What's new

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow is this show fast paced! You can tell it's a 6 episode run based on how much we're getting into each episode. I love how they worked in some of the storylines from the main show that I had wondered about. I also love the very real feeling that "no one is safe". That's the one problem with a lot of the big action shows on TV, you know that no matter what, all the principles will survive. In this, you're pretty sure some of them are going to die.. or something bad will happen ;)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Correct Matt, except as a prequel we do know who will survive, which can somewhat lessen the tension in precarious scenes.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams

Correct Matt, except as a prequel we do know who will survive, which can somewhat lessen the tension in precarious scenes.

It was a very intense scene with Crixus fighting at the end and I even knew Crixus would survive but it was still intense nontheless.

I thought the 2nd episode was freaking awesome from start to finish and they did put a lot of stuff into that hour; I looked at my DVR thinking it was almost over and it was only 23 minutes in. The house of Batiatis usually gets the end they sought, but it doesn't always go as they would like regarding both their Gladiators and Concubines; the Roman leaders are always pissing on their plans in some form.

This show is so good.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Whoever does the sex scene choreography should win awards. It manages to go from exciting, erotic material in the beginning to gritty, scary and pitiful in the scene of the use of a slave for entertainment.

The scenes within the arena show the awakening of Crixus as he finds his way to what he wants, to be a champion - and how Barker accepts the loss of his friend/lover to the arena.

There is also a great contrast with the father and son, the heart of the story - the father who was content to be a lower tier owner, to a son who aspires to be seen as a "Great Man". An ambition that it appears will cost his father his life ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, you liked that? I had to laugh at that scene, how completely unleashed they are with this miniseries. Lucy is certainly game. Who would have thought, back in the Xena days, that we'd be seeing so much of her one day? It's now 16 years since Xena debuted, and she hasn't lost a thing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy cow! It was like scenes from Shortbus mixed in with some of the best political intrigue in a while. I love all the backstabbing, scheming, plotting of this show ;) It's one of the few shows I absolutely watch live, and i really paid off this week ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, good episode this week, even with Ashur's evil ways peeking through when dealing with the politically powerful and selling out anyone to gain an advantage or to stay alive. And Lucretia has some rubicons to cross soon as Titus lays down the law on his son.

ryan-w

Agent
I can't believe there's only 2 episodes left. I freakin love this show.....There's so many storylines that they can take off with and make another 'pre-quel' of sorts or just continue on until Season 2 gets finished. Great stuff though, and I am in agreement that it's sad they killed off Batiatus, he's such a great actor in this genre.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by ryan-w

I can't believe there's only 2 episodes left. I freakin love this show.....There's so many storylines that they can take off with and make another 'pre-quel' of sorts or just continue on until Season 2 gets finished. Great stuff though, and I am in agreement that it's sad they killed off Batiatus, he's such a great actor in this genre.

What's great is how well new actors have fit into their roles. Murray was fantastic as Gaia. It does seem shocking only two eps left, but it should be exciting :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, the last 10 minutes... WOW. How cunning is she? She had planned it out two episodes it seems. I went back and started looking for when he started coughing, and it was present in the last episode, so it was before the death of Gaia... I had figured he was getting sick, I didn't figure he was being poisoned! And the look on her face at the first meeting of her and Crixus, in an attempt to begin to father a son.. such a change by the time she was done. The details of the backstory are damn interesting.. now the finale has to be the rise of Crixus as champion.. :) I am looking forward to it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Actually, she started before the series began. That's why the old man was absent. I'm glad he's dead, after setting Tellius' cock to own son's ass (don't complain about my typing that; if you watch this, you can handle it). Too bad about the wife, but we knew she was out of the picture. Now it's just a matter of the fate of Gannicus.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Another great episode, yeah, she was poisoning the father since before his first stint living by the sea. She is awesome.

Once again their thought out plans has a serious debt to pay.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by mattCR

Yeah, the last 10 minutes... WOW. How cunning is she? She had planned it out two episodes it seems. I went back and started looking for when he started coughing, and it was present in the last episode, so it was before the death of Gaia... I had figured he was getting sick, I didn't figure he was being poisoned! And the look on her face at the first meeting of her and Crixus, in an attempt to begin to father a son.. such a change by the time she was done. The details of the backstory are damn interesting.. now the finale has to be the rise of Crixus as champion.. :) I am looking forward to it.

I don't know what episode it was, either 2 or 3 but there was a scene where where everyone was on the balcony and Batiatus went to drink some of the honeyed wine and Lucretia suddenly became worried and talked him out of drinking it. It was subtle but if you're paying attention it become clear she was poisoning the wine. Very clever writing.

I agree that its too bad there's only one episode left. I would like to see a second season of Gods of the Arena after season 2 of Blood and Sand airs, even if its only another 6 episodes. John Hannah is just too awesome to not use. I expect Lucretia survived her injuries from the B&S finale so maybe we'll see some flashbacks of Batiatus? We've seen the gladiators survive worse injuries and when we last saw her she was still alive, plus Lucy Lawless is the most famous person on the show, she's married to the producer, the novelty of seeing her naked hasn't worn off (how beautiful did she look sitting in the tub in the last episode? Phwoar!) and I think there's still lots to with her character like having her hunt down Spartacus and the rest of the slaves but I guess we'll see what happens. It would be a shame to no have her back. She really is fantastic on the show.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
I've been enjoying every episode of this show. But last night I decided to watch Blood and Sand again, and man, Andy will be missed. He was born to play Spartacus, end of story. Looking forward to the final episode of Gods of the Arena.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This Friday right after the finale of Gods of the Arena they are showing a sneak peek of the first episode of Camelot which looks like a great series too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks