lot more laid back :) I still wish my cd's hadn't been stolen just prior to going over. What you said about auditory memory time really has me a little nervous though. It's true...i can remember how I felt about the Ascends when I heard them, but come Saturday when i listen to the Rockets...i can only pray that I can be a good judge in comparing the sounds. It was a little tough to be as critical of the speakers as I wanted to be without having my own CD's to test. Luckily you have a very nice collection of music that I am familiar with. ;) Anyway, I'll hold up on giving my "newbie review" of the speakers till Saturday, but in short... they blew my expectations of online speakers away.

-Johnal

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Johnal-
Sorry to hear about your CDs. Glad you enjoyed what you heard. You're doing the right thing in listening to different speakers and figuring out what sound you like.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Johnal, why don't you get the 7200 from one of your local Fry's since you live in Costa Mesa? It's under $800 there also and you don't have to wait for delivery. Plus if there are any problems, it'll be much easier to return.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Thanks for the suggestion, but unforutnately I have had way too many bad experiences with Fry's. They have a tendency to not thoroughly check and examine previously purchased proudcts and they just stick them back on the shelves. Now, I'm sure they would be a little more cautious with high-end equipment, but I'd rather not do with business with them. Although, considering that this would all be a test...it may be a good idea... hmm...i guess I'm typing as I think. I'm almost positive that I'd be happy with my HK7200, and you know... I think I'm happy knowing that I've made at least one decision regarding my soon to be theater/music center. So unless I'm utterly dissapointed with my purchase, I think it's safe to say that the avr-7200 will be my choice of receivers. :)

-Johnal

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
How crucial is something like that? I read about people having their equipment "saved" by having a surge protector, but do people ever REALLY have equipment damaged due to a power outtage? I guess I'll use a plain old surge protector until i feel like shellin' out the extra bucks. I'll keep your reccomendation in mind. thanks

-Johnal

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Well, check out the first post here:

Lightning damage

The reason that I was so concerned about LOW voltage was that we had a low voltage transient in our grid about 6 months back. It did some really wacko stuff to all of the electrical equipment in my house. I can't say for sure that nothing was damaged, but it sure was scary. Remember that for a given power rating, if voltage drops the equipment is going to draw more current... ouch.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Jonal,

I've got a whole house surge protector at the fusebox. My in-laws had lighting strike a nearby powerline and fry several thousands of dollars worth of computers and other electronics. We were able to put it while building for only a couple hundred bucks.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Chris,

When I have the chance, I will put in a whole house surge protector in as well.

I just wonder how the heck you know it is going to work. I'm just skeptical I guess.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Well, I guess this must be some sort of sign or omen that I should not get HK's AVR-7200 just yet, but tonight at 11:00 my stupid cat (actually i'm quite attached to her) started throwing up bile (bright yellow) and I had to take her to the emergency vet. The original price given to me was approx $525.00 but I decided to not let her spend the night because that really just would kill my budget...so I am staying up with her to make sure she is okay tonight, but even after multiple discounts from the kind hearted doctor, my vet bill is still over $200 bucks. I will find out tommorrow for sure what my final bill will be. * sigh * I guess everything has a reason for happening. Anyway, I'm just ranting now because I put my hopes up too much. I'll write back as to what my verdict will be about my purchasing the receiver.

-Johnal

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Well, unfortunately I was unable to test out the RS250's tonight like I was supposed to due to my cat being ill. I will know by tommorrow whether or not I'll be able to order my HK avr-7200 or if I will have to shell out $500 for my cat. (at least that was what the estimate was) Anyone find a better price for it than at the onecall website? Consider shipping too. :) Thanks.

-Johnal

Daryn D

Agent
I purchased an HK avr 320, refurbished from HK direct. I love it! You can get a good deal on refurbs thru HK direct on ebay. They usually have a few avr 525's. This would save you a couple hundred and you would have more money for speakers, Yeah!

There is currently a 525, 7200, and 8000 on ebay.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Well, here's the update on my purchase of HK's avr-7200. After having to shell out approximately $260 in an animal hospital ER for my cat, she seemed to be doing better so I went ahead and placed my order for the receiver! YAY!!! Well, as fate would have it, that night I woke up to my cat making that horrible gagging sound they make when they aren't well. Apparently her getting better was only temporary. Took her to the vet today during lunch and they did more tests costing me an extra $175.00 They took some x-rays and found out she had eaten the tab off of a soda can and it was lodged in her small intestines.

Well, that means surgery...great.. and what's the new estimated price on top of all that has already been paid? $965.00 That really puts my credit card in a tight spot... and I really don't want to have to return the receiver just as soon as I get it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do just yet... but i sorta felt like venting. :) Seems like even if I keep the receiver, i'll be speakerless for a while. DOH!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Oh wow Johnal....I am so sorry.

Like I said before...you are welcome to come back and listen. If you are like me, you probably won't want to until your credit card is back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks