What's new

SPACE: 1999 Season 2 Coming To Blu-Ray! (1 Viewer)

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Another good reason to have a region-free blu-ray player. I own 2 at home. Can't wait to get this december 8 BD release of my favorite season 2 episode.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Watched "Breakaway" this episode SPACE 1999 last night. Trying to recreate the G-force of the moon moving away from the Earth. :P

10634102_10152835769280149_7166750641832438395_o.jpg

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
youworkmen said:
Whatever happens we know that unlike the Year One set this release will be locked to Region B
I'm sure a US distributor will sign on to do a Region A port-over of the set, as A&E did for year one. Regardless, I shall probably be purchasing the Region B set anyway as my player (and TV) are 'worldwide-compatible.'

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
AndyMcKinney said:
I'm sure a US distributor will sign on to do a Region A port-over of the set, as A&E did for year one. Regardless, I shall probably be purchasing the Region B set anyway as my player (and TV) are 'worldwide-compatible.'
IIRC Network and A&E shared the cost of the restoration for Year One and the cost involved in Y2 has been the stumbling block all this time. Last time round A&E announced their US set a while before Network did but there's still time . There may be a US partner involved that we don't know about . Shout for example who are reissuing the earlier Anderson shows on dvd

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
spideyfootballspidey.jpg

A little excerpt from my Weblog posting on this subject.I hope for a few things from the Blu-Ray release of Season 2. First, that the music will be clearly audible and dynamic on all episodes. Second, that cropping of the frame to remove boom microphones, clapperboards, wooden set rims, and other production gear, will be done as had been done for Season 1. And third, that the episodes will be presented chronologically. The last of these is the least likely to be fulfilled, but it would be superb if it could be achieved. I cannot help but wonder about the bonus features. Will they be mostly negative in their tone as regards Season 2? But time will tell. The goal now is to stay alive and healthy until then. A tall order, that, given that so many people around me are getting sick. But this is the goal.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
By chronologically do you mean with the "XXX days after leaving earth orbit" in sequence?
Unlikely as Bringers of Wonder Part 2 has an error and the number of days after Part 1 is clearly incorrect.

If you mean broadcast sequence that's difficult as the running order was different everywhere.
The 2 books I have even have a couple in a different places between them.

The production order seems the best and I would expect that to be the order as it was with Year One although I don't know the complete production order for Y2 myself.

Did the Y2 US dvd's contain the 30 minutes of cast and crew interviews where some looked like they were done at the location for A Matter of Balance

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Yes, the days after leaving Earth orbit, where given. Where not, as in the case of "Journey to Where" and "The Taybor", those can stay in production order. "The Bringers of Wonder" would go between "Space Warp" and "Dorzak", per the date given in part one.If they do stick to production order, then "A Matter of Balance" would go after "The Beta Cloud" and before "Space Warp" (it's said in the interviews done during "A Matter of Balance" that it is episode fifteen).The U.S. DVDs did have the interview footage. I would imagine that those would be bonus features in the Blu-Ray set (along with the Brian Johnson footage at Bray Studios). Those plus "Message From Moonbase Alpha". And there are also hundreds of slide photographs in circulation among fans. I knew someone who had 500 of them.I'd also like to see a short documentary on merchandise (books, toys, etc.).

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
That production order has "A Matter of Balance" as 16 and "Space Warp" as 15. The two episodes were filmed simultaneously; so, the order is not necessarily definitive one way or the other. But the behind-the-scenes interviews done while "A Matter of Balance" was clearly in production state that it is the fifteenth episode of twenty-four. It also precedes "Space Warp" in chronological order. So, I think it ought to go in the fifteenth slot-- as it is in the A & E DVDs and the French Cosmos 1999 DVDs.My Web page for Space: 1999 presents both production order and chronological order. I have a blurb somewhere on my Weblog that explains the chronological order posited.http://kevinmccorrytv.webs.com/sp1999ep0.htmThe Prisoner episodes are not in strict production order ("Once Upon a Time" was produced sixth but is chronologically episode sixteen) in their Blu-Ray release. So, there is a precedent for diverging from strict production order. It would be nice if the Space: 1999 second season episodes followed the chronological order given (the discrepant dating in "The Bringers of Wonder" notwithstanding).

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Kevin L McCorry said:
The Prisoner episodes are not in strict production order ("Once Upon a Time" was produced sixth but is chronologically episode sixteen) in their Blu-Ray release. So, there is a precedent for diverging from strict production order. It would be nice if the Space: 1999 second season episodes followed the chronological order given (the discrepant dating in "The Bringers of Wonder" notwithstanding).
You can't compare The Prisoner episodes here at all.
Once Upon Time was filmed with the intention of being the penultimate episode and would always have been in that order regardless of how many were made. So it's been Episode 16 since 1968 through every repeat and home video release.

In fact the Bluray release isn't even close to production order anyway . It's in the original UK transmission order which ended up different to what was intended as some episodes due to be aired were skipped as they were still in post production at the time they were due to be broadcast.

Network have released practically every ITC series ever made on dvd , with some on Bluray and none are in production order . They are all in UK transmission order and with most regions showing episodes bar the first one in a different sequence to the rest of the country the Network releases generally follow the order of the first broadcast or the London order.

I think Space 1999 Year One may well be the one and only series in production order.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
One could argue as well that the log-dates given in Season 2 is an intended order. As to "The Bringers of Wonder", before the base falls under the influence of the aliens, the date is 1912 days after breakaway. Part two should of course follow part one and should follow with that first date given.But if chronological order is out of the question, production order is the next best option. I would even put syndication order (and for the most part Canadian broadcast order) next in the list of options. It can be found here.http://www.amazon.com/The-Metamorph/dp/B00DYPXLVI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416312371&sr=8-2&keywords=space+1999+season+2U.K. broadcast order is off-putting. "Brian the Brain" as episode five, before "All That Glisters", "The Taybor", "The Mark of Archanon", "The Rules of Luton", and "New Adam, New Eve"? No. Two Helena "double-up" episodes, "Catacombs of the Moon" and "Space Warp", back-to-back? No. "Seed of Destruction" before "Catacombs of the Moon"? No. Maybe I'm conditioned to all of the Canadian broadcast orders, but I find these placements very off-putting. As regards Space: 1999, I've never seen why U.K. broadcast order should be regarded as in any way definitive. The show was networked in other countries (such as my native Canada) with more success and consistency than in Britain, and I'm not convinced the success was solely due to broadcast timeslot. Putting two Alpha-bound Helena episodes back-to-back is something that just wasn't done. I'm not crazy about the U.K. broadcast order for first season either.I would much prefer production order over U.K. broadcast order, even with "Space Warp" at 15 and "A Matter of Balance" at 16 if Network so decrees. Mind, I think "The Beta Cloud" and "Space Warp" shouldn't go back-to-back, but that's an aesthetic taste on my part. I wouldn't expect Network to hew to that. But the interview footage putting "A Matter of Balance" at 15. Now, that should be considered.UFO wasn't on DVD in U.K. broadcast order either, and thank goodness for that!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure we needn't worry about Network using UK broadcast order, since Year Two wasn't even fully networked across the ITV regions, some regions never showed all the episodes, and the ones that did took almost two years to do so. Some ITV regions didn't even screen the show until the 1980s!

US broadcast order is also likely out, since as with year one, episodes would air in different orders depending on which city you were in, since this was still the days of "bicycled" syndication arrangements.

Like you, I highly suspect the production order (whichever one is the 'official' one as far as Carlton--or whoever the current rights-holders--are concerned) will be the one used.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Kevin L McCorry said:
One could argue as well that the log-dates given in Season 2 is an intended order. As to "The Bringers of Wonder", before the base falls under the influence of the aliens, the date is 1912 days after breakaway. Part two should of course follow part one and should follow with that first date given.But if chronological order is out of the question, production order is the next best option. I would even put syndication order (and for the most part Canadian broadcast order) next in the list of options. It can be found here.http://www.amazon.com/The-Metamorph/dp/B00DYPXLVI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416312371&sr=8-2&keywords=space+1999+season+2U.K. broadcast order is off-putting. "Brian the Brain" as episode five, before "All That Glisters", "The Taybor", "The Mark of Archanon", "The Rules of Luton", and "New Adam, New Eve"? No. Two Helena "double-up" episodes, "Catacombs of the Moon" and "Space Warp", back-to-back? No. "Seed of Destruction" before "Catacombs of the Moon"? No. Maybe I'm conditioned to all of the Canadian broadcast orders, but I find these placements very off-putting. As regards Space: 1999, I've never seen why U.K. broadcast order should be regarded as in any way definitive. The show was networked in other countries (such as my native Canada) with more success and consistency than in Britain, and I'm not convinced the success was solely due to broadcast timeslot. Putting two Alpha-bound Helena episodes back-to-back is something that just wasn't done. I'm not crazy about the U.K. broadcast order for first season either.I would much prefer production order over U.K. broadcast order, even with "Space Warp" at 15 and "A Matter of Balance" at 16 if Network so decrees. Mind, I think "The Beta Cloud" and "Space Warp" shouldn't go back-to-back, but that's an aesthetic taste on my part. I wouldn't expect Network to hew to that. But the interview footage putting "A Matter of Balance" at 15. Now, that should be considered.UFO wasn't on DVD in U.K. broadcast order either, and thank goodness for that!
There is no UK broadcast order for Year 2 as with the exception of the first 2 or 3 each region then went off on its own course airing the series in a different order .

UFO wasn't in broadcast order or production order either.
Exposed , always meant to be shown as episode 2 was shot several episodes in and once again , with the exception of Identified most regions chose their own order with ATV , the host team , actually not screening 2 episodes until 2 years after the rest of the series was aired.
And then there were the infamous half dozen or so episodes that ITV deemed unsuitable for the regular UFO audience so they were plucked from the running order and shown in post 11pm slots whenever the schedule would allow . These episodes remained missing from the family viewing time broadcasts of UFO for ITV's 2 repeats also.
AndyMcKinney said:
I'm sure we needn't worry about Network using UK broadcast order, since Year Two wasn't even fully networked across the ITV regions, some regions never showed all the episodes, and the ones that did took almost two years to do so. Some ITV regions didn't even screen the show until the 1980s!

US broadcast order is also likely out, since as with year one, episodes would air in different orders depending on which city you were in, since this was still the days of "bicycled" syndication arrangements.

Like you, I highly suspect the production order (whichever one is the 'official' one as far as Carlton--or whoever the current rights-holders--are concerned) will be the one used.

As I said , the UK broadcast order is rarely a real thing as practically no ITC shows were ever fully networked by ITV. Even Space 1999 Year One was shown by regions on different days at different time with episodes aired weeks or months apart.
Randall and Hopkirk aired on different ITV regions 12 months apart and in a different running order.
None of the other ITC action shows were ever networked , not even The Saint. By networked I mean shown across the country simultaneously . Generally ITC shows were aired by regions months and sometimes years apart.
The only one that got close was The Persuaders which was networked bar a couple of regions but they eventually did join the rest. (The Zoo Gang and Return of the Saint didn't do too bad)
Gerry Anderson shows didn't always fare too well . When Yorkshire tv took over part of the North of England area they didn't show any episodes of Thunderbirds until 1975. Joe 90 was also not shown for several years.
London Weekend showed Thunderbirds part of the year every year from 1970 to 1976 while the adjoining Anglia region did not show a single episode between 1969 and 1981.
Gerrys The Secret Service was aired by 3 of the 13 regions only . The other 10 refused to take it and apart from those 3 regions showing it 3 times up to about 1975 The Secret Service remains totally unscreened by any UK channel .

Year 2 was even worse . It's premier screenings in London were all on saturday morning kids tv and up to a year before other regions showed the series .
I believe it was HTV who didn't air it until the 80's but Southern tv didn't show Year 2 at all and viewers in the South of England only got their first sight of Year 2 on terrestrial tv in the late 90s when BBC2 screened it.

Even the host region ATV ( of which ITC was a subsidiary) screened a year 2 episode for the last time in 1978 - on Xmas day it was an unscheduled repeat for a programme cancelled due to a strike in another ITV region.
When the show was resold to ITV in the early to mid 80's several regions didn't bother to show it again but London did despite dumping the show into the saturday morning slot from halfway through Year One's premier run . All the Year One repeats , Year 2 premiers and repeats were all aired as kids saturday morning tv.

I suspect Network's Bluray will follow the order of the Carlton dvd's as there's really no reason not to.
BTW Carlton are still the owners of Space 1999 . Carlton are an ITV company and were a separate entity when they purchased the ITC catalogue and brought it back home around 1997. But in the early to mid 00's ITV companies were merging and Carlton and Granada were the 2 main owners of all but 3 of the ITV companies but they too finally merged and became various Granada branded names until now when they are just ITV.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
If anyone's interested, I've made some screen captures of the DVD from last year's season 2 set by A&E and the proposed Network's forecoming Blu-ray, just to see the upgraded framing. Here's how it looks:

01DVD.jpg

01BDx.jpg

02DVD.jpg

02BDx.jpg

04DVD.jpg

04BDx.jpg

03DVD.jpg

03BDx.jpg

06DVD.jpg

06BDx.jpg

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
AndyMcKinney said:
Looks like there's finally light at the end of the tunnel!Network video (UK) announcementThis link says that it will be released in Autumn 2015, so we've still got several months to wait, but at least they've now set a date. At the same link above, they're releasing a stand-alone blu-ray of Bringers of Wonder for those who can't wait until then!
In the UK Bringers of Wonder is Region 2 locked limited to 1,999 copies and comes with the Moonbase movie toohttp://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111414_1000Buy onhttp://networkonair.com/shop/2090-space-1999-the-bringers-of-wonder-pre-buy--5027626801847.html

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would guess that Network will be presenting the episodes in production order, as that's the one that would agree with everyone. I don't think the Status Report days will be used as a barometer, but they might keep track of that if they offer little blurbs for each episode in the packaging. People could always choose to watch the episodes in Status Report order if they like. If my memory serves, I think that one of the Series One episodes theoretically happens after Maya joins the base...

I'm expecting that Network will now make use of the remaining interview footage they had from Series One for a continued "These Episodes" interview featurette, as well as the rest of the Fanderson documentary. I'm also thinking that they'll have the same music-only tracks. I'm doubting that they'll have any commentaries, unless they had recorded something with Gerry Anderson back in 2005. I do think they'll have the student BTS movie they showed at Andercon. The A&E or Lionsgate release here in the US will of course mirror the Network extras and that will be the package.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
I would guess that Network will be presenting the episodes in production order, as that's the one that would agree with everyone. I don't think the Status Report days will be used as a barometer, but they might keep track of that if they offer little blurbs for each episode in the packaging. People could always choose to watch the episodes in Status Report order if they like. If my memory serves, I think that one of the Series One episodes theoretically happens after Maya joins the base...

I'm expecting that Network will now make use of the remaining interview footage they had from Series One for a continued "These Episodes" interview featurette, as well as the rest of the Fanderson documentary. I'm also thinking that they'll have the same music-only tracks. I'm doubting that they'll have any commentaries, unless they had recorded something with Gerry Anderson back in 2005. I do think they'll have the student BTS movie they showed at Andercon. The A&E or Lionsgate release here in the US will of course mirror the Network extras and that will be the package.
Starlog explained that one away (in their Moonbase Alpha Technical Manual) as Helen's estimation of the amount of time that has passed on Earth, rather than lunar time.

That explanation might satisfy some of those who need such errors to "fit".

What I find more amazing is that Year Two (if you go by Helena's log entries) takes place over several years (Metamorph is 342 days since leaving orbit, Dorcons is 2409 (or more than 5 1/2 years later).

A gaffe that's just as big is that the date in Bringers, part one is 1912 days, while part two is supposedly 2515 days after leaving orbit. Maybe a typo in the script? Otherwise, six episodes will have taken place between parts one and two of Bringers!

from the excellent The Catacombs website:
In Earthbound they are still in 1999 (2074 is 75 years away), but by Voyager's Return they are in 2000 (1985 is 15 years ago) and in Dragon's Domain they are in 2002 (5 years since 1997, 887 days since 1999). In some episodes it is stated the Alphans have been in space for "months" (The Last Sunset, Journey To Where, Brian The Brain and The Bringers Of Wonder part 2) although the dates suggest years. There are two major errors: Dragon's Domain appears somewhere in the middle of Year Two, and The Bringers Of Wonder part 2 is 18 months after The Bringers Of Wonder part 1. Note that two Year Two episodes did not give dates: Journey To Where and The Taybor.

Message From Moonbase Alpha is set approximately 20 years after the breakaway (ie 2019 or 2020); the Moon will return to Terra Alpha after 25 years (ie 2044 or 2045).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks