What's new

Space 1999 Mega Set Bonus Disc (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I didn't buy the individual releases either. After seeing the Emma Peel Avengers and Prisoner MegaSets I knew better. Luckily A&E seems to be releasing their new series in complete or half box sets.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It annoys the hell out of me when you buy a big set like this and then they have the gall to put out a box with a bonus disc. Do they really think people are going to re-buy this box just for the disc?

*sigh*

The way I see it, I'd probably watch it once anyway. Still, I feel cheated.

Mike

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
A & E have a few options here.
1) They could reissue Set 8 as a 3-disc box to include the bonus disc and everyone who bought Set 8 can send their old
box in as proof of purchase and receive the reissued Box
8 containing the bonus disc and room for our already
purchased Vols. 15 & 16 to slide into the box. This way,
buyers of the former Set 8 would get the bonus disc for
free, except for the cost of mailing the original Set 8
box.
2) They could release the bonus disc separately and offer it for free or for a lower price to anyone with proof of purchase of Set 8.
3) Combine it into a 2-disc set with a bonus UFO disc containing material not on the R1 UFO DVDs.
4) Combine it with another special Space: 1999 disc
containing excerpts from the movie versions with explanations for the discrepancies with the series, a Cosmic Princess trailer at present only available on the French DVD release, and parts 1 and 2 of the Space:
1999 Documentary originally promised, edited if necessary to reduce the strident anti-Year 2 slant of part
2. Plus a merchandise guide containing all the merchandise pictures on the R2 English and French DVDs. And any other extras that can be found.
As to what A & E eventually will do, it'll depend on how strongly people object to the bonus disc only coming with the Mega Set from one U.S.-only retailer.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
They should just allow us to mail back in a Proof of purchase and offer the disk for free.

Edward Brand

Agent
Guys,
I just got back from a store and guess what I found on the shelf, The Space: 1999 Megaset. I will be going back in a few to pick it up. --Edward.
Do Not Post The Name Of Retailers That Break Street Dates!

Jerome

Second Unit
One interesting thing about the Movie-compilations Trailers like Cosmic Princess or Alien Attack is that the Trailer for Journey to the black Sun is available on the IMDB Site (search under the name of Space:1999) but not on any DVD. The French DVD has the Cosmic Princess trailer but not the English One.

Edward Brand

Agent
Hi,

I changed out disc 16 with a double AMARAY case and put the Bonus disc in it. Fits perfectly in the slipcase. --Edward

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
It may be a better idea to wait and see what A & E does with the extra disc. It could be released in its own keepcase
with a nice looking sleeve.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I highly doubt A&E will do anything except maybe sell that bonus disk to us they're only offering with the BestBuy megaset.

I'm a little pissed right now. Costco and Sam's Club with be selling the MegaSet for $100, without the bonus disc, and I don't know what to do at this point. Put them all on half.com now for $20? I might actually sell them all and break even.

Christopher D

Second Unit
No, but I saw a little sticker advertising it at BB and am really ticked off -- it looks pretty feature-packed. I'm going to email A & E and see what they say.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
I've got the disk and the Scott Bosco review pretty well summarizes it up.
The disk, by the way, is in a sleeze inside the box. It's not stuck to the outside like the Star Trek:TNG bonus disks were. It made me wonder if all the megasets would have the disk. I guess they could have two separate packages: one for Best Buy and one for the rest. Seems like quite the hassle though.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
The remastered episodes, Death's Other Dominion , Dragon's Domain, and Testament of Arkadia had their problems corrected (image blur, too dark, and too orange, respectively). HOWEVER, the new transfers are not perfect..they are too blue. The snow and clouds of Death's Other Dominion are clearly blue, as are the many whites on the moonbase. You can see this in the screenshots at the above link.

It's not overwhelming, but the colors look like your watching them on an old, poorly adjusted TV.

Actually, Dragon's Domain isn't that bad, probably because they were focusing on color correction for its remastering.

Christopher D

Second Unit
I got no response to my email to A & E, so I gave up and bought a Best Buy set today as they're on sale. I suppose I'll try and sell my other sets --

The bonus DVD has a lot of features on it. Everyone who bought the individual sets at full price ($$$) has every right to be ticked off.

Christopher D

Second Unit
For those wondering about how to store the bonus DVD, I just swapped out my volume 16 with a "Gladiator"-style double Amaray case and put the bonus in there. Perfect.
:)
Already sold almost half of the old sets online -- this may turn out OK after all!
[Edit: Hey -- just noticed I duped an earlier post. Great minds think alike!]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks