What's new

Spanish on packaging (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I like it for two reasons - it is always helpful and sometimes funny to see the Spanish translation of a more modern English word, and their variations.

Also, in the globalization age, I'm sure some extra profit margin is earned not just by only having to print one kind of label (instead of a separate one for each individual dialect/language) but also then when your product doesn't sell and you have to turn around and dump it into the economy of a nation that speaks a different language, you don't have to pay for an over sticker.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
There's one language which I absolutely despise. It seems to translate all movie titles into "SECURITY DEVICE ENCLOSED". I wish they wouldn't pander to speakers of this language, and print the English title instead. It would make flipping through DVD bins that much faster.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I totally agree. Multiculturalism is great, but I am assuming people who are in the US could speak English as well as their native language.

CJ

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Speaking English and reading English are 2 very different things. My friends grandfather was from Italy, and came to the States when he was 20. He could speak English fine, but even though he was here for 50+ years, he never learned to read it.

Plus as Matt pointed out, this is the age of globalization. If you sell products to more then just the US, which I'm sure most large companies do, it makes sense to put the 2nd & 3rd most spoken languages globally on products. And by the way, Spanish is arguably #2.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Bought a bag of cement last weekend, had to turn the 40# bag around about 4 times to find the ENGISH directions, nice workout.
The only time i was ever mad, is when a Spanish speaking person came into my work place, her translator friend was furious that we didnt know Spanish. I will never forget her words, "You people really need to learn Spanish, and soon!" My jaw almost hit the floor. Fortunately, a co-worker spoke up and told her he would learn it if he ever moved to a country that he needed it. I guess her Spanish ONLY speaking friend didnt see a need to learn English, but we should learn Spanish for their convenience.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Agreed! If I move to France I'll learn French. I won't expect everyone to speak English just to accommodate me.

I happen to have a Spanish last name but grew up in a very American household. I don't speak a word of Spanish. Yet a good 90% of my junk mail is in Spanish - some of it in Spanish ONLY. So, now, it's assumed I speak Spanish just because of my name.

Thanks, Dad. :)

-paul

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I guess that's what bothers me the most about this whole thing. I get the impression that most of the spanish only speaking people don't even have a desire to learn english. I work with a small production crew that consists of spanish only speaking people. Some have been part of the group for over 6 years now. I swear they know less english now then when they started. When I ask why they haven't tried, they say they don't need to learn english. WTF?

So in the mean time, I'll just keep flipping my store cartons over 4 times, manually programming the spanish stations to skip while I flip channels, and wait to press "1" or "2" at every comapny I call on the phone.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Definitely not a fan of packing with multiple languages. If I visited or moved to another country, I would expect to learn their language in order to actually suceed in that country and get around. That would be part of the charm of being there. At the same time, I sympathize with people who have to learn english. That's gotta be tough. I can't deal with the language and I was born here.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Graphic designers use whitespace for various artistic purposes, and to to enhance readability. The more text that has to fit in, the less whitespace is available to play around with. Simple, elegant designs are no longer possible.

LewB

Screenwriter
Multiple languages reduce the number of part numbers the manufacturer needs to stock. 1 package with multiple languages allows them to ship the same thing to multiple countries.
This saves them money (savings which are of course passed on to the consumer :laugh: ).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Actually for spoken languages, there is no single spoken Chinese —although perhaps the only thing that Communist China and Taiwan agree upon is that Mandarin should be the official spoken language.

In speech there is probably as much difference between Cantonese and Mandarin as there is between French and Italian. Plus there are many other distinct Chinese dialects.

It also depends if one is considering only a speaker’s primary language or languages in which people are reasonably competent (though not necessarily fluent). English leads by a wide margin as a spoken language among those who are fluent to functional.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind hearing other languages (my workplace has people from all over the world). What I do mind is people who don't bother to learn English even after living here for years (sometimes decades). My wife feels even more strongly about it than I do, and she's been in this country less than 7 years.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I guarantee you, as soon as the Spanish language market in this country disappears, so will the Spanish translations on everything. It's consumerism, pure and simple. That Home Depot especially caters to the Spanish-speaking demographic is no surprise. Thing of the group that is reponsible for most landscaping and construction jobs in this country: first-generation Hispanic immigrants. If Home Depot didn't cater to that market, you can bet your ass Lowes would.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly China has more English speaking people then any other country in the world. Add India's large number of English speakers along with all the others around the world and English just might be ahead of Spanish globally.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Many large companies put multiple languages on the outside of their boxes so that the same product in a single package can be manufactured in one place and sold in multiple markets.

I can state with certainty that products such as HP printers or KitchenAid mixers are sold in the same boxes in Sams, Costco, OfficeMax and other big box stores on both sides of the border. As well, many of these and other smaller products (such as lemon and lime hand juice squeezers) are sold here in smaller (down to mom and pop) stores.

The very thing about which you complain reduces packaging and distribution costs and allows those products to be sold a lower prices.

While I am in a bit of sympathy when you are trying to figure out a small package of screws, do you really find it an imposition to turn a box around?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Speaking for myself, only when its heavy.
You know whats worse than not being able to find the english? Finding that the english was written by someone who doesnt know english. I think all of us here on the HTF have scratched our heads with some of the owners manuals were have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks