What's new

Space: 1999 Season One on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update.

This is pretty much what I was expecting. And I misspoke in my earlier post. What I meant to write is that the text commentaries and the music-only tracks from the Network SD set, will be included on the US Blu-ray, which is a nice treat for the US fans, along with the featurettes.

It's nice to hear that there are actually 2 full discs of extras.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Amazon.com says november 30th. And rumers are saying the UK box set will be region-free. I will wait for official reports because the UK edition is more complete ans I am tempted to buy it from there.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
As long as the UK set has everything and more the US set has, preserves the 4:3 aspect ration of the episodes and can be played in US machines, I am going for that. Plus, I like how the packaging doesn't look like a knock off item as compared to A&E. Yes, packaging is secondary to me but I was always bugged that A&E made their own version of the Space:1999 logo when I love that perspective logo so much.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the missing bits for the US release are being saved for the Year Two set on blu ray? Of course the Metamorph would be a Year Two item.

I agree the UK cover art is much better then the US version.

Which reminds me, did anyone here ever buy the LP of the sound track back in the day? I still have mine somewhere.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Network Blu-ray for the UK is Region B locked, according to Network's website.

I'm waiting to hear what the actual US release date will be for the A&E edition - the only thing I've heard now is December.

The US release isn't too shabby, from what I can see of the list of materials. We're getting everything but "The Metamorph" and a few odds and ends, including some materials that were previously available on A&E DVDs, and some PDFs of scripts and annuals. A lot of this stuff can be found online one way or the other.

The key to the new A&E Blu is that you'll get the HD remasters done by Jonathan Wood for Granada in 2004, and most of the extras from the 2005 Network UK DVD set, along with the new materials that were prepared for this Blu-ray set.

I do wish that the set could have included the commentaries from the A&E Bonus disc released in 2002 (there's some nice stuff with Johnny Byrne, Christopher Penfold and Scott Bosco, and a deliciously catty commentary from Sylvia Anderson on Testament of Arkadia). That disc also had the "Message from Moonbase Alpha" fanfilm.

I don't know that they're actually going to release a Blu-ray set of the 2nd Season - I think it will depend on sales for the first season.

About the RCA LP, I actually rented that from the public library when I was kid. Record was scratched to heck before I even got it. In more recent years, I purchased the soundtrack CDs available from Fanderson and then from Silva Screen (I think). What always confuses things for me is how much stock music they were using in the first Season - some of which are really interesting performances - particularly the use of Albinoni's Adagio for "Dragon's Domain" and a piano piece for the end of "The Infernal Machine". (And that's not counting the re-use of Barry Gray cues from other Gerry Anderson shows - which in its own way is similar to Joe Harnell's re-use in The Incredible Hulk series of his own cues from other Kenneth Johnson series like Cliffhangers...)

Either way, I'm looking forward to this Blu- I'll be comparing the new picture to the A&E Season 1 sets I picked up almost 10 years ago.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I sincerely hope the U.K. set isn't Region B locked because I've just ordered it, and it's in the packing stage at Amazon.uk.. A further report of Region A compatibility at another forum prompted me to proceed with ordering. And the way A&E keeps pushing back its release, I doubt we'll get it this year. Next we'll hear it's been delayed until early January and then February and so on. BTW, there's a "Metamorph" clip from Network on YouTube-HD, and it's stunning!

Word is that discs 6 and 7 in the Network set are PAL DVDs. Region code unknown. I have AnyDVD. So, no problem there for me.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I wonder if the Metamorph restored in HD will be on a blu-ray disc or simply downconverted to standard definition on one of the two bonus DVDs?

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Originally Posted by MBrousseau

I wonder if the Metamorph restored in HD will be on a blu-ray disc or simply downconverted to standard definition on one of the two bonus DVDs?

I believe it's on Disc 5, the Blu-ray with "The Infernal Machine", "Mission of the Darians", "Dragon's Domain", "Testament of Arkadia". All 5 Blu discs have 5 episodes.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Originally Posted by John Hodson

I believe it's on Disc 5, the Blu-ray with "The Infernal Machine", "Mission of the Darians", "Dragon's Domain", "Testament of Arkadia". All 5 Blu discs have 5 episodes.

The Metamorph is indeed HD, 1080p/24. Tucked away as a special feature on Disc 5.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I have the means to make a region free copy of the last 2 dvd's but I am sure the video material is in PAL, which would also render them unusable on a US machine.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
A lot of US machines have the ability to convert PAL into NTSC as long as the disc is not region blocked. To name a few companies that play PAL: RCA, Pioneer, Electrohome, Toshiba, LG...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Phillips DVD players typically can convert, as well. However, in some cases the conversion is limited to specific connections (e.g. I have a player that can convert over component but not HDMI). Also, there are cases where conversion is unnecessary since some TV/Projectors can actually output both NTSC and PAL. The best thing to do is a bit of research on what capabilities you already have so that you better assess what you actually need for region free PAL/NTSC playback.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I plan to support the US release. If it helps the number crunchers decide to release Year 2 in the US, then I'm happy to go this route. And no PAL or NTSC issues.

Plus I can make my own proper artwork for the case!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I think I will too. I wish they had the booklet in the US release though.

Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Plus I can make my own proper artwork for the case!

/forum/thread/302377/space-1999-season-one-on-blu-ray/30#post_3748326

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks