What's new

Soylent Green, Omega Man, Demon Seed, THX 1138, Collosus,other 70s Scifi (1 Viewer)

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
While your all crying in your beer I have all of the above in pre-record VHS. My owning my 2 years old HDTV I can sqeeze every good line out of those tapes line doubled on stretch.

I watch them all the time including Genesis and Planet Earth, also Goliah Awaits 1981 OOP.
I learned 2 years ago that ignorance is bliss and don't autopsy my films, just get them really clear and enjoy the movie. I have a wide screen but even wide screens on certain shots are close to the character.

I have a mosest library with about 450 disc's, I am not holding my breath to see them in wide screen. *Story* was what I was after to see them first time, should they become discs great. I am busy watching "Soylent Green I like the "furniture", seeing the rifleman as the bad guy was a thrill also.

I am not crying in my beer just enjoying what I have to the fullest, until something better comes along. Should it not ever, well then I still have the view of Raiders of the Lost Ark or Genesis with Alex Chord, or John Saxon and Ted Cassidy(Lurch on Addams Family) and Planet Earth (I also have him in Planet of Blood with a young Dennis Hopper). I have quite a few of what you want in wide screen, I am just not crying about it.

While your pissed I am watching a stretched pan and scam, Telefon (Charles Bronson), The Medusa Touch(R burton and Lee Remick) The Thing (colorized) didn't know just seen the title. 20 million miles to earth Wil Hopper, I already have Jade 1995, which on disc is same pan and scam. "This Island Earth" with Rex Reason and Jeff Morrow, and Mara Faraday.
Lot's of War movies. Face it there will be a lot of titles that will never make to red or blue laser, enjoy what you have I do. Unless you do it yourself, you'll find something wrong and never be happy, my 2¢ on the subject.

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
Nah I have already made back up copies, all you need is the original macro buster, their is no CSS (Content Scramble System) on them just plain old macro defeated easily, to keep the good pic I use a ratshack baseband video gain booster. Back up copy looks like new, I have myself covered. Hey how about some Dom Perione Champaigne my favorite, Bonds is Bollinger. :)

DeeF

Screenwriter
About Warner's release schedule:

It's pretty obvious to me that many movies are decomposing in the vaults, and money must be found to repair or restore them before they'll end up on DVD. Warners, and other studios, must weigh in a lot of factors. I don't think there's a big market for a movie like Soylent Green, just as there isn't a big market for Half a Sixpence. The studios were happy to release faded and scratchy prints on VHS and even Laserdisc, but DVDs are much more scrutinized for quality. So they have to be more careful when they release these things, its not as if they can just pull it off the shelf and send it right to DVD Empire.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty obvious to me that many movies are decomposing in the vaults, and money must be found to repair or restore them before they'll end up on DVD. Warners, and other studios, must weigh in a lot of factors
IMHO any studio that has allowed "movies to decompose in the vaults" should be ashamed of themselves & chastised by the public. Just letting these film rot away is the same as burning money. This is revenue that they are losing by letting these films disappear into dust.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I may have overstated when I used the word "decomposing."

But Mr. Harris's experience on "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World," is telling. Yes, there is a DVD of the movie, made from a 35mm print of the mostly restored to its original length movie.

But the roadshow version that Mr. Harris wanted to restore apparently won't be restorable after this year (it will be dead).

And the project wasn't approved, because of cost.

Many, many films are in terrible states of disrepair (particularly those made from a certain Eastman stock, circa 1958-1960.)

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Soylent Green and Omega Man are the top two titles on my DVD wish list!

What extras would you like to see on a Special Edition? I know there was a behind the scenes featurette created during the filming of each. Didn't the widescreen Soylent laserdisc have an isolated film score as well?

Debbie E

Stunt Coordinator
Only one I'd be interested in would be Soylent Green - saw it in middle school (early 1990's!) and know what the big surprise is, but would like to see it again.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
THX-1138 is the unpolished gem of all these-it showed a new direction in cinema that Lucas strayed from as he got successful.
Surely he could have subordinates work on digital restoration, checking in with him from time to time,
and perhaps even do a commentary on the fly with Robert Duvall etc.

This films story, while bleak, is truly beautiful, with its haunting, Zen-like score from Lalo Schifrin.
The film looks surprisingly modern, and Lucas got what-half Billion dollars of futuristic set design for free by using the as of then, unseen/unfinished BART system trains and tunnels for shooting, among other locales.

I dont think I can wait till 2006-7(or whenever he finishes up the SW series)
for this to come out...!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Anything on these titles yet?
UFO Incident, The (Jame Earl Jones) (Universal TV)
The Day Time Ended/Timewarp(Full Moon)
Collosus: The Forbin Project (Universal Studios)
Phase IV (1973) (1973 Paramount)
THX 1138 (Warner)(Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasence)
Illustrated Man (Warner)(Rod Steiger)
Demon Seed (Warner)(Julie Christie, Fritz Weaver)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
a SE of THX 1138 is due for R2 this yr (and presumably R1 as well)

i would LOVE to see Demon Seed make it to disc this yr, but it probably won't happen.
Warner titles for Aug allegedly include a Forbidden Planet SE, Freaks, Village Of The Damned (and its sequel).
no mention of TDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks